• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

caliper painting?

Hello,
I'm looking to paint my calipers yellow like my spa yellow nsx.Does anyone know a good paint product to buy?Is it hard to do?How long does it last?
Thanks

A lot of people are happy with the Folia-Tec caliper paint. If you track your car however, it'll burn off after a while. Another alternative would be to powdercoat the calipers, which would last the longest.

------------------
Richard
NSXTASY

[This message has been edited by Veleno (edited 26 July 2001).]

The Folia Tech looks good when you first do it, but will turn black or flake off if you track the car.

If you are handy at all, you will get much better results by taking the calipers apart and power coating them.

If you do not drive the car hard and want to go with the easier Folia Tech method, just do a web search. Most of the bigger import oriented catalog type suppliers carry it.

Don't paint those. Take the extra time/money and go with powdercoating. I got mine done on my Grand Prix White 92 NSX, and had a friend of mines done in yellow, for his yellow 98. Powdercoating is a much better method to use, especially since calipers are subjected to so much road dirt, and heat. I've seen some of the best paintwork on calipers, turn to total garbage after a month of brake dust build up, and heat duration. Here's a picture of my right front wheel.

caliper.jpg

------------------

Did my paint-job a few weeks ago... If I would do it again, I would definitely go for powdercoating. The brake dust cleaning is much easier on powdercoated calipers.
wheel1_1.jpg

wheel2_1.jpg

------------------
Enjoying life at 8.000 RPM

Originally posted by NSXnBRLA:
Don't paint those. Take the extra time/money and go with powdercoating. I got mine done on my Grand Prix White 92 NSX, and had a friend of mines done in yellow, for his yellow 98. Powdercoating is a much better method to use, especially since calipers are subjected to so much road dirt, and heat. I've seen some of the best paintwork on calipers, turn to total garbage after a month of brake dust build up, and heat duration. Here's a picture of my right front wheel.

caliper.jpg

Where did you start looking to find someone to do the powdercoating of your calipers? How long was your car hung up?

When you took the calipers off your car, did you have to disassemble them(take out the pistons and seals) or did you leave them together? It looks like they are two different colors on your car. Red and silver? How about bleeding the brakes? NEED more info. Thanks, John

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/DIY/paintingcalipers.htm

I bought my folia tec paint from Ultra Performance in Tucson, listed in the FAQ url above.

I had different results from some of the other comments above, but that could be because I painted my calipers black. Only a couple track events on my front before I switched to brembo's, but my rear brakes are still OEM. To this day after numerous track events I never experienced any cracking or flaking and am happy with the results.

You'll want to sandblast, then powdercoat. I agree with the comments on the powdercoating. If you guys run out of luck trying to find a place, I have a shop hear that should be able to do a set of calipers for about $150. You'll need to brake down the calipers removing the pistons and boots. You'll also have to have the hub mount separate from the calipers.

-- Chris

------------------
SoS_logo.gif

www.ScienceofSpeed.com - Click for more info
www.NSXClassifieds.com - The internet's only exclusive NSX Classified site!

When breaking apart the calipers for powder coating, the pieces that you take off -- do these need replaced? Since my car is at around 110k miles now, would it be worth it to replace these parts while I'm at it?

Back