• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Calling all Chicago Area NSXers...

Hello there!

Some of you may know (or may not), I just recently purchased a 1991 black/black NSX and its currently sitting at a dealer in Iowa, but will be transported out of there and into a friends garage in Kalamazoo, MI on February 23rd. And per alot of peoples recommendation, (especially NSXtasy's), once the weather is really good (hopefully sometime in March), I plan to drive it to Mullers Woodfield Acura (170 miles away) for the usual checkup to see if everything is in order on the NSX. Ill also possibly be installing some headers and an exhaust (if I can get them by the time I decide to go to CHicago) and a possible timing belt change if the people In Woodfield Acura recommends it (My car currently has 55,000 miles).

I thought this would be a good way to meet some of the NSXers in the CHicago area for at least a few hours while my car is being done. Im a first time NSX owner, although Ive loved the car for 8 years, and would like to hear some NSX talk from experienced owners. I do not know a date, but if anyone is interested when the time comes, please let me know!

Sounds great! Let us know the date and we'll figure something out. Maybe lunch, if it's in the middle of the day. The dealer should be able to provide you with a loaner car if you arrange it in advance.

Kalamazoo is ~150 miles from downtown Chicago, maybe 190 miles from Woodfield Acura. It's an easy drive if it's not rush hour. (My former employer had lots of facilities there and I drove back and forth a lot.)

I would recommend a timing belt and water pump replacement for any '91-94 NSX that has never had it before. Acura's recommendation is 90K miles or 6 years, whichever comes first. Even if you think it depends more on mileage than on time, the question becomes how long you feel comfortable stretching it. A '91 is now 11-12 years old, and even a '94 is now two years past the recommended interval.

I hope to have an NSX sooner rather than later, and live less than 10 minutes from Woodfield Acura. If you post something closer to March I could possibly join ya all.

NSXtasy,

You think Muller Woodfield would give me any deals on the timing belt and water pump? In fact, I do not know if my water pump has been done by the recall. You think they would still honor that?

You think Muller Woodfield would give me any deals on the timing belt and water pump?

Maybe. It doesn't hurt to ask.

They have a service coupon on their website here that says 10 percent off scheduled maintenance. It says it expires 6/30/00 but they might still honor it. Doesn't hurt to ask.

In fact, I do not know if my water pump has been done by the recall. You think they would still honor that?

I don't know; maybe. However, only certain VIN's were eligible for replacement of the water pump. Check page four of the TSB here to see if yours is one of them. If it is, they can look it up and see if it was already done for the recall. And if it was done in '91 or '92, well, it's time again.

The service writers there are Chris, John, and Ray, and Mark Dettlo is the service manager. All of them are fine. Call them and discuss everything you want done and ask them what they can do for you in the way of knocking something off the price.

My very first visit to Acura of Brookfield in Milwaukee I asked the service manager if they gave a discount to NSX Club members and he said certainly 10 percent so I would ask.

Steven 91 Blk/Ivory

My NSX VIN number does fall within the VINs stated in the recall notice, but according to the table, I only have to replace the hoses (My VIN ends in 0929). When it gets closer to that time, Ill call up Woodfield Acura and ask them if they can still honor it and stuff.

And thanks for the feedback on the possible short get together while my car is being done. Once I set up an appointment, Ill let everyone who said they could come know about the time and day. So far, Im assuming that NSXtasy and NotFast can make it?

By the way, does Woodfield Acura open Saturdays, and do they accept credit cards for repairs costing alot of money? (I ask this because Ive run into some dealers that have a repair cost limit to when you can use a credit card.) Just thought i would ask these Q's in case you guys know before I call the dealer again.

My NSX VIN number does fall within the VINs stated in the recall notice, but according to the table, I only have to replace the hoses (My VIN ends in 0929).

Then only the hose replacement would be covered (if it's never been done before).

does Woodfield Acura open Saturdays

The service department is open Saturday mornings but their two NSX techs are not there. The NSX techs are there Monday through Friday, so that's when you'll want to schedule the NSX work for.

do they accept credit cards for repairs costing alot of money?

Yes.

Thanks for all the answers NSXtasy! I can see why you have over 3000 posts! You must live and breath off this forum!
smile.gif
I would like to know how many times a minute you check up on this site!

Any other Chicago NSXers out there interested in a short getogether?

I'm planning on taking my car to Woodfied Acura for some work this Spring also. Let us know when u r coming. I may have some extra 10% off coupons that I got from previous service. I can give one to you if I have one, maybe they'll honor it??

I have my usual list of maintenance items for them to work on in spring when my car comes out of hibernation. However mine probably won't be coming out till late April or early May.

When all this is going to happen is going to really depend on the weather. WIth the weird onset of winter, I sure hope that I dont have to wait till May or something just for the snow to melt and all the salt off the road. In any case, ill let you guys know when I set up an appointment with Woodfield Acura. If ou can give me some form of contact, Ill keep in touch and let you guys know

I'm not waiting till May because of the weather; I have other reasons. You should feel safe planning for a road trip for service any time from mid-March on. In the unlikely event that a blizzard is forecast, you will know before you leave and be able to postpone you're appointment.

I'm up in Milwaukee and would highly recommend Acura of Brookfield. It may be worth the extra drive. John is a great guy to work with.

Acura of Brookfield does excellent work also. If I lived in Wisconsin, I would have no hesitation going there. However, Woodfield Acura is extremely well qualified (with two superb NSX techs on staff) and is 100 miles closer. (Pauly Acura is another dealer in the Chicago area that is also highly qualified and does a fair amount of NSX work.) As they say in the real estate business, there are three big reasons for those in Chicago (and points south and east) to go to a Chicago-area dealer rather than drive an extra 100 miles to Milwaukee: Location, location, location.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 07 February 2002).]

Two other notes about Woodfield Acura (that probably apply to many other dealers as well):

1. They don't stock 10W30 synthetic motor oil. If this is what you prefer to use in your car, buy a case (6 quarts) and bring it along, and they'll be happy to use it in your engine. Bring a gallon ziploc bag for them to put the remaining 0.8 quart in, and you can take it home and bring it next time along with five full quarts.

2. Their normal practice is to hand-wash your car when they're done servicing it. If you're picky like me and prefer that no one else wash your car, just tell them when you're leaving your car for service and they'll be happy to skip the wash step.

Hey,
Woodfield Acura has excellent service...that's where I bought my '02 TL/S. I also checked out a couple of NSXs they have for sale.

Include me in the lunch get-together. My email is [email protected]
If the weather's nice, I'll bring my C5.

------------------
2001 QuickSilver Corvette Coupe. - Not Bone Stock :D

2002 Black Acura 3.2 TL/S

Back