• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Can anyone help me?

Here's the situation. I am currently with a very subpar insurance company. My driving record is very far from stellar, I have had one recent at fault accident (not in NSX, pouring rain, hydroplaning etc.) and another accident about 4 years ago. I have received 2 tickets in the past 3 years (one almost 3 years ago and the recent one for "unsafe speed"). I am a single, 31 year old physician with a 1991 NSX and a 1987 Toyota Landcruiser living in Austin, TX. I really need to find a good insurance company that will insure me and not charge an arm and a leg (>$4K) per year. Does anyone out there in NSX-land have any insurance connections or ideas that may allow me to be insured by a reputable company.

Thanks in advance for your input, I am desperate, any adviced or assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Join the reserves and get USAA! Well, that may not be entirely practical...

------------------
-------
95 T bl/bl @ 36.5K

Do you have a mother or sister? If so, you can transfer the title and insurance into one of their names. I am probably going to be in this situation myself very soon and have and I have done the research and I'll be saving almost $2500 a year.

Do you have a mother or sister? If so, you can transfer the title and insurance into one of their names.

That's called FRAUD. It's illegal. And it's also a good way to get a claim denied if you ever have an accident. VERY BAD ADVICE.

Instead, tell the truth, and shop around. You might try getting quotes from the insurers who most frequently insure NSX's: State Farm, Allstate, USAA, Farmers, Nationwide.

More info at http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/ownership/insurance.htm

Recently purchasing an NSX and have gotten a few quotes ranging from 361.00 to 880.00 for six months. Both of the high and low quotes of 361 and 880 respectively are from Farmers Insurance. Different agents, same company. My coverages are very high with low deductables. 21st Century was 600 for six months. AAA was 480 for six months. You'd think there wouldn't be that much of a difference, so I guess it pays to shop around. BTW 361.00 is what I'll be paying every 6 months for my NSX insurance, and it's the same agent I've used for years.
smile.gif

------------------
97 T Yellow/Black Stock
99 BMW 3-series Red/Tan Harman/Kardan stereo,Zenons,Chrome 17's,AC Schnitzer rear wing,Smoked tailights, markers and turnsignals.
99 4runner Red/Tan TRD Supercharger, headers & catback, limited flares and cladding, highlander hood w'scoop, chromed 17" budniks w/pirelli 285/60 P-Zero's & Billet grille.

My rx7 at one point was under my mothers insurance policy, and her name was also on the title of ownership of the car. This helped to bring down insurance cost. I was insured under her policy to drive the car. How is this fraud?

Sure it's my car, sure it's under her name and policy, BUT I am insured under her policy to drive "A" car that she "owns," technically speaking. It's legally done, the insurance had no problem insuring me, so therefore how can it be fraud if it was done legally? If my mother wanted to drive the car, take the car, or smash the car, she can. It is hers as well, but how often will this happen?

I'm no insurance expert, and I don't know everything there is to know about insurance policies, but if it was fraud, don't you think insurance companies would've figured it out by now and put an end(or tried to) to it?

Insurance policies are usually written to cover everyone in a household as a "casual driver". So if you were living with your mother at the time, then being covered by her insurance policy is fine, assuming the insurance company is informed of all drivers in the household.

If you say that the car is owned by your mother and it's actually owned by you; if you say that the principal driver of the car is your mother and it's actually you; if you say that the car is garaged (or based) at a location other than that at which it is titled; ANY of those things are FRAUD.

If you are making a statement and you have to qualify it by saying "technically speaking", you and I both know that you are trying to justify a lie. And THAT is fraud - and you should be ashamed if you can't tell the difference between right and wrong.

Besides, do you want to risk having an insurance claim denied because you lied on your application? Even if you think it's okay to lie, this is one area where you might want to think twice before doing so.

Originally posted by SigEpUCI:
Join the reserves and get USAA! Well, that may not be entirely practical...

USAA is the best! I insure my '91 with big time coverage for around $700.00 year. And they don't dance around either. They beatup the paint shop that F$%&ed up my front end re-spray when I called and told them I wasn't happy with the job and had been back 5 times to have it "fixed". The car is back in the shop right now being completely reworked to perfection (I hope).

Consumer Reports does surveys periodically of the performance of auto insurance companies, both with respect to policy service (applications and changes to your account) as well as claims. They rank the companies based on these surveys. USAA is usually at or near the top of these rankings. State Farm (most frequent insurer of NSX's) also does quite well.

In the next day or two, I'll try to locate that issue and provide additional info...

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 02 April 2001).]

Ugly,

I have a friend in town that is a Farmers agent. If you're interested, send me an email and I can hook you up with him. He's always given me good rates and excellent service.

For Veleno,

The reason the insurance company doesn't stop you is they are glad to take your money but if you have a claim and then theey discover fraud you will not be covered. The insurance company cannot lose in this case.

I have received 2 tickets in the past 3 years (one almost 3 years ago and the recent one for "unsafe speed").

From my experience in Missouri, once the ticket reach 3 years, you have to call the state to have it removed, otherwise the insurance company still can see it. Also one can over turn any past tickets (your unsafe speed) with a good lawyer + good amount of money. Like Don King says, "Only in America.".

From my experience in Missouri, once the ticket reach 3 years, you have to call the state to have it removed, otherwise the insurance company still can see it.

Maybe that's true in Missouri (you would think that would be the one place they would "show" the tickets) but I doubt that's true elsewhere. But this may not be a concern anyway; remember, as noted in the FAQ, most speeding tickets older than three years old don't matter:

"When determining the premium when writing a new policy, they look at how many accidents and tickets you have had in the previous three years, and how many major accidents and tickets (e.g. DUI) in the previous five years. For premiums on renewing a policy, tickets don't have any effect on your premiums, only accidents in the previous three years. However, if you lose your license, your policy is revoked so it does affect you.

Also one can over turn any past tickets (your unsafe speed) with a good lawyer + good amount of money.

I doubt that that is true ANYWHERE. Your best (and probably ONLY) chance for overturning tickets is before the court date, not afterwards. But at that point, a good lawyer and a good amount of money can indeed keep most tickets off your record.

USAA has been mentioned numerous times and they are great in many ways. I have several expensive cars and bikes insured with them. The trick is qualifying as they, when I joined, only offered their services to military officers and their families. Now their (USAA) umbrella covers even distant relations of any military servicemen and women, such as former husband of daughter of reservist of some military!! Check with your family and former family--anyone, and find some relation to USAA. You'll be glad you did! Rick.

In NY if you drive the car less than 7500 miles per year and also insure a 2nd vehicle with the same company you can get an excellent price for insurance. I insure 3 vehicles with 500 dollar dedutibles; nsx, 1999 z-71, and a one ton dump truck for around $1800 per year. Thats coverage year round. the nsx and dump truck get the special rates for they are driven less than 7500 miles per year. I also need to mention (knock on wood) I have no tickets.

An NSX and a dumptruck? What a combination, you got any pictures of them together?

No but I could snap a picture of the nsx parked under it I bet. The thing does come in handy every now and then and is only 300 bucks of that $1800 per year in ins. preiums.

Consumer Reports does surveys periodically of the performance of auto insurance companies, both with respect to policy service (applications and changes to your account) as well as claims. They rank the companies based on these surveys. USAA is usually at or near the top of these rankings. State Farm (most frequent insurer of NSX's) also does quite well.

In the next day or two, I'll try to locate that issue and provide additional info...

The most recent report on auto insurance was in the September 1999 issue of Consumer Reports. There is a lot of good information about shopping for insurance that is very worthwhile. Here are some highlights of their ratings; for more details, you should be able to find it in your local public library.

For prices, they did surveys in five cities (Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, Los Angeles, and New York). They show the median price in each city and list the ten lowest priced companies. USAA (either United Services Automobile Association or its affiliated USAA Casualty) was the only company that was listed in the ten best for all five cities, but was not the lowest in several of those cities.

They also ranked satisfaction with the claims processing of the major companies; the higher the score, the higher the satisfaction. Scores ranged from 81 to 94. The top four rankings were:

94 United Services Automobile Association
94 Amica Mutual
92 USAA Casualty
92 Cincinnati Insurance

However, of these four, only the two USAA companies were among the lowest prices in any of the five cities noted above.

The claims satisfaction scores of the other companies insuring the most NSX's were:

88 State Farm Mutual
87 State Farm Fire and Casualty
83 Allstate
83 Farmers
85 Nationwide

Choosing a company (based on price and/or service) is only one decision in purchasing insurance. The article covers topics like how to shop for insurance, how you might get different prices from the same company, what each of the coverages mean and which ones you really need and which you may be able to skip, the effect on premiums of your driving record, family status, location, and commuting status, etc. The article is really quite comprehensive and highly recommended.

Back