• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Canadian Question - Day time running lights

I think it all depends on the inspector. I used a cheap pair of yellow fog lights. Passed with them on. If you got a friend that works at Canadian Tire, I'm sure he'd over look it. :wink:

Unfortunately I don't have a friend that works at CT :) It sounds like there's no strict standard set by RIV regarding DRL inspection. Also, seeing all the new Audis with their LED DRLs, using this kit shouldn't be a problem. I will post if there are any issues.

Warren, if you fix my car while we are in Vegas, name your price :smile:. I would love to have you do this fix for my car.

Davinci - just wondering if Warren got you hooked up in Vegas? let me know, I havn't done mine yet, although I have the diodes ready to go. I am now thinking about going to a seperate DRL system, similar to this...I really like this...

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142348

Hope you had a great time (do I really need to ask?...lol):tongue:

TTYL

Curtis

I will be updating my headlights to 02+ and was thinking about trying this, since I wanted the highbeam to be used for drl and for it to turn off when the lowbeams are turned on.

http://alavigne.net/Motorsports/FeatureReports/S2000/DRL/index.jsp

I wouldn't go through the trouble. There is a "park" lamp in the 2002+ head lamps that can be used as DRLs. I have seen it done and using a 10 Watt Xeon bulb, it works well without too much current draw or heat...

Bulbs here:
http://www.1000bulbs.com/product/745/Q-XE1012CL.html

Yep, I met Warren and his lovely wife. He spent too much time on my car at the show and shine at Findlay Acura. From what I saw it was a pretty straight forward install. I now have DRLs that actually work. No night mode inside (I can actually read the time/temperature/radio), no running lights all around, just the front lights on.

You missed an amazing NSXpo. I would encourage anyone to take the time to attend one of these. The sense of community was amazing. Everyone was friendly, knowledgable, and passionate about their cars. I knew I had a special car, I just didn't realize how special the NSX community would be.

I wouldn't go through the trouble. There is a "park" lamp in the 2002+ head lamps that can be used as DRLs. I have seen it done and using a 10 Watt Xeon bulb, it works well without too much current draw or heat...

Bulbs here:
http://www.1000bulbs.com/product/745/Q-XE1012CL.html

Yeah, it's a bit of a hassle, but I like the highbeams to be used as drl. Just looks more aesthetically pleasing to me than the little parking lamps. I don't think I would even wire those parking lamps up. They seem so out of place imo.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's a bit of a hassle, but I like the highbeams to be used as drl. Just looks more aesthetically pleasing to me than the little parking lamps. I don't think I would even wire those parking lamps up. They seem so out of place imo.

I would hope and expect that using high beams as DRLs is illegal as they are just as distracting and dangerous to oncoming traffic during the day as they are at night! Perhaps aesthetically pleasing to your eyes, but not that pleasant to the drivers that have the bright lights glaring directly into their eyes.

For instance in Massachusetts the high beam law doesn't seem to distinguish between night and day time use -

540 CMR 22.05(2) "Whenever there is sufficient light within the traveled portion of the highway to make clearly visible all substantial objects for a distance of 350 feet, and whenever the operator of a vehicle approaches an oncoming vehicle within 500 feet, the operator shall regulate the headlamps so that no dangerous or dazzling light shall rise to a height greater than 42 inches above a surface of uniform grade, when measured 75 feet or more ahead of the lamps."

I would hope and expect that using high beams as DRLs is illegal as they are just as distracting and dangerous to oncoming traffic during the day as they are at night! Perhaps aesthetically pleasing to your eyes, but not that pleasant to the drivers that have the bright lights glaring directly into their eyes.

For instance in Massachusetts the high beam law doesn't seem to distinguish between night and day time use -

540 CMR 22.05(2) "Whenever there is sufficient light within the traveled portion of the highway to make clearly visible all substantial objects for a distance of 350 feet, and whenever the operator of a vehicle approaches an oncoming vehicle within 500 feet, the operator shall regulate the headlamps so that no dangerous or dazzling light shall rise to a height greater than 42 inches above a surface of uniform grade, when measured 75 feet or more ahead of the lamps."

The highbeams will be at about half intensity when in DRL mode. I believe almost all cars in Canada from the factory are set up like this, with the highbeams as DRL. So I don't see how it would blind or distract people. I've never once been blinded in the day. I don't think one can even be blinded or distracted by someone driving around with their high beams full on during the day unless maybe it's very dark and overcast. I'm curious to hear other people's experience with this now.

The highbeams will be at about half intensity when in DRL mode. I believe almost all cars in Canada from the factory are set up like this, with the highbeams as DRL. So I don't see how it would blind or distract people. I've never once been blinded in the day. I don't think one can even be blinded or distracted by someone driving around with their high beams full on during the day unless maybe it's very dark and overcast. I'm curious to hear other people's experience with this now.

I didn't realize that they would go on at reduced intensity - that makes it much better!:smile:

I personally find normal intensity high beams very distracting during the day, regardless of how bright the sun is. I've also seen some stock DRLs on some cars (mostly GM) that are angled too high and way too bright.

Yep, I met Warren and his lovely wife. He spent too much time on my car at the show and shine at Findlay Acura. From what I saw it was a pretty straight forward install. I now have DRLs that actually work. No night mode inside (I can actually read the time/temperature/radio), no running lights all around, just the front lights on.

Thanks, I gotta get this done...pain in the *&^% not being able to see anything in the daytime - (whilst in night mode currently)

Any idea where it (NSXPO) will be next year?

I need to plan way in advance at work for booking holiday time...like January 2011...

Back