• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Car event etiquette and proposal

One of the many reasons I enjoy owning an NSX is that it promotes my eleven year old son's automotive enthusiasm. In order to further promote his enthusiasm, I take him with me to car events whenever possible.

I took him to the Cars & Coffee event attended by more than thirty members of the NSX community in December, and we had a great time. My son told one fellow standing next to his Ford GT how much he admired the car, and that gentleman chatted with him about it and offered him the opportunity to sit in it. My son still talks about that special experience.

Earlier today, my son and I attended a local car event promoted on NSXPrime. I will not cite the name of the sponsor because he was not responsible for the conduct of those who attended his event.

Most of the owners of the various imported sports cars and sports sedans at this event were young men. Even making allowances for youth, I found the prevalence of vulgarity to be remarkable. I was appalled that so many people continued to speak profanely in the obvious presence of a child. Our brief, unpleasant visit to this event ended shortly after the young owner of a modified 350Z responded to my son's complimenting his car by simply turning away and initiating conversation with a peer.

I do not believe that participants in a car event are obliged to dote on young enthusiasts. I do not believe that people attending a public event are obliged to conform to arbitrary censorship. I do believe, however, that neither youth nor ownership of any type of car afford one the right to be vulgar or rude.

I wonder...are there any NSX owners or owners of other interesting cars here in Southern California interested in participating in an event considerate of the interests of budding enthusiasts? If sufficient interest exists, I will organize a short, scenic drive through the San Bernardino National Forest above Claremont/Upland ending with an informal car show at a kid-friendly venue.

One of the many reasons I enjoy owning an NSX is that it promotes my eleven year old son's automotive enthusiasm. In order to further promote his enthusiasm, I take him with me to car events whenever possible.

I took him to the Cars & Coffee event attended by more than thirty members of the NSX community in December, and we had a great time. My son told one fellow standing next to his Ford GT how much he admired the car, and that gentleman chatted with him about it and offered him the opportunity to sit in it. My son still talks about that special experience.

Earlier today, my son and I attended a local car event promoted on NSXPrime. I will not cite the name of the sponsor because he was not responsible for the conduct of those who attended his event.

Most of the owners of the various imported sports cars and sports sedans at this event were young men. Even making allowances for youth, I found the prevalence of vulgarity to be remarkable. I was appalled that so many people continued to speak profanely in the obvious presence of a child. Our brief, unpleasant visit to this event ended shortly after the young owner of a modified 350Z responded to my son's complimenting his car by simply turning away and initiating conversation with a peer.

I do not believe that participants in a car event are obliged to dote on young enthusiasts. I do not believe that people attending a public event are obliged to conform to arbitrary censorship. I do believe, however, that neither youth nor ownership of any type of car afford one the right to be vulgar or rude.

I wonder...are there any NSX owners or owners of other interesting cars here in Southern California interested in participating in an event considerate of the interests of budding enthusiasts? If sufficient interest exists, I will organize a short, scenic drive through the San Bernardino National Forest above Claremont/Upland ending with an informal car show at a kid-friendly venue.

I'm sorry to hear of your recent, unfortunate experience.

The reality is that NSX owners, like the population in general, run the full spectrum of personalities and maturity levels. I'm sure I'll get flamed for this but I've found that in my time on this board and of NSX ownership that as the NSX becomes more and more affordable, the demographics have shifted somewhat. Some of that is good, and some of it bad.

One of the best articles I ever saw on Prime described the code of exotic ownership and I know that many NSX owners still subscribe to that mentality. It seems that you encountered a few who do not.

I only hope this bad experience did not sour your son, or you, on NSX ownership or more importantly, enthusiasm for the autombile in general.

I will organize a short, scenic drive through the San Bernardino National Forest above Claremont/Upland ending with an informal car show at a kid-friendly venue.

352368-83399.jpg

Totally understand. I almost had a similar experience here in Oklahoma at a recent import event. It was described as a family orientated gathering but the thong strutting divas and excessive vulgarity made it quite the opposite. I'm no puritan but it was a little much and nothing I'd want to take my daughter to in the future. It may be a bit much to expect tuner car shows to be resemble Pebble Beach concurs or anything close to it.

It's hard to face facts, the demographics for the NSX are getting younger but they bring both good and bad characteristics to the community.

The World is full of A-holes,and some of them drive sportscars. Sorry you and your son were disapointed after making the trip out there (I think I know which meet you're talking about.).

"Really, the venue at Cars and Coffee can't compare to said or (unsaid) event."

Were not talking venue, just maturity level & basic manners.
When kids or women are present, language should be in check.

I have no idea as to the meet your referring to, but understand what took place.

On the other hand, meeting a bunch of 20 year old guys w cars in a parking lot you can expect things not to be geared 100% towards kids.

So, you might want to stick to the larger events. Or at least know who will be attending the meet.

Da Hapa hit it on the head. So I wont go back over it.

:biggrin:

people will be people. esp in today society.

i dont think people cuss anymore to cuss.. its just a habit.

some people say "like" every other word and other say "fcuk"

younger the crowd, more colorful the language.

way of the world. :confused: hard to find a solution to change everyone.

Having a good vocabulary is not a high priority for some people and they fall back on peppering their conversation with intensives.

Manners are inconvenient.
Crude,vulgar language and behavior is defended as being part of a person's "culture".

It takes discipline and a commitment to develop language skills.
Who has time for that?:biggrin:

Loud, vulgar language is piped out of passing cars and spills from mouths in restaurants, streets, airports, malls and so on.
Calling someone on it can brand the complainant as "judgmental" (we're not supposed to judge, it's all good:rolleyes: ) and could even be dangerous.

Provocative language is touted as a right to expression and you are supposed to keep quiet and leave if you don't like it. Speak up and you could be considered confrontational and inciting.

Try thinking as such displays as "colorful" and perhaps it will help soften the impact and get you to accept this change in our society with grace and tolerance.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
i use to go to meets where i live every sat night. but the other attendees started doing stupid Sh*t like drifting around the parking lot and burn outs in the parking lot. it wasnt my thing. i'm young and still in my mid 20's and this was too much. To many young minded kids out there trying to prove something. Majority of the people are cool but those select few that ruins it for evereyone else. i'm a sailor and i curse like one to but i catch myself if i'm in the present of a child or female. i would love to attend an event that i can just relax, enjoy the view, chat and just meet new people. i been to a few and they we're all great. one of the ones i went to was at village roaster in woodland hills. (off of Mulholland drive of the 101 freeway) last sunday of every month. alot fo great people there. alot of exotic. more of a mature crowd in fact i think i was one of the youngest one there and alot of frendly people. i think it would be a great place to take take your son. On that note i would like to attend one last even before i head out to Japan for +5 years.

Back