• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Car shipping

Hey guys so i found the NSX i wanted to purchase but I am located in California and the seller is located in chicago. Which shipping company is the best to get it shipped from chicago to Oakland in California? About how much will it costs? Thank you prime!

I used Plycar Transportation Group when I bought my car. Shipped from Indiana to Oregon. If I remember correctly it was under $2000. Great service. You can go online and request a quote. Most shipping companies have GPS-equipped trucks so you can track your car's progress online.

You need to be careful when looking at shipping companies. Some are brokers who outsource the shipping to a variety of transporters - Montway is one of these. You want to make sure your car is with the same company throughout the duration of its journey. In some cases brokers will be cheaper, but not significantly so, and not worth the savings IMO. Shippers will quote open and closed transportation. Open is obviously just that - open, meaning your car is exposed to the elements over the course of the trip. I'd avoid that if at all possible unless you have a really tight budget. Closed can either be a hard-sided trailer or soft-sided. Either will protect your car from the elements. It will definitely need a bath once it arrives.

Also know that shippers want to run with a full trailer when ever possible. This may mean you might not have control over the specific pickup date you desire. Finally, not all shippers run East / West routes and vice versa. Some, like Intercity Lines, primarily run up and down the east coast.

Look at shippers who have experience transporting high dollar cars. Those who service RM Auctions, Barrett-Jackson and the like have the experience to handle expensive exotics. They will likely take better care of your car than your average Joe with a trailer.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I have always used intercity and nothing but good experience.

Thanks mwagner10702 and docjohn. So is plycar Transportation group a broker? Are they closed or open transportation?

Thanks mwagner10702 and docjohn. So is plycar Transportation group a broker? Are they closed or open transportation?

No, Plycar is NOT a broker. They own their own fleet of trucks and trailers. Closed trailers.

I recommend Intercity Lines as well. The driver was awesome. He even partially uncovered a couple of Ferrari's on the truck (one worth $8M and the other $5M) so I could check them out. My car left Los Angeles area on 10/13 and arrived in Houston on 10/18. $1500.

Also what should I do to buy a car from a different state. Im in california and the seller is in illinoise. Should I give him the moeny first than have him load the car when the shipping company arrives, or I should be there when they load the car to ship.

Thanks I will look into them! [MENTION=34102]TxGlenn[/MENTION] and [MENTION=17847]GECKO[/MENTION]. ANd Txglenn dont you post videos on youtube about your blue nsx?

No that's not me. Mine is silver and I've only had it a few weeks. You'll want to take care of the sale before you load it (or I'm sure the seller will want to). I found mine here on Prime from a solid guy that I had checked out prior to buying. The shipping company is going to need some lead time in order to figure out when they can pick it up so you will likely have to take care of the transaction beforehand and trust the seller will handle the coordination with the transport company. Either that or figure out when the transporter will be there and then take care of the everything real quick. But my transporter called and said "we want to pick it up tomorrow" and we weren't ready. Plus, even though we both used the same bank, the funds weren't posted in his account until the following day so he wanted to make sure they had posted prior to releasing the car which is understandable. So it wasn't like I could just fly in, go to the bank, sign the title, load the car on the transport, and fly out.

Bottom line is you really need to make sure the other party is not going to screw you somehow. If anything starts feeling fishy, abort!

Older post here I know, but I've had real good luck with a shipper I've used multiple times, A1 Auto Transport. They're pros and tend to be on the cheaper side when it comes to shipping long distance. Not sure what you ended up paying, but those guys are worth a look if you're trying to save a buck or two.

I'll second intercity. Transported my nsx from Arizona to northern Virginia. White glove service.

Intercity brought my NSX from Orange County, California to Ohio without any problems.

High end car shipping is their business.

Do not try to save a few $$ and use some fly by night outfit.

Intercity Lines is fantastic! They're the most professional people. They ship for Jay Leno and Wayne Carini. They do a lot of shipping to Pebble Beach, etc. They all want a full truck and you can't blame them. But the Intercity kept in touch with me almost every day as they delivered my car from Arizona to Rhode Island. He told me exactly when my car would arrive and hit the target within 2-3 minutes. They did a concurs type inspection of the car before it left and reviewed the inspection with me when it arrived. The driver was very courteous and professional. I couldn't have been happier. I will never use any other transporter.

Last edited:
ditto.............

I prefer Citizenshipper because i am pretty satisfied with service when i used them last time. Excellent service! Runner stayed in touch with me and kept me up to date on all stops. I like their car shipping service(check). And they can help to transport your car cheaply just follow these step:-
List your shipment
Get matched to haulers
Receive their quotes
Book your driver

And main thing is all runners are background checked and due to more option you get good pricing

Also once look at uShip. They are also similar and good

I have had great success with Intercity as well. More recently used Passport Transport --- they equal the quality of Intercity in terms of care and price. Took a bit longer than promised to get the car here, but believe all the car carriers were experiencing the same delays. Can highly recommend. Jay

The logistics of auto transport are based somewhat on luck.Right now you have most trucks dedicated to Monterey..If there are big collector car auctions/shows..many trucks are on standbye. On a routine week you are at the mercy of logistics of filling a truck with random cars basically going in the same direction.If you want priority you pay more..or you find a small vendor with a car hauler...

Back