• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Carfax "minor fender bender"... food for thought.......

I guess I have a little too much time on my hands right now... but I got to thinking... have you ever heard an "incident" report on carfax as any more than a "fender bender" by the cars owner?

heck.. it's even the excuse when the car has a salvage title for heavens sake!!!!

so the question is.... most of the people on this site ( and others) take a picture of there car everywhere it sits for more than 10 mins it seems.....

WHY THEN, DON'T THEY HAVE PICTURES OF THE 'MINOR FENDER BENDER: THE CAR WAS IN TO EARN THE CARFAX INCIDENT REPORT IN THE FIRST PLACE??

the single most significant event in the cars life... and no one has a picture????

not just true of NSX of course.. porsche guys and motorcycle guys ... the same way......

If I had an incident in my NSX... I'd have 50 pictures... and would be a permanent part of the cars records... good, bad, or indifferent...

my .02

It's hard to take pictures with tears in your eyes and a straight jacket on. When I wrecked my 91 it took a few days for me to get some pictures. I was so sick about it I couldn't look at it. And I still have a hard time looking at the pictures.

Pretty much every accident results in the bending of one or more fenders. So "fender bender" may be accurate, even when it is not really the truth.

my point is...... every accident is described as "I got backed into in a parking lot" or "I ran over something"... but yet it shows up on carfax... if my car had ANY DAMAGE ever.... I'd get a picture to show the next prospective buyer... that it really was no big deal

if you don't have a picture... you should consider it a rather big event... IMHO

it's like a timing belt change... without a receipt... there was no timing belt change

Last edited:
my point exacly....

buyer looks at carfax... sees an accident reported...
seller.... oh I just hit a parking block a couple years ago and had it fixed
buyer... or great.. lets see the picture!!!
seller... I didn't take one
Buyer... oh then you really ran off the road and jumped a ditch then!!!!! no picture.... magor accident

it's understandable if the accident took place 10+ years ago before the advent of smartphones and cameraphones. although even then I kept a disposable camera in the glovebox for such situations.

nowadays when there are cameras everywhere, i agree it is inexcusable.

Back