• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

CarFax odometer discrepancy

Looked at 2 NSX's recently with odometer discrepancies on the Car Fax. Seems like owners worked in one state then moved back to another and reported the wrong mileage to DMV.

If i buy one of these how will this effect the resale value when it comes time to sell?

I buy and sell my cars a lot and I always make sure they have a perfect Car Fax so its easier to sell. I could keep the car a year or 10 years and I'm afraid it could hurt resale.

opinions?

Thx

G

You can get CarFax to fix the error and remove from the history. When I got my NSX the emissions idiots along the way reported the mileage as 143,000 and the year before it had 41,000. I emailed carfax the service records that showed the correct mileage for the time frame. And obviously the car wasn't driven 100k in one year.

Carfax removed the error from the records once I sent them this information.

You can get CarFax to fix the error and remove from the history. When I got my NSX the emissions idiots along the way reported the mileage as 143,000 and the year before it had 41,000. I emailed carfax the service records that showed the correct mileage for the time frame. And obviously the car wasn't driven 100k in one year.

Carfax removed the error from the records once I sent them this information.

My friend was trying to sell his pristine E36 a few years back. The first gentleman that called asked about the salvage and why he didn't mention it. Knowing the complete history, he knew it had a clean title.

Ran a carfax, and it came up salvaged during his ownership. He tried numerous times to contact them and show documentation to support the BS claims. Their answer, we have our sources and stand by them. Over a year he dealt with them. He was never able to get that changed on the carfax. Finally found a member of the BMW community that wanted the car and didn't care about the carfax as he knew the condition was perfect and never wrecked. Little man gets screwed and big company doesn't have to show any supporting documents to substantiate the claim.

My friend was trying to sell his pristine E36 a few years back. The first gentleman that called asked about the salvage and why he didn't mention it. Knowing the complete history, he knew it had a clean title.

Ran a carfax, and it came up salvaged during his ownership. He tried numerous times to contact them and show documentation to support the BS claims. Their answer, we have our sources and stand by them. Over a year he dealt with them. He was never able to get that changed on the carfax. Finally found a member of the BMW community that wanted the car and didn't care about the carfax as he knew the condition was perfect and never wrecked. Little man gets screwed and big company doesn't have to show any supporting documents to substantiate the claim.

That sucks. Sounds a lot like how the big credit bureaus operate: blame the source for the problem and lay the onus on the victim to correct it with them. :mad:

If i buy one of these how will this effect the resale value when it comes time to sell?
It won't. When Carfax has an odometer error, the records typically look like this:

01/12/2001 29,275 titled and registered
06/30/2001 32,561 emissions tested
03/31/2002 134,768 timing belt replaced
06/30/2002 36,209 emissions tested ***POSSIBLE ODOMETER ROLLBACK***
06/30/2003 41,926 some other service

Anyone can see from the Carfax that there was a typo when entering one of the odometer readings, and that it doesn't represent a problem in any way. If it were a true rollback, you'd see a whole lot of high numbers, and then a whole lot of much lower ones.

Back