• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

CarFax problem for my nsx?!

I had a carfax done before purchasing this vehicle in arizona, but I ran another since I plan to sell my NSX soon, and its stating that it has "odometer problems"? how is this? it carfax also states that the DMV issued a Non Actual Mileage title.

The funny thing is it states that My car....yes My car was up for sale in new york?! could this probably be from a internet fraud?

The copy of my carfax report is here:

12/11/2003 91,074 Arizona previous owner
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Mesa, AZ
Title #069H003344039
Title or registration issued
New owner reported
05/26/2004 Service Facility
Vehicle serviced
11/19/2004 96,000 California
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Fullerton, CA My registration
New owner reported
NOT ACTUAL MILEAGE TITLE ISSUED

CARFAX AdvisorTM
A NAM title is issued when the owner discloses mileage fraud or a broken odometer to a DMV. The actual mileage of this vehicle is unknown.

Mileage reported after this reading is potentially unreliable.
11/23/2004 96,498 California 498 Miles added driving from AZ to Cali
Inspection Station
Passed emissions inspection
12/31/2004 California
Motor Vehicle Dept.
NOT ACTUAL MILEAGE TITLE ISSUED
02/15/2005 Private Owner Who the Hell is this?!?!
New York, NY
Vehicle offered for sale

As you can see all the Miles line up....the car has currently 107,000 miles and some change. Any recomendations on what I should do?

The latest crook scam is using all the available vin#'s on the web and putting a valid vin(yours) on a stolen car and then registration is aquired (hence the new owner) it's a flaw in the registration system and one day federal agents will be knocking at whoevers door that owns the stolen car and take it with no compensation to the person who bought it.I would take your car to a dealer and make sure it hasn't been tamperd with.I also saw a red nsx 95-96 for sale in new york way under value that said it had been re-vinned in the sale ad WHAT THE F***! RED FLAG

I was talking to a friend of mine yesterday, who happens to be a cop, and he was telling me about how some crooks use other peoples vin number. They will steal cars and then use the internet or walk through a parking lot and get a clean vin from someones car. After that they will make a fake vin tag to put on the door, and hope no one looks in the other places for the vin. Then apply for a new title, since I guess it is not as hard as one would think to get a copy of someone elses title. Years down the road it comes up that the vin is not the correct one for the car, the car gets siezed and the only recourse a person has is to hope their insurance pays off.

nsxscool said:
I also saw a red nsx 95-96 for sale in new york way under value that said it had been re-vinned in the sale ad WHAT THE F***! RED FLAG

Carfax had this one as stolen in 2002. I called the NICB, and it has been recovered from the theft. I also called the NY Title Bureau and was told the car was brought in for inspection, probably after the theft recovery, and was missing the dash vin plate so they issued a new vin number for it. I'll let you know if I get ripped off :eek:

I'm not sure that's what's happening here. I'm not saying that you guys are wrong - I'm sure people do steal VIN numbers and somehow apply them to other cars - but all the Carfax says is that the vehicle was offered for sale. I'm guessing it's more likely that it was offered for sale by a scammer who never had an NSX at all, but placed a listing in Autotrader or eBay or Cars.com by copying all the information about it from somewhere else. That's a very common scam these days.

Alittleboost said:
Any recomendations on what I should do?
Contact Carfax to try to get the information corrected.

Back