• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

CD Connector Confusion revisited

After getting a 2000 NSX in need of a cd player I dutifully read all the threads and the FAQs about putting the Alpine chm-6xx player in the car. My car did not have the install kit in the trunk so the CD connector is on the driver side (no extension cable to the right side of the trunk. I picked up a standard 8 pin male DIN connector that fits the Alpine and I assumed (we all know what that means!) that the same connector with the pin 2 and 4 swapped would plug into the suppied harness on the driver side. But after making the cable I found out that the connectors are NOT the same. It is an 8 pin connector but the pins are not the same spacing as the one on the Alpine. I did not find any reference to this connector difference in any of the threads. Is this a change in the 2000 year? Everyone seemed to imply that the connector on the alpine would plug right in mechanically. However this is not true on my car.

Is one end of the ACU/ALP adapter cable different than the other as far as the physical layout of the pins?

If you are talking about the Honda/Acura DIN pin configuration being more like a U shape while the Alpine pins are more like in a circle, this is normal. All you need to do is spread the two end pins on the Alpine cable slightly into that U shape and it will go right in. If you are worried about bending the pins don't be. I;ve been to a few stereo shops and also worked with a few friends who work at shops and they do the same thing when installing Alpine CD changers into Honda/Acura OEM systems.

Exactly which Alpine changer do you have? it is possible you purchased an AiNet changer which will NOT have a standard DIN connecter and will require the AiNet to M-Bus adapator.

To ChrisK:

Thanks for the response, That's exactly what I'm talking about, I'm on it!.

Hugh:

It's an old 601 M-bus only.

Thanks again guys:)

I need a bigger hammer

Using the as advertised "just bend the pins" method, I now have tunes!.:D

8-pin connector from RS - $0.97
Velcro - $0.0
Alpine from a previous car - $0.0
----------------------------------------
Result Priceless

Back