• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Grom iphone integration not working with new iphone 15?

I've got an older Grom integration unit, that I bought around 2017 that has the 30 pin cable end. I've run a 30 pin to apple lightning in the past and it's always worked fine. I recently went to iphone 15 pro, with the usb c connector, and I haven't been able to make it work. It says "device not suported" on phone. I've tried several brands of lightning to usb c adapters (adapting from my 30 pin to lightning adapter), and even a 30 pin bluetooth adapter. That didn't work either, even when I used its auxillary headphone jack. I also tried a 30 pin to usb c adapter from amazon, but the 30 pin wouldn't insert into it. Has anyone had this issue? I emailed Grom tech support as well, so I'll post what they say if I get a response.

I see Grom now has a newer unit, that is plug in with a usb connector, and has the option of bluetooth. I've generally preferred to hardwire, but I'm hearing that the bluetooth modules are much better than early versions I tried.... Has anyone switched up to this newer version and liked it?

Thanks!

I was old school for a while, rocking the 90's with 6 CD's in the changer, but the anti-skip technology couldn't handle my lowered suspension. I got a GROM BT3 (bluetooth in) '21, with the accessory USB + AUX in cables, which I ran to the glovebox to charge my phone and run the audio through the AUX. Sound quality was excellent, and although you're still limited by the lack of tweeters, I rarely drive with roof on, and that's a bigger limitation to sound quality.

When I changed phones, I didn't have a headphone jack anymore, so I tried the bluetooth with the GROM & I can't tell the difference for sound quality. Very happy. And, more room in the trunk! Also includes a microphone for integrated calling. I mounted it at the top right corner by the key.

GROM hadn't (& I think still haven't) solved the problem with sending the FF/RW commands from the OEM stereo to the GROM unit. It will FF, but not go back. I solved this problem with a small Bluetooth FF/RR, Volume +/- adapter replacing the cigarette lighter.

GROM offers 2 units. You can get the USB3 which will play music off a usb stick for $175, & then add the Bluetooth for another $60, or you can get the BT3 that already has the bluetooth already for $180. Not sure how easy it would be to do playlists etc of the stick with the OEM stereo, so I just went with the bt3. I'd recommend it.

Last edited:
Had a grom bt3 that worked great. No issues with connecting. You can also use a 3.5mm cable for auxiliary if you prefer wires:
USB-C to 3.5 mm Headphone Jack Adapter

I've got an older Grom integration unit, that I bought around 2017 that has the 30 pin cable end. I've run a 30 pin to apple lightning in the past and it's always worked fine. I recently went to iphone 15 pro, with the usb c connector, and I haven't been able to make it work. It says "device not suported" on phone. I've tried several brands of lightning to usb c adapters (adapting from my 30 pin to lightning adapter), and even a 30 pin bluetooth adapter. That didn't work either, even when I used its auxillary headphone jack. I also tried a 30 pin to usb c adapter from amazon, but the 30 pin wouldn't insert into it. Has anyone had this issue? I emailed Grom tech support as well, so I'll post what they say if I get a response.

I see Grom now has a newer unit, that is plug in with a usb connector, and has the option of bluetooth. I've generally preferred to hardwire, but I'm hearing that the bluetooth modules are much better than early versions I tried.... Has anyone switched up to this newer version and liked it?

Thanks!
I use the newer version of the Grom BT module in my S2000, having just installed it a few weeks ago. It’s the same one that you would install in a NSX. It works fine with my iPhone 15 Pro Max, including charging.

It sounds like I may just need to get one of their newer units. I looked and they actually make 3 for the NSX; the BT3, USB3, and a simpler version for about $80. I like the chargining function when plugged in, so I'm probably ok without the bluetooth. I'll wait to hear back from Grom to see if there is a way to make the older Grom unit I have now work with iphone 15. I'll post what they say..

The $80 one is only a headphone jack for AUX in, no power for phone charging. The USB3 is made to read a memory stick (No idea how you pick songs or playlists with the OEM head unit) so check carefully as I'm not sure it will charge your phone at the same time as playing music off your phone. I have the BT3 with the $15 accessory AUX & USB charging cable, which will charge your phone and play the music over AUX or bluetooth. Don't skimp on the box - it's minimal compared to your time installing it securely & avoiding interference with the rest of the components.

Last edited:
Grom responded with this:

"The product may need to be replaced with the USB3 which is what is currently sold for USB integration and I have not seen any issues with USB streaming with Iphone.

The USB3 has a USB type A and you may need to purchase a type A to type C cable since the Iphones are shipped with a USB C to USB C cable."

The USB3 and BT3 seem pretty similar, seeming the difference that the BT3 could do hands free calling. Any other difference? I mainly want to play music through my iPhone and be able to charge it at the same time. I'm hoping the new units are smaller, and my original one I remember being very tight behind the console..

I just installed the USB3.... I did a quick test with it, and it worked great with my iPhone 15 pro. It was a little trickier to mount as the box is slightly larger, and the usb connectore that comes out of it is long and fragile for the tight confines it has to fit in. I was able to mount it sideways with double sided wall tape to the srs module connection underneathe the front part of the radio. I ran that wire inside the tunnel, and up through the bottom of the armrest storage box, through the hole I cut for the old one, with a grommet around it. With this setup, it charges the iPhone, and allows streaming through the factory head unit.

OK so are you using BT only to connect the iPhone? Or does this also work with the usb c connecter on the iPhone?

I don't use bluetooth. I prefer cable. You can add on to usb3 for a bluetooth connection, or they sell another that is bluetooth. USB 3 gives charging and streaming via cable.

Not directly related to the OP but for the installation, addition to the CD port at the back of the OEM audio head unit, there are few options available.

The CD changer cable is pre-installed at the factory all the way to the left forward section of the trunk/boot behind the carpet.

If you want, you can install the device inside the trunk although may not be the best option depending on how you use all the devices/equipments involved.

ABLVV87-srETbG5UHEEZk_QEIleoctYu5sZhpgN3_Axu0uRSzr_VoZ16byjzuiMTe7kpTIcPcGDDJtpfWydpgOVu-nDSkOmaIJ7CMADftJahvHOyexQ53PLr7Q2f3rvE38Fwm2gwzWQ9lmveh3ZF6HVkI2vl2w=w1080-h810-s-no

There is a breakout connector behind the left side seat.
(Originally positioned at the green arrow, relocated to the small yellow circle.)

The GROM I/F cable (HON92, large yellow circle) is fairly short so keep that in mind.

Find the suitable space behind the seat.

One example here; http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/blog.php?181...er-with-F1-Indy-CART-background&tag=grom+usb3

Kaz

A previous thread with additional details.

Excellent point to bring up the connector in the CD changer cable behind the left seat @MotorMouth93 , especially if someone is trying to connect a GROM (or an old-school CD changer) in the trunk. The pictures in that thread are excellent! In my '01, a previous owner had installed a USA-spec ipod/headphone adapter at that point behind the seat but rerouted the DIN cable back down under the e-brake and run a headphone jack into the console glove box.

I plugged in my Grom-BT3 directly to the head unit (there's a nice spot where it fits with just a bit of closed-cell foam to brace it) which worked perfectly, as noted in the thread referenced by @centerpunch above. However, I didn't realize that the headphone jack in the console glove box meant that the USA-spec was plugged in, breaking the DIN8 connection to the trunk. So when I later made DIN connectors for the security system wiring to connect to the trunk release wire in the trunk via the 8-pin DIN, there was no connection on that 8-pin DIN wire. Fortunately, I remembered @MotorMouth93 's pics in that thread, found the disconnect, and reconnected it. Trunk pops!

Although the location behind the seat works well, it's not much more work to remove the console trim and go directly to the head unit, and it will probably make it easier to wire the microphone somewhere where it can work. I put it above the key, although I doubt there is any location that works well with the roof off.

Addendum: GROM still hasn't corrected the firmware to make the RR or repeat buttons on the head unit work, & FF is intermittent. I got an external controller that works perfectly & 3D printed a mount that fits in the lighter socket but is invisible when the door is closed. I can post it in the 3D print sub-forum if anyone else wants it:
Picture1.jpg

Last edited:
I have installed the Grom-BT at least six times. First mod I do before ANYTHING. I always install it behind the drivers seats and run the cable at the bottom through the side sills and up the A-Pillar for the microphone. I actually recorded the process for the buyer of my Monaco last year. Very rough video, I will try and find it.

Back