• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Center Console Color

I'm getting a new double din center console for the new Pioneer 8100NEX. I'm torn on what color to go with. My first thought is to go with my exterior color, red. I'm not sure if that would put too much red in the interior and look bad. I have the original paint codes for the stock color, so that is also an option, or maybe a gloss black.

I wanted to see if anyone has done this and gone with anything other than the stock color and also has pictures of it they could share. I'm also open to thoughts, opinions or any other experience everyone has.

Thanks in advance.

I'm an OEM kind of guy but others have done this. I have no problem with it, especially when the original finish on the trim gets scratched up or starts to wrinkle. I think there are some pics on prime but I'm not sure how you would find them.

I'm an OEM kind of guy but others have done this. I have no problem with it, especially when the original finish on the trim gets scratched up or starts to wrinkle. I think there are some pics on prime but I'm not sure how you would find them.

Yeah, I've seen a few pictures with painted consoles but not good enough quality pictures to really get an idea of how they look up close. I did find this one picture for one that is up for sale. That's basically the color I would be going with to match the exterior. http://imgur.com/nOeAmE9

I'm also changing out shift boot with black/red stitching as well as the e-brake boot. Looking at doing two tone red/black for the armrest cover as well. With the other red accents I have inside I think the red would look pretty decent. Also where the big flat red blank spot I will have a panel with USB to stereo, USB charging as well as a 12V lighter socket in black. This guy from Amazon: http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T7TTK6K/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ALHXFZX1L0DAX

Last edited:
when you decide on the color do it the right way.... don't half ass it like sooooo many do....

have all three painted at the same time... both door covers and the center.... most get the center painted and it WILL NEVER MATCH the doors make the car look like crap.

take the time and remove the door covers and do it right your will thank me.

yes you need to PEEL off the aluminum skin off the door covers for the paint to stick and not bubble up over time. its hard an time consuming but worth it

good luck.

I personally like the 04-05 aluminum color I think looks the best with any exterior/ interior color

when you decide on the color do it the right way.... don't half ass it like sooooo many do....

have all three painted at the same time... both door covers and the center.... most get the center painted and it WILL NEVER MATCH the doors make the car look like crap.

take the time and remove the door covers and do it right your will thank me.

yes you need to PEEL off the aluminum skin off the door covers for the paint to stick and not bubble up over time. its hard an time consuming but worth it

good luck.

I personally like the 04-05 aluminum color I think looks the best with any exterior/ interior color

Shawn,

Thanks for the reply. I definitely will be doing it professionally. I just recently had my trunk top repainted due to clear coat wear. The shop did a great job and it matches perfectly. The center console I will have painted is a new aftermarket from S2carbonworks so I don't have to worry about taking the aluminum off the main portion, just the upper piece around the clock and vents. That I plan to strip the metal coating off and have it painted at the same time.

Can you be more specific on what you mean on the door covers? Are you talking about the stock console ash tray door? Let me know.

That's exactly what he's talking about. Like Chewybaca, my center console needed refinishing but there iwas NO WAY I was going to peel off the perfectly good finish on my door switches just to have them match the console. I currently have a matte black crinkle finish on my center console and it looks great.

That's exactly what he's talking about. Like Chewybaca, my center console needed refinishing but there iwas NO WAY I was going to peel off the perfectly good finish on my door switches just to have them match the console. I currently have a matte black crinkle finish on my center console and it looks great.

brettowen, I'd love to see some pictures if you have a few minutes to spare. Let me know and I can send you my email or if you want to post links, I'd appreciate it.

Customer paint to match SOS shift knob, it came out really nice.

P1040464_zpsa9b1bbae.jpg

This is what it looks like to redo all pieces. Very pleased with the results.

Shrink, that looks really good. My center console and door panels do not match, though both are OEM. Looks like one of them was replaced at some point, likely the center console. My door panels are black and the center console is the off color silver. Wish I would have known they should match back when I had the doors torn apart already. Oh well, I guess I'll just pull the doors again and do it right. Thanks for the pics.

- - - Updated - - -

Customer paint to match SOS shift knob, it came out really nice.

Lamb, that's about the color of my center console currently, though it's the metal coated OEM. I'll be replacing it entirely. Quick question on your NAV unit, does your unit have an external antenna, and if so, what is your placement? My new unit has a small flat antenna and I was thinking of just putting it centered on the dash under the windshield rather than running it externally.

who did your center console and door cards Shrink? hmmmm someone we know LOL

I have an NEX8000 and you can put the flat antenna up under the dash on the round brace. It dosen't have to be external, it will work fine. As stated it's not easy to match the console color to the door panels but you can get pretty close. There was no way I was gonna redo both door panels..Anyhow good luck, this job isn't for the faint of heart...In my opinion only the OEM console looks right, and altering it ain't easy. Here's mine with my old AVIC Z-140. (the nex is the same size) I never repainted the ash tray door or the top trim..

Attachments

• 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 259
Last edited:
I have an NEX8000 and you can put the flat antenna up under the dash on the round brace. It dosen't have to be external, it will work fine. As stated it's not easy to match the console color to the door panels but you can get pretty close. There was no way I was gonna redo both door panels..Anyhow good luck, this job isn't for the faint of heart...In my opinion only the OEM console looks right, and altering it ain't easy. Here's mine with my old AVIC Z-140. (the nex is the same size) I never repainted the ash tray door or the top trim..

Shine, looks sweet. My existing OEM console is peeling in several places and also cracked in one place. I'm hoping the aftermarket looks like it was made to be there when all said and done. I've already torn the interior apart once. All my amps were dead, OEM stereo dead, CCU dead so it should go much easier this time now that I've been there once. I've had all the parts for weeks now other than the console itself. It should be here tomorrow though, then I can get started with the tear down. I'm stoked to get this project done and have a working stereo. For the past 9-10 months all I've had is an AUX input I wired direct into the stock system.

See my garmin build thread.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...armin-GPS-with-Wireless-Backup-Camera-Project

Shrink, that looks really good. My center console and door panels do not match, though both are OEM. Looks like one of them was replaced at some point, likely the center console. My door panels are black and the center console is the off color silver. Wish I would have known they should match back when I had the doors torn apart already. Oh well, I guess I'll just pull the doors again and do it right. Thanks for the pics.

- - - Updated - - -

Lamb, that's about the color of my center console currently, though it's the metal coated OEM. I'll be replacing it entirely. Quick question on your NAV unit, does your unit have an external antenna, and if so, what is your placement? My new unit has a small flat antenna and I was thinking of just putting it centered on the dash under the windshield rather than running it externally.

You don't have to peel the finish off of the door switches & the part surrounding the clock & vents. Just lightly sand it, srpay primer on it and paint. I did my center console myself & had to peel it so I could get down to the plastic to because I made it a double din. But if I didn't have to do any modifications I could have just sanded, primed and painted it.

I did it in 2011 & i have no bubbling or peeling.

Last edited:
Back