• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

CF coolant tank cover

Guys I wanted to guage interest in a Carbon Fiber coolant tank cover like the JDM type R black cover only in Carbon Fiber instead.

As you know one of the most visible and ugliest parts of the NSX motors are the coolant tanks. I have been considering the feasibility of producing an entirely new coolant tank made of CF but there may be some possible heat and pressure type issues and it is a fairly complex and expensive thing to make.

However, a mold can be made of the R cover in CF, its a drop-in that fits right over your factory tank, and cost would be in the $200 range.

Like this one (it covers top half of the tank) but in a nice Carbon Fiber.

Please just reply if you have an interest, I may form a Group Buy and have this manufactured.

coolant_cover2.jpg

Wow I really thought this would have more interest. Do you guys prefer a whole CF tank? The cover offers lower cost and easier install. But I am open to suggestions.

Sounds pretty sweet I'm in!

It would be great to get a picture of the actual product... and when you say $200 - do you mean 200, 175, 225 or "between $200 & $300"

Getting more specifics will help.

It would be great to get a picture of the actual product... and when you say $200 - do you mean 200, 175, 225 or "between $200 & $300"

Same q's from me plus on more ... I have the Procar airbox, so would want the same CF weave for the cover please.(can provide photo if req'd)

Very interested, good idea

regards, Paul

I don't know the exact cost. I had the idea in my head... I asked myself why no one has made a CF coolant tank so far. And then I thought... a replica of the R cover is even easier to do and you don't have to get rid of your factory tank, which honestly, is a pretty darn good tank to start with. Why throw something good out. Its very visible, especially on cars without the factory engine cover... perhaps the most visible part in the engine bay.

I brought up the idea to tamoske, and he said "around $200". So I thought I would gauge interest. Its a quick install and low cost, and probably will look very good. I don't have any better pics of the factory R cover than the one I posted. If someone else has one, then please post. It covers the top half of the tank. I can't show a finished picture obviously, as there are none made. But it will be "molded" to the shape of your factory cover.

I am sure a number of vendors are looking at this thread right now thinking "why didn't we think of this?". I don't know... why didn't you? :)

i agree :smile:

interested but how much?

I think its a great idea but you might consider taking the ''somewhat ugly" OEM bulges out of the tank cover and make it cleaner without all the bumps. More like the SOS tank look but still a tight fit just don't follow all the contours.

I think its a great idea but you might consider taking the ''somewhat ugly" OEM bulges out of the tank cover and make it cleaner without all the bumps. More like the SOS tank look but still a tight fit just don't follow all the contours.

well the easiest way to create a CF piece is to make a mold of an original part. If we get rid of the "bumps", you are talking about creating something entirely new. Since we know the R cover is factory, the size and fit should be 100%. Once a mold is made of that, the CF version should also be a perfect fit. I honestly don't think the bumps are bad... it is usually harder to make CF follow curves than a straight line. But it allows the CF to be seen at different light angles, and you can then see the weave more. I don't know how others feel about the bumps.

Since we know the R cover is factory, the size and fit should be 100%.......... it allows the CF to be seen at different light angles, and you can then see the weave more. I don't know how others feel about the bumps.

I've got plenty of my own bumps :rolleyes: but happy to go with the OEM copy. Looking to improve the engine bay as I'm installing R cover soon.

Q: will your CF cover include the clear strip to view water level?

regards, Paul

(Procar airbox shown - would like to match weave please)

Last edited:
Yes Paul, the R cover has a cut for sighting the coolant level. You can see it in the pic I have posted on the side. Is you weave small or large?

Yes Paul, the R cover has a cut for sighting the coolant level. You can see it in the pic I have posted on the side. Is you weave small or large?

Large weave please with the cut, Thanx T2Go.

OK I will get a crackin' on this and see where it goes. If anyone else is interested, please reply.

I'm in, sounds like a great idea. Keeping it under $200 is a better idea :biggrin:

Price from Tamoske INCLUDING shipping to your door is $170. We need 10 buyers. Hopefully we can reach 10. This is a fantastic price. Please understand that these are not ready made. We have to pay, and then production begins. Estimate for production is 2 weeks. It will be a REAL Carbon Fiber piece, not any sort of CF wrapped FRP. Add your name if you want one. There will be only one run of these.

1. Turbo2go

Last edited:
1. Turbo2go
2. Matt_337
3. Senninha - large weave please with viewing slot - UK shipping reqd

I am in!

Turbo2GO WE TALKED ABOUT THOSE COVERS BUT WE DID NOT UNDERSTOOD EACH OTHER. AS I SAID IN A 2 PM'S WE NEED YOU COVERS TO WRAP IN REAL CF THEN PRICE WILL BE 170$ IF YOU WANT ALL COVER IN REAL CF THEN WILL BE AROUND 300$ OR SOME $ MORE BECAUSE IT'S A LOT OF WORK:frown: :confused:

THANK YOU

Back