• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Changing Rotors

Is there a DIY on changing the front rotors? I need to do mine this weekend.

Any tips? Special Tools? Thanks all.

Re: Forums Nazi

AndyVecsey said:
Are you wanting the FN to slap you? :tongue:
slap.gif

Ojas said:
I think he should be banned. Or at least suspended. :tongue: Don’t the Gurus have the power to vote him off the island?

Geez guys! :biggrin:

Anyway, what is an emory cloth??

Troll Patrol said:
Holy crapolah, Dave! 500 posts and you haven't come across Dano's DIY. Consider yourself under a spell. :tongue:
500 posts???? :biggrin: What happened with the other 4600+ posts :rolleyes:

Last edited:
NetViper said:
Also, Do I need an impact screwdriver?? I don't even know what that is.
Yes, you probably need it, to loosen the set screws that hold the rotor on. You can get one for under $25. It's basically a screwdriver that you hit with a hammer/mallet, that uses the downward, sudden force to turn the screw slightly (while maintaining downward pressure against it). $24.99 at Sears.

00947641000-190.jpg

I don't know if this method has been posted or not...if it did...I'm sorry

I saw my mechanic used something like a big nail and a hammer to loosen the screw on my rotors. He placed the end of the nail (in about 45 degree) close to the edge of the screw and impact the nail with a hammer. The screw got loosen in 5 second. I can post a sketch later if the way I explain is confusing :smile:

I did not have any good experienced with the impact driver, ended up stripping the screws and have to drilled out them out. Apparently the impact driver I have is not a good quality one and the bits are way too soft!!

BTW, Sears sells another inexpensive yet useful tools, I do not know what to call it, it basically is a bit that had a 3/8 attachment (maybe a 1/4?), I found it much easier to work with when attached to the rachet or breaker bar than the impact driver.

NetViper said:
Any tips? Special Tools? Thanks all.

Don't even attempt this without an impact screwdriver... you'll be tempted to try first before you get one; just skip that whole step :rolleyes:

the nsxnut said:
Don't even attempt this without an impact screwdriver... you'll be tempted to try first before you get one; just skip that whole step :rolleyes:

Actually, a local shop will put them on for 14 bucks each, which is less than the cost of the impact screwdriver, so I think I will just let them do it and not worry about it :)

Back