• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Check engine and TCS light on and 4K rpm limit on new CTSC

Crap! Just got a CTSC installed on my 2000T and drove it about 16 miles with a huge grin on my face. This morning(going to the canyonball), first the engine light came on and idle was low. Then the TCS light came on and THEN the car won't rev over 4 grand! Feels like the rev limiter was lowered. Car drives but is now parked. HELP! Any fix that I can do? The canyonballers will be close to me so I can catch up with them, if this is an easy fix. ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! If need be, I can be reached at 805-987-7777.
Thanks in advance,
John Richards

[This message has been edited by ANYTIME (edited 14 September 2002).]

Originally posted by ANYTIME:
Crap! Just got a CTSC installed on my 2000T and drove it about 16 miles with a huge grin on my face. This morning(going to the canyonball), first the engine light came on and idle was low. Then the TCS light came on and THEN the car won't rev over 4 grand! Feels like the rev limiter was lowered. Car drives but is now parked. HELP! Any fix that I can do? The canyonballers will be close to me so I can catch up with them, if this is an easy fix. ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! If need be, I can be reached at 805-987-7777.
Thanks in advance,
John Richards

[This message has been edited by ANYTIME (edited 14 September 2002).]

Hi John,

Your ECU is in safe mode and limits your engine to 4k.

Did you change your chip? If you did, perhaps something went wrong there when sticking in the chip?!

Gerard

No chip change. Comptech installed the SC and ran excellent when I picked it up. I trailered it to and from the shop, so I only drove it down the street to check it out and when I got home I only drove it a few miles. Work has taken most of my time up. I was ready for the drive this morning and purposely waited to enjoy the drive. Now this.

See the FAQ to diagnose what the check engine light has been tripped by. Unless the indication is something severe, like knock, pull the clock fuse to reset the ECU, and see how the car runs. sure it is something Comptech can resolve easily on Monday.

Cheers,
-- Chris

------------------
Revolutionize your NSX with ScienceofSpeed
www.ScienceofSpeed.com | [email protected] | 877-863-4520

Disconnected the battery for 5 mins. and drove for about 45 mins. No more problems! Are the codes stored so I can go to the dealer on Monday? Or are they cleared with the disconnect? It's as if it fixed itself. Wish I would have done this earlier.
John

John, sorry we missed you. Marc, Randy and I called you while we were at Hamburger Hamlet next to Magic Mountain.

I'll post a pic... that "problem" was a sign...

biggrin.gif

(you'll see.)

Disconnecting the battery or pulling the fuse clears the codes. If you want the codes you need to get them before removing power.

Originally posted by Lud:
Disconnecting the battery or pulling the fuse clears the codes. If you want the codes you need to get them before removing power.

I tried the paper clip in the blue connector thing and nothing happened. Maybe it doesn't work on OBDII cars. Talked with Pineapple at FactorX and was told that the clock fuse clears soft codes and the batt disconnect clears hard codes. The clock fuse did nothing by pulling it, the batt disconnect was the trick. So in my case, pulling the clock fuse and disconnecting the battery acheaved different results than previously thought.

Originally posted by ANYTIME:
I tried the paper clip in the blue connector thing and nothing happened. Maybe it doesn't work on OBDII cars. Talked with Pineapple at FactorX and was told that the clock fuse clears soft codes and the batt disconnect clears hard codes. The clock fuse did nothing by pulling it, the batt disconnect was the trick. So in my case, pulling the clock fuse and disconnecting the battery acheaved different results than previously thought.

Which one is Pineapple?

------------------
91 Red/Ivory #2061

Great! Started driving this afternoon and a few minutes down the road and the same thing happened! Car was warmed up and drove normally. Very rich and it will rev over 4 grand. Dealer fix only?

Wow. That is hard to believe you are having so many problems this early. Are you satisfied with the unit while it is working? However long that may be?

------------------
ALL NSX
92 RED/BLACK 5-SPEED

the paperclip in the connecter trick works on my obd-2,96 you may need to fiddle with it more next time.

I believe you can get those symptoms with the older kit if the vacuum check valve and flow restrictor (bottom of the manifold) are connected improperly. Problem is higher voltage at the MAP sensor than acceptable. There should be other threads discussing the correct voltage at the MAP sensor, but I think it is something like 2.75 volts maximum.

With the new kits that interface is electronic, but even though it is new, it could be defective and not clamping the voltage to the MAP sensor, which causes the ECU to default in to the mode you are describing.

You might want to monitor the voltage going to the MAP sensor.

Good Luck.

When the ECU sees boost (whether it be from a bad check valve to the #4 vac line or a bad SmartMap unit), the ECU will kill the motor right then and there and throw a check engine light of course. You can start it right up immediately and drive it normally right away as long as you dont hit boost again, and you won't get a 4,000 rpm rev limit. Ask me how I know!
smile.gif

So, the question is John, do you have a REV limit (i.e. 4,000 RPM every time) or does you motor die when you hit boost. Do you have a boost gage??

------------------
All My NSX'es Live in Texas

The codes are(finally able to pull them) similar to this thread results http://www.nsxprime.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/002490.html
They are 7long,1short-7long,2short all the way to 7long,6short. The TCS light was also on and was 1long-2short. This time the engine ran fine and idled ok. Before it was runnig really rich and would not idle. This car is a 2000 with 3300 miles on it. WTH! Runs very well and I am very happy with the performance of the SC(Uh, wish I didn't have these symptoms though). BTW, Shad also installed the voltage clamp.
Originally asked by 9lb(marc)
So, the question is John, do you have a REV limit (i.e. 4,000 RPM every time) or does you motor die when you hit boost. Do you have a boost gage??
No boost gauge yet. I guess that when the car started to go into boost(at 4k) the car would FEEL like it was hitting the rev limiter and start bah,bah,bahing(use your imagination). Marc, I thing your on to something here. The voltage clamp could be the culprit. If it was not working, the car might be freaking out when boost is SEEN. I certainly hope that this is the problem.
Thanks,
John

[This message has been edited by ANYTIME (edited 17 September 2002).]

For the end-all-be-all reference guide to figuring out what those little flashes mean, go here:
http://www.nsxhelp.com/diy2/trouble_codes.htm

Here's you 5-minute diagnosis test to see if our little theory is correct if you don't have a boost gage:

Go down to NAPA tomorrow morning and get a one-way vacuum check valve. Insert it on that #4 vac line before it hits the MAP sensor. You'll be running temporarily with both a check valve and the SmartMAP (no biggie). If your problem goes away, then you'll know that the SmartMAP is either NG or not hooked up properly.

PS- And if this indeed turns out to have been the problem........shame on you for waiting so long after getting your supercharger installed to get it into some boost! I'd be on that baby the minue Shad finished it up!!!
wink.gif

------------------
All My NSX'es Live in Texas

John,

If you're going to try the check valves, you'll want to get 2 (plus some vacuum line T's) to get it right.

Put a 1-way valve that blocks boost to the MAP sensor.. And then on the vacuum line in-between that check valve and the MAP sensor, put a "T". On to the T add a small piece of hose and then the other check valve, except this one should be reversed (it should let boost out the free-end of the check valve, and if there's vacuum, will be closed and will not draw any air out the free-end of the check valve).

You can run it set up like that permanently if you want (or until you get the voltage clamp working, if that's the culprit).

Also.. If you are going to be anywhere near Santa Monica, let me know.. I can hook your car up to my laptop & my OBD software will tell you in English what the error code is (it can also clear the error codes, show you what the Map sensor is reading as well as a variety of other sensors).

Best,
Marc

I have a similar problem although not as extreme.

I just installed a comptech unit and when I cruise on the highway at 65 mph I eventually get a check engine light. When I restart the car, the light resets.

I think the car is running too rich as my fuel consumption, even with a highway cruise, is high.

------------------
1991 NSX Red/Black
Comptech Supercharger
Bridgestone Proline Wheels
SOS HIDs
RM Exhaust
Passport SRX
Red Roof

Originally posted by Periokid:
I have a similar problem although not as extreme.

I just installed a comptech unit and when I cruise on the highway at 65 mph I eventually get a check engine light. When I restart the car, the light resets.

I think the car is running too rich as my fuel consumption, even with a highway cruise, is high.

My car is doing the same thing only I have no major mods...just RM exhaust and intake. Check engine and TCS lights and revs limited to 4000. Anybody without a SC or major mods experiencing this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Problem solved!!!! Went to my local Acura Dealer (Gold Coast Acura in Ventura,Ca.) and had the master tech Norman pull up the codes and found it was misfire on 1-4 cylinders. Here's the best part-Shad with comptech was on the phone with me(Now this is customer service) while testing the car. He had me check the ESM box and the connections. While doing this, the car stumbled a little. A connector or wire was loose on the ESM taps. Erased the codes and VIOLA!, runs like a charm. Gold Coast Acura is a dealership that will let you talk with the tech(ON the phone even) and has an open shop policy. I was at my car while it was being worked on. Shad at comptech went out of his way to help narrow down the problems and spent the last couple of days back and forth with me trying to figure this out by only talking on the phone with me(I am 450 miles from comptech). FactorXMotorsports was also willing to drive to Camarillo(about 3 hours from them) and help me also. Pinnapple(Mike) determined it was in the ESM location also. These are the stories that make you glad to be part of a close knit and caring group of people. It is wonderful to be a part of the NSX community.
John Richards

Back