• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Check your A/C Cond. Fans fuses Now!!! DIY.

Don't be a fool like me and neglect knowing that you are running on one or none condensor fans when you turn on your A/C. Its so simple to make sure these fans are running and that your A/C system will perform.
I started noticeing my A/C compressor making more noise than usual.
Then I noticed that the compressor was barely running when required.
My first thoughts was that I was running low on R12 from a leak somewhere.
I checked the site glass at the front of the hood area and had bubbles appear as the system turned off and on. Good reason to think R12 was low.
Stopped using the system and talk to my great neighbor Richard who is a Refir Tech. I you don't have a great neighbor, go out and get one.
We set up all his gear and bleed in a few ounces of R12. Nothing changed.
Richard took his time and looked and listened.
He noticed that the Triple Pressure Switch was clicking on and off in unison with the compressor kicking in and out. So why is the pressure switch kicking off the compressor?
So he says to me, where is your condensor, so I showed him the two in the front. He felt in the wheel well and said, well aren't there fans and why aren't they running. I scrambled to open the manual and we found we should check the two 10 amp fuses shown below in the picture. Both where blown. Who knows how long I was driving with just one fan working. Without these fans working, the heat from the freon was not rejected, pressure built up, the compressor has to work harder (hence the noiser compressor) and on and on til I would have gotten a big bill!!! There is another fuse to check and if those are good and one of your fans isn't working, then there are the relays to look over. You can hear those condensor fans when they are on quite easily, just turn on the A/C and get down by each Condensor and listen. Also you can feel the air flowing out into the wheel well, just in front of the front tyres.
Just a note on those fans, they should come on when the compressor kicks in and turn off when the compressor kicks off. Sections of interest in the manual would be 22-3,22-52/3/4,22-73 or the whole section.
tRev

Attachments

• AcRichardsm.jpg
    AcRichardsm.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 2,314
  • AcCondFanFuses.jpg
    AcCondFanFuses.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 2,790
  • AcPressureSwitch.jpg
    AcPressureSwitch.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 3,333
A few weeks ago I noticed more noice from my AC than normal and I had ice cold air while driving but warm while stopped or idling. I checked my fuses and they were both blown just like yours. I changed the fuses and so far everything is fine but I am still not sure why they blew. I read somewhere on here that if anything touches the fans it will blow the fuse. The only thing I could think of would be the pressure washer or just an electrical problem :confused: .

Thanks to this thread I checked my fuses. And YES one of mine was blown too. The question is now, how come these fuses blow?

crap, i checked my fuses and they arent blown but i only get cold air when im driving..what do i do now??

erick

Just checked mine and they were good and after I pulled them I ran the engine and cranked the ac all the way down.
Then I plugged them back in again and I could here each fan come on in the wheel wells.

Thanks for the heads up.

Regards,

Patrick

Trev, as I don't have A/C any more in my NSX I just made that checking procedure at my daily driver just in case. 2 A/C fuses plus one diode in 2 different fuse boxes - everything seems to be okay although I'm not quite satisfied with the cooling - maybe it's time for a fluid and system check during the great inspection in september. Thanks for your hints anyway! :smile:

NSX-Racer
Maybe we can fly Richard over there to do your service!!! hehe
Trev
ERICKGS3 - I'm not sure what your saying in your statement. Cold air is what we want when the a/c is on. Are you saying its not cold enough? Let us know about your condensor fans running or not and then we will take it from there.
Wow, I'm glad this turned out to be a good post!
tRev

ffffanman said:
ERICKGS3 - I'm not sure what your saying in your statement. Cold air is what we want when the a/c is on. Are you saying its not cold enough? Let us know about your condensor fans running or not and then we will take it from there.
Wow, I'm glad this turned out to be a good post!
tRev

sorry, i only get cold air when im driving. when im at a stop i just get air but its not cold. i checked the fuses again today and they still are NOT blown. the fan on the right comes on and i can hear it. the one on left does not come on. i cannot hear it nor can i feel the air thru the wheel well. so what do i do now?? this thread has been very useful. thanks erick

Sounds like the left fan may be failed check to make sure the shroud is not blocked with road debris but if it was you would most likely blow the fuse ..so you will need to apply power to the fan directly to confirm that it is failed or that you have a wiring/switching problem..good luck ...JZ

From the o&m page 898 section 22-10
Each condenser fan has its own fuse.
#37 - 10 amp for the right fan with a white wire run to the fan motor.
#36 - 10 amp for the left fan with a white/blue wire run to the fan motor.
A white/green wire runs out of each fan motor and runs to a common condenser fan relay which is located in a narrow relay box(Sub Relay Box A) just to the right of the main fuse box when looking from the front of your car under the hood. The relay is the middle one in the front.
So from this and what you say we can conclude that the fuses are good and the relay must be good since one of your fans is working and both fans run off the same relay.
So, check for fan blade blockages, check your wires and then finally undo the existing wiring to the motor and apply a known good voltage to it or check the voltage coming into it. Perhaps the motor is fried. But don't fry it yourself!
Better yet see below!

From the o&m page 940 section 22-52 trouble shooting condenser fan
Go here to read this section and it will step you through the trouble shooting process and show you where everything is.
Page 891 section22-3 is a nice view of everything we discuss.
tRev

You might have LOOSE fuses! I kept having intermitent problems with my A/C blowing cold, then stopping, then starting. I pulled the fuses and noticed they were fine - but one fuse looked "smaller" then the other factory one. I took that one and shoved it into the hazard light slot and moved that factory style 10amp over to the A/C fan slot. I have driven the car at least 20 times now and the A/C has worked perfectly ever since I swapped that fuse around.

*fingers-crossed* :biggrin:

Similar problem, mine won't blow any air. But when I take it off recirculated, I can feel the cold air trying to come thru the vents..It also just comes back on and blows sometimes. It's becoming a real pain in the ass,the other night it never would start to blow. About a year ago I had Goodson Acura replace the computer board,because it blew one speed.fast....Help!!!! thks Brent :frown:

Wow! Thanks ffffanman for the tip!

Being in Socal, I mostly drive with my window down and the AC is only on during occasional fwy driving. Never noticed anything wrong with it.

Last weekend, I was resetting the clock fuse and figured since I was there already, I remember you mentioned about the blown AC fan fuses.

Well what do you know? One of the 2 fan fuses was blown and I didn't even know it.

This forum is absolutely invaluable and full of useful tips ... and entertaining posts as well. :cool:

No problem, you got to love this forum!
I find posts with pics really help a guy see things clearly!
Thats probably why I'm always looking at those posts with owners wifes!
Dr T.

Thanks for pointing this out. I too noticed my car wasn't blowing as cold when i wasn't moving so i check and sure enough 1 fan fuse was blown. Hopefully a cooler commute now.

My right condensor fan failed last time after I hit a deep puddle during very heavy rain. Fender liner got folded on the wheel! Brought it to one of the very good workshop ALC here and they only change the carbon brush and the fan works again. BTW you have to remove the front bumper to get to the fans. :frown:

good tip. One of my fuses was toast.

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: THANKS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH I LOVE THIS FORUM AND I LOVE YOU GUYS NSX PRIME I DA BOOMB THANKS FOR THE ADVICE JUST SAVED MY SELF A GOOD $400 TO $600 I WAS TALKING TO SOME MECHANICS AND THEY ALL SUGESTED THE A/C COMPRESSOR BUT SURE ENOUGH IT WAS THE FUSE WELL MAY I TRIED IT AT NITE AND WE ALL KNOW A/C BLOW COLDER AT NITE SO FINGERS CROSSED. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Wow, after reading this thread I realized one of my 10 amp fuse has blown. I'm glad you have posted because i would have not known.

I dont' know why but so many people are encounter the same problem? Yes, i realize sometime my a/c is not that cold during the warm days.

Wow, I probably can buy a new exhaust system for my car when all the cheques come in from all the money saved in this post!!!
PUURRR, PUURRR, PUURRR!
T Rev

Jin1976 said:
BTW you have to remove the front bumper to get to the fans. :frown:
Actually, that's not true. I've done it myself by jacking up the front corner, removing the tire and liner, and then dropping the fan out the bottom. But I have to give credit to Ojas who figured it out first and helped me through it.

Back