• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Chicago Area 2nd Annual Winter Chicken Basket Roundup

Talk about a crummy winter. Time for some group therapy, NSX style.

Lets get the Chicago crew together and talk cars! How many NSX engines and transmissions has Bob Kenney added to his collection? Has Sean gotten center caps for his Volks yet? Will Frank stop talking about it and get a damn muffler for his car already? These are the questions that need answering people! Economy be damned!

NOTE: Keep checking this thread. Details may change. Bob, Sean and I are figuring out the plans now. Add your input/suggestions as necessary.

When:
Saturday, February 9th.

Time:
2:00 pm

Where:
Where: Dell Rhea's Chicken Basket in Willowbrook, IL.

Directions:

Dell Rhey's is located along the frontage road north of RT 55.

Exit RT 55 to 83 north [Kingery] to the 1st light, turn right onto the frontage road [almost a 180], you will pass in front of a Denny's and a Holiday Inn. Follow the road as it curves back to the east until you come to a Stop Sign [Irish Pub will be on your right]. Make a left turn and Dell Rhea's will be on your right approximately 1/2 a block from the turn.

Link:
http://www.chickenbasket.com/

This was a huge event last year. Hopefully weather plays along. We need some turbos! Woody, Cody are you ready?

Link from last year...
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79823

Chicago Auto Show will also be going on. Depending on how long the event goes, maybe a field trip afterward for those interested?

Please post up if you are going, not going or undecided...

These and other questions will be answered on the next episode of SOAP! Ahem, I mean at the next meeting! Yes, we'll be there: Rick and Kathy

Sorry guys, I will be on a campout with the Indian Princesses and my 6 yr old daughter that weekend......

When's the next meet?:wink: :biggrin: ......

Dave

Joe - Sorry you're out of town... but not really because you'll be in a sunny and warm place WITH YOUR NSX and we'll probably be freezing our asses off!:eek: PIMP IT!!!!

Dave - We'll miss you too man. We need full updates on what the "big mod" will be this year. Rims? Or Turbo?:biggrin:

Hopefully we can catch up at the NSXCA Dinner in March.

The car definately won't be ready, considering that I'm "up to something":

Those are the first publicly released photos, try to keep them in this thread for now please!

I'll see what Jen is up to, maybe we will bring the diesel down and have some "smoked" chicken...lol. Maybe I should keep welding, comedy isn't my thing.

Last edited:
Stacey and I will be there, with a fresh NEW Acura!! :biggrin: :biggrin:

Can't wait to see everyone. It's been a pretty hectic winter and I need a freakin' break!

Hmmmm...someone needs some new tires me thinks! ^^^

I actually got 15,000 miles out of those tires!

Anybody have any recommendations for a track tire that's still streeteable? I'm thinking RA-1's or some of the new Advans. I haven't researched tires in a few years. Wet traction is not an issue, and it'd be nice to get through a whole season on one set of tires(I have dedicated drag slicks for "that" track).

I actually got 15,000 miles out of those tires!

Anybody have any recommendations for a track tire that's still streeteable?

You might want to try the Falken RT-615. I've got them on my NSX and they are a good track/street compromise. My experience with them is contrary to what others have said though. In my experience, they need to get warm to get sticky. Sounds like a no-brainer, but it's supposed to be a good cold tire, which I've found to not be true. Once warmed up they're great. I've settled on cold pressure at 30 PSI at Gingerman, and that seems to work best.

Big caveat, the treadlife sucks. 5000 miles on the rear and they're toast. On the plus side, they're cheap.

Sean

Thanks for the tip on the Falkens!

I ran on Kuhmo Victoracer V700s a few years ago with my S2000 and they became extremely greasy after around three laps at Gingerman. Tried adjusting pressures, etc, but they just didn't like a bunch of heat. I turned my driving down to 8/10s and the tires came back. I would prefer something that withstands heat a little better.

I'll look into those. Since my car no longer has a functional trunk, I'll be putting around half the miles on it. So 5,000 miles per year is very reasonable for me. Hopefully most of those miles will be at the track :biggrin:

Nice Cody, that dump tube/exhaust looks awesome.

It seems we think alike(and some other private owner/builders I've chatted with), my personal car is getting similar treatment, but I'm not sure it's as high as yours(I can't tell how high yours is sitting though).

Regardless, it looks good, this year is going to be interesting for the NSX community.

Wait, wait, wait...

You guys are talking about two different kinds of "track tires".

One kind is R compound track tires (such as the RA-1 and Victoracer). These are true track tires. Don't last very long, don't do well in rain, need to get warmed up but when they do, they are supersticky for track use.

The other kind is actually a very sticky street tire (such as the Falken RT-615) which is also suitable for track use. Think of these tires as falling in between top street tires (e.g. Goodyear F1 GS-D3) and R compound track tires. So they're really sticky on dry pavement - stickier than the F1 GS-D3, but not as sticky when you get them warmed up as R comps on the track. They last longer than R comps, but not as long as other street tires. They're not great in the rain, but they're still better than R comps.

Which kind do you need? If they are only for track use, and you have enough experience to be able to benefit from the additional performance, then get R compound track tires. If you plan to use them on the street - not just to and from the track, but for driving around town, at least once in a while - then I recommend getting the very sticky street tires.

If you're looking for very sticky street tires, Dunlop recently introduced their Direzza Sport Z1 tire (not to be confused with the Direzza DZ101 budget performance tire). The Direzza Sport Z1 is priced similar to the Falken RT-615 and the performance is even slightly better. Size availability depends on your wheel size. Otherwise, the RT-615 is available in most NSX-friendly sizes.

If you're looking for R compound track tires, there are a lot of excellent ones these days. The best value is often with the Toyo RA-1 and Nitto NT-01.

I don't know about the meet yet, we'll see...

Looking good Cody. I know Mark is up to doing the same thing right now so there are a few guys going this route. I wonder how each of your set-ups will differ. Whats really sneaky is I see you are using tials new v-band housing on that 42R. Now I get why you sold your 42R with your old kit.

Are you taking requests right now because I have a small one?

Your one of the few guys I know with that housing that probably also has a regular 42R around also. Would you mind putting both on a scale and telling me the difference?

Other things to note. Looks like a 3" flaring to 4" DP. Also looking like you lengthened the rear tube runner to maybe get both banks to be closer to equal length to see more similar cylinder pressures. I LIKE THAT. I just got done reading a book that talked about the importance of that in tunning because you are always having to tune to the least efficient cylinder leaving the other cylinders in an inefficient manor. The book also stressed that while most people think equal length runners are for better pulsing and spooling, independent race teams found while gains were minimal there, they picked up HUGE gains from being able to tune the car better, since the VE of each cylinder was closer matched by exhaust lengths. Makes since to me. Have the resistance coming out of each cylinder equal because you tune the motor as a whole.

I'm always trying to learn you know?

J. R.

42R and 4" downpipe combo are so small and so yesterday ;) PM me to chat guys, I don't want to clutter up this midwest forum thread.

To answer your question, the standard 42R is gone with the customer car. The weight difference felt to be at least 25lbs lighter. I did not weigh the turbos, but the weight differences were SUBSTANTIAL.

Definately proves that I'm being watched by everyone on Prime... :wink:

Thanks Randy for forwarding me the link. Dave & I will be there.

Frank- Thanks for the PM and creating this post. I will be out of town on business over the weekend.

Regards,

Thought I should notify you guys of my cancellation. The reason? We don't have a dog sitter and 14 hours is just too long to leave lil' Pixie all to herself. So I'll just be meeting with WOODY in GR and turning around and heading home.

I'll make the spring fling for sure guys!!!

Special thanks to everyone who braved the cold to make it out, especially our fine members who came from Indiana and Wisconsin!

Great to catch up with everyone and get updates on all the projects. Between spare engines, full body under trays, tow rigs with trailers and wheel center caps, it seems like everyone is stepping up their game in 2008.

Guess I'm gonna have to sell a few more ad campaigns and sub sandwiches.

See you all at the NSXCA dinner.

- Frank

sorry for the repost but i didn't get an answer for my question could someone point me in the right direction to whom i may ask. my question was (is this a strickly nsx meet only or could my brother bring his ferrari ), i just wanted to know because me and him dont want to show up and get booted because we dont know the rules. thanks in advance to whom ever my answer my question. BUY THE WAY IF YOU GUYS WOULD LIKE YOU CAN CONTACT ME ABOUT IT BUT IM ENTER HIS FERRARI AND THE NSX AND A FEW OTHER FRIENDS CARS INTO THE VIP HIN SHOW IN CHICAGO, IL MAYBE SOME OF YOU GUYS WOULD LIKE TO JOIN.

I think you'd be welcome to bring any car you want. However, you'll need a time machine too because this was last Saturday.

Downer's Grove car show over the summer would be a good place to come-- Keep an eye out for posts.

Back