• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Cigar Aficionados

I get lost in the walk in humidors every time I go to my local smokeshop. Seriously like 45 minutes.
So many choices, so little time to sit back , relax and enjoy oneself.

So what are some of your favorites? Got a secret stogie that you fancy?
Well then post up!

And if you seriously taste that hint of chocolate coupled with the earthiness of of peat and the mild spice of nutmeg , tell me how on earth did you educate your pallet to that level?

Slam me if you want , I like Black+Milds , a pipe tobacco cigar.

Not much as far as a REAL cigar , but I like them now and then.

Somebody must post about a GOOD cigar , not like what I smoke.

I own a cigar hookah lounge.

Entry level: Macanudo, Punch, R y J, Montecristo, green label Fuente, Padron thousand series.

Entry level premium: Fuente Hemingway, Fuente Don Carlos, Aurora 1495, Ashton Puro Sol, Ashton VSG.

Top premium: Padron 1964/1926, FF Opus X, Fuente Anejo, Aurora 100 Anos, Ashton ESG.

There are others, but these are the safe bet.

+1 on Opus X. Peppery. Very very robust. I'm not too sure what the new version is like, but i hear it kicks @$$. Aston VSG is over hyped. Not too much there. Some people say cigars are like wine, it depends on you taste. Try everything out, and pick your favorite. I personally like the cohiba cubans.

Last edited:
thanks for the suggestions, I will try some of them out. Ive heard about the Opus X, so that will be one to get.

The cohiba cubans, I like those too but its been a few years since someone brought me back a few to try. Had a Cohiba Dominican the other day; not the same but pleasant nonetheless.

Had a North Dakota roommate in college that would smoke backwoods cigars and swisher sweets when we'd drink. I didn't start seeing black and milds until I moved to the south.

Vancehu I appreciate the detailed list. A cigar bar sounds like a cool thing to own. Same with a restaurant; people will always need to eat, drink and smoke.

The key for figuring out if the cigar is good or not is the way it taste. If it is consistent all the through it uses good tobacco. Spicy cigars don't neccesary means it is strong. Some manufactures may blend the cigar spicy to create the illusion of a strong cigar. If you ever find Opus X, see if you can find the following sizes: Perfeccion #5, Petite Lancero, and XxX. These three sizes will knock you on you ass before you know it.

The greatest cigars on the planet may be the Padron 1964 and 1926 series. Very few Cubans can top that (if you ever get into Cubans).

As for Cuban cigars, stay away from them right now, until you developed a good taste, you may not be able to figure out if they are counterfeit. 90% of Cubans you see are fake.

The 1926 and 1964 Padrons are very good but very overpriced, particularly the 1926. I don't think any cigar outside of a true vintage Cuban is worth more than $25. :rolleyes: Same goes for the Opus X. Very good but way too expensive IMO.

The Ashton VSGs are excellent and a little more reasonably priced. I also liked the Punch Rare Corojo and the Fuente Don Carlos series (black band trim) are generally very good as are the Fuente Anejo (white band trim) which are actually Opus X filler with Don Carlos wrapper. Very hard to find but typically cheaper than the actual Opus X. Haven't had many non-Cubans lately though.

I think Vance's claim that 90% of Cubans are fake is a bit of an exaggeration these days. Certainly used to be the case maybe 10-15 years ago but they're pretty easy to get these days and there are plenty of legitimate internet vendors. And the prices are quite good. But fakes are out there and certainly in foreign countries. Be careful what and where you buy when on vacation.

As far as Cubans, they're certainly not what they used to be but I do feel that the good ones are still the best in the world. Many can be disappointing but a few are still outstanding. My opinion is that the smaller ring-guage Cuban cigars are currently the best. 2007-2009 vintages of Cohiba Lanceros, Coronas Especiales and Exquisitos are terrific as are the Montecristo Especiales #1 and #2. :wink:

The 1926 and 1964 Padrons are very good but very overpriced, particularly the 1926. I don't think any cigar outside of a true vintage Cuban is worth more than $25. :rolleyes: Same goes for the Opus X. Very good but way too expensive IMO.

The Ashton VSGs are excellent and a little more reasonably priced. I also liked the Punch Rare Corojo and the Fuente Don Carlos series (black band trim) are generally very good as are the Fuente Anejo (white band trim) which are actually Opus X filler with Don Carlos wrapper. Very hard to find but typically cheaper than the actual Opus X. Haven't had many non-Cubans lately though.

I think Vance's claim that 90% of Cubans are fake is a bit of an exaggeration these days. Certainly used to be the case maybe 10-15 years ago but they're pretty easy to get these days and there are plenty of legitimate internet vendors. And the prices are quite good. But fakes are out there and certainly in foreign countries. Be careful what and where you buy when on vacation.

As far as Cubans, they're certainly not what they used to be but I do feel that the good ones are still the best in the world. Many can be disappointing but a few are still outstanding. My opinion is that the smaller ring-guage Cuban cigars are currently the best. 2007-2009 vintages of Cohiba Lanceros, Coronas Especiales and Exquisitos are terrific as are the Montecristo Especiales #1 and #2. :wink:

Dude, keep in mind this guy is in FL, not California. He is not obligated to the 47% tobacco tax and have to deal with Cuban Americans who "have a family members working in the cigar factory in Cuba, and some how they have no problem bring those cigars into the US."

Padron 1926 are the best none cuban you can buy, you will not find a better none Cuban cigars.

Cuban cigars suffered quality control. skinny cigars like the Lancero size are often rolled too tight. Major brands like Montecristo are are good but if you want some thing different, you can try Diplomatico, Juan Lopez, Hoyo De Monterey.

But as I have indicated, if your new, stay away from Cubans for now, because you wouldn't know what to look for.

Dude, keep in mind this guy is in FL, not California. He is not obligated to the 47% tobacco tax and have to deal with Cuban Americans who "have a family members working in the cigar factory in Cuba, and some how they have no problem bring those cigars into the US."

Padron 1926 are the best none cuban you can buy, you will not find a better none Cuban cigars.

Cuban cigars suffered quality control. skinny cigars like the Lancero size are often rolled too tight. Major brands like Montecristo are are good but if you want some thing different, you can try Diplomatico, Juan Lopez, Hoyo De Monterey.

But as I have indicated, if your new, stay away from Cubans for now, because you wouldn't know what to look for.

Ah, yes, missed FL. Definitely a greater number of fakes floating around there but genuine ones are still not too difficult to find.

And I agree, the 1926 and 1964 Padrons are possibly the best NCs but I'm smoking through a box of 08 Cohiba Exquisitos that are better than any non-Cuban I've ever had.

And yes, the small ring-guage Cuban cigars have been prone to tight draws in the last 10 years but that really hasn't been a big problem recently. The massive factory renovation/construction and implementation of draw-checking machines over the last 5 years has improved quality overall quality and some select vitolas have improved greatly--some arguably approaching pre-boom levels. But only a few at present IMO. The best non-Cuban cigars can still be better than the average Cuban but the best Cuban cigars are still superior to any non-Cuban.

www.cigarbid.com - spend a lot of money there on the 5 packs and figure out what you like.

I'm a big fan of the CAO Brazilian in Gol size, tasty stick. Also most of Rocky Patel's lines are good, the Vintage 98's are very nice. One brand not listed on CB is Butera and they are pretty good too IMHO.

Reviving this thread because I'm interested in learning more about Cigars. I was at Vance's lounge yesterday and learned some new information. Please list some favorite Cigars of yours........

AVO LE10 is one of my favorite smokes. It's just an incredible and well-balanced blend. Usually run $15-17 each in a shop.

In the 'everyday' category, I like the Arome de Cuba Mi Amor and Joya de Nicaragua Antano Dark Corojo. Both run $7ish per stick. The JdN is a bit of a kick in the pants if you're not used to something that strong though.

Not a connoisseur, but I like these... Cohiba Toros

large_cohiba-toro-tubo-box-10-prod-shot.jpg

Hoping to sneak across some Cubans on my way back from either Punta Cana, DR or Cancun... Hoping to sneak them by the Dallas airport customs... or should I just ship them? LOL :rolleyes:

I'm not fond of direct, potentially-troublesome, contact with CBP. Shipping, via FedEx or UPS (preferably, you have an account), from one legitimate, non-tourism, non-tobacco related business to another is pretty fool-proof. I've not had a single package in exchange with Canada that was opened by Customs when sent in this manner.

Just remember, they can technically throw the book at you for importation. Something like 5yrs/50k per offense.

I'm not fond of direct, potentially-troublesome, contact with CBP. Shipping, via FedEx or UPS (preferably, you have an account), from one legitimate, non-tourism, non-tobacco related business to another is pretty fool-proof. I've not had a single package in exchange with Canada that was opened by Customs when sent in this manner.

Just remember, they can technically throw the book at you for importation. Something like 5yrs/50k per offense.

Yea, I highly doubt I'll be carrying them myself... so I'll look at other options... :wink:

The first smoke I ever had (of ANY KIND) was a true, full blooded Cuban cigar and to say the least the experience was magical. So much so it fueled a several year long smoking habit. Now that I am completely smoke free, the only thing that could possible coax me out of my smoke free status is the occasional authentic Cuban that I get out of a perk of my job and a Romeo Y Julietta.

I smoke mostly Cubans now a days, and I stock mostly Cubans. I can't compete with the Internet on USDM cigars. In fact, the top notch Dominicans and Nicaraguans are pricier. The day they legalize Cubans s the day i will sell my shop.

Re: How about a lightly used Fuente Opus X ?

Pretty much off topic, but thought you might like a laugh.

http://columbus.craigslist.org/clt/2259772914.html

ATTENTION ARNOLD SCHWARZENEGGER FANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Columbus OH)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------Date: 2011-03-11, 12:46PM EST
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
VERY RARE COLLECTIBLE FROM THE ONE AND ONLY TERMINATOR!!!

Arnold Schwarzenegger

UP FOR SALE is a genuine Fuente Opus X smoked cigar SMOKED by the Terminator/Governator

This cigar was gathered just minutes after Arnold discarded it. Arnold is a cigar aficionado. He has been seen in countless movies, on magazine covers, and photos have been taken that document his love of cigars. Fuente Opus X cigars are widely known as the top of the line super premium cigars, some of the rarest, and most sought after cigars in the world. A fact that is validated by Cigar Aficionado magazine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As many of you already know. The Arnold Classic is held in Columbus, OH each March. On March 6th, 2001 I recently was at a local shopping center in Columbus, OH and Arnold was there walking around with his entourage of body guards and family. He made a purchase of this cigar at the cigar shop (I was a witness) and lit it inside the shop. He then walked around outside with it smoking it. When he was finished with it he discarded it into a potted plant. Photos of him (with dates on photos) walking around with this cigar are also in this posting. THE ONLY PERSON TO TOUCH THIS CIGAR HAS BEEN ARNOLD, GLOVES WERE USED TO GATHER IT AND HAS NOT BEEN TOUCHED SINCE.

This item was used by Arnold and is real! Dont miss out on a chance to have a great piece of the Terminator to display in your home or cigar shop!

This is a one of a kind and unique item.

*ATTN* YOU MUST BE AT LEAST 18 YEARS OF AGE TO PURCHASE THIS ITEM, WILL CHECK ID UPON PURCHASE.

The item is currently being protected from any elements, and is being contained in a humidor.

More Photos available upon request

Make offer!

•it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 2259772914

Attachments

• 3k53of3l55V15O35Y5b3b7ff4799473061afd.jpg
    3k53of3l55V15O35Y5b3b7ff4799473061afd.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Back