• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Cigarette power spliter?

Blows fuse when plugged in or when used to power something else? What are you powering (load) with it?

A better way is to leverage the unused car phone power behind the center speaker. Will require some wire work...

Blows fuse when plugged in or when used to power something else? What are you powering (load) with it?

A better way is to leverage the unused car phone power behind the center speaker. Will require some wire work...

With just the splitter plugged in and nothing else it blows the fuse. I don’t have this issue when plugged into my Lexus.

I returned it already. But there was no movement. It might have damaged the wire in the console because now without the splitter a fuse has blown with the same dash cam I had in before the splitter. Crossing my fingers the current fuse does not blow. Can I put a 25 or 30 amp fuse instead?

Sounds like a socket issue. Make sure nothing has fallen into the socket and shorting out the contact.

You may have to remove console to inspect socket and wiring. And if you are going that far, might as well change your power demands to be more elegant.

Do NOT increase fuse rating.

If your original dashcam is now blowing the fuse by itself, you might have melted the wiring harness connector to the cig lighter wires which could be shorting out. See attached. It would be a good idea to take the console off to inspect it at least.
Definitely don't use a bigger fuse, there seems to be enough problems with this circuit even at 20A.
7PPAmCg.jpg

Well the cig lighter male harness part is 39600-SL0-505, but in the case of the picture I posted, it's the female terminal side of the body harness that's melted so not realistic to replace that entirely. The fix for that would be replacing the connector itself with a new Sumitomo HD 090-3 female terminal w/new pins which you can get from Cycle Terminal. The connector # should be C428. I'd take the console off to check the state of your wires first, but your symptoms indicate a short created recently somewhere in the circuit and this is a likely spot.

IMG_0180[1].jpgIMG_0176[1].jpgIMG_0177[1].jpgIMG_0174[1].jpg

I finally got the chance to remove the dash after seeing this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVNvA1TLMxA
All wires seem to be in good condition. Saw another thread about having more than 1 fuse, #3 in the dash fuse box but my 97 did not have fuse #3 .
I removed the cig light bulb hoping that might help but it did not. Any other thoughts
Only thing I found was some loose change. :redface:

1st photo.

Not sure at what stage you took this photo but is that how the WHT/BLU wire connected to the centre terminal of the cigarette lighter socket?

Can't remember exactly but it should be covered in high temperature spec connector housing (possibly in custard cream colour) with specific terminal design.
I think your photo is showing the remains of this special design without the connector housing.

Because the photo was taken after pulling the centre console off and due to the angle of the photo, can't really tell but if there was no insulation around the terminal,
it could easily short to the GND when you wiggled the splitter in your post #1 , under vibration, etc or simply the last time when the centre console was re-installed.

The fuse could be blown as soon as you turned the IGSW into P2 ACC even before trying to power up any devices connected.

If you are going to insulate it, please use high temperature spec material.
You may not smoke or never uses the lighter but in case someone actually uses the real cigarette lighter in the future.

Kaz

1st photo.

Not sure at what stage you took this photo but is that how the WHT/BLU wire connected to the centre terminal of the cigarette lighter socket?

Can't remember exactly but it should be covered in high temperature spec connector housing (possibly in custard cream colour) with specific terminal design.
I think your photo is showing the remains of this special design without the connector housing.

Because the photo was taken after pulling the centre console off and due to the angle of the photo, can't really tell but if there was no insulation around the terminal,
it could easily short to the GND when you wiggled the splitter in your post #1 , under vibration, etc or simply the last time when the centre console was re-installed.

The fuse could be blown as soon as you turned the IGSW into P2 ACC even before trying to power up any devices connected.

If you are going to insulate it, please use high temperature spec material.
You may not smoke or never uses the lighter but in case someone actually uses the real cigarette lighter in the future.

Kaz

Hi Kaz,

I took off the plastic cap to see if it shorted on the inside but it does not look like it did. Not sure what else to look for?

Thanks,
John

IMG_0181[1].jpg

Back