• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

CIvic Type R

Its a really nice 6 speed though..heck it has auto rev match so everyone is a hero....

I had a gout attack in my right foot and that convinced me I had outgrown a manual. lol

Try driving with only your left foot, not easy!

Getting stuck in afternoon traffic wasn't swell either, even with a nice clutch and no gout.

Last edited:
podagra can make doing anything foot related a "pain"....The civic type R will evolve...I can see it gaining all wheel drive and perhaps some electrification as most makers will be pressured to do.

My good friend has a 2020 Sonic Grey Pearl Type R. Beautiful car.
With the short time I've had behind the wheel, it is very impressive and does seem to be quite the car, very tempting to obtain one for myself.
The auto rev match is sort of weird though, being my first time experiencing such technology.

Just to report, he suffered a dreaded puncture to one of his front Continental Sportcontact 6, didn't know it at the time (just a low tire pressure warning) and had to limp it home, but ended up popping the tire.
It was "ripped"/"torn" on the inside edge between the tread and the non-existent sidewall (about 5-6 inches in length). He probably could have saved the tired if he had just parked it and gotten it plugged, but he was in a tough situation trying to get home after work. I helped with getting the wheel off afterwards to bring it in for a new tire, which he had to wait several days for the dealership to get a new tire in.
The tires definitely seem to be finicky based on various auto publications reviews, experience stated here, and his situation, but I'm guessing that is mostly due to the size/specifications of the specific Type R tire.
And I guess not having a spare makes matters worse when you have a vehicle that is prone to potential tire issues.

Last edited:
I've switched auto rev match OFF because after a while of not driving the NSX (MT) I've unlearned to rev match by foot and drove like a idiot.

I've had 3 (in letters: three) punctures with the bloddy Conti tires, all of them on the very first miles. After +-1'000 miles no punctures anymore. I'd go with a different brand next time. The Conti seems to be ultra sticky when new.

The pain of selling it is nearly gone, now looking to buy the next toy (whatever it will be...).

Yeah, I think initial impression is that I'm not a fan of the auto rev match. Doesn't it have to be defeated/turned off each time you turn the car on?

His puncture came at ~8,600 miles. So we discussed how many miles were to be expected from the Sportcontact 6s and I wondered internally if it would've been better to replace all four tires at the same time, but he just did the one for the time being.

Good luck, [MENTION=10201]goldNSX[/MENTION] !

That's so interesting. My CTR also had two punctures in the right front tire over the first 10K miles or so. Luckily I was close enough to home that I could return and take the tire to get it repaired. Even after repair, one or more of the tires seemed to leak, which caused the TPM to sound an alarm frequently. When the OEM Contis wore out, I replaced them with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, and so far they haven't had a puncture, and there have been zero TPM alerts, although it's only been about 5000 miles.

Another puncture case.

Do you like the Pilot Sport 4S over the Sportcontact 6, Glen?

The PS4S are not as aggressive in turn-in response and tread blocks feel more squirmy. Grip seems slightly down but I've only done street driving and I haven't pushed it on track. However the PS4S are much quieter and take the harshness off of broken pavement. So for street driving I really love them.

The conti 6 is a really good tire ...any 30 series is gonna have issues

Yeah, I think initial impression is that I'm not a fan of the auto rev match. Doesn't it have to be defeated/turned off each time you turn the car on?
You can switch it off permanently in the car settings.

The annoying part of having 30 sidewall tires is that the TPMS has to be programmed on the knife's edge. As a result of that, the TPMS can act up on spirited drives in the mountains but as a false positive. But in this situation, you have no other option than checking the pressure ASAP and cancel the fun drive immediately. I was about to mount a professional TPMS to monitor the tire pressures from the cabin...

Long story short: had to wait for the tires needing replacement but decided to sell it in the meantime.

Not sure if available in the US but Honda sells a Civic Sport with the same engine but a slimmer rear wing and 19'' rims with Michelins on them. I guess that would be my choice if it was available back in 2018.

Last edited:

His puncture came at ~8,600 miles. So we discussed how many miles were to be expected from the Sportcontact 6s and I wondered internally if it would've been better to replace all four tires at the same time, but he just did the one for the time being.

Good luck, @goldNSX !

I saw one interview with a Japanese Honda engineer that best characterizes the auto rev match. (Paraphrased) “If you know how to heel and toe, do it even if you leave rev matching on. The system will support you.”

I leave the system on all the time and just do my own heel and toe. I only ever notice the auto rev match system when I make a mistake, and it fills in my under-blip and otherwise doesn’t cause an issue.

You’ll also notice in track (“R”) mode the rev match is a lot more aggressive.

Last edited:
How does auto rev match act if you do a "money shift" like 5th->2nd? Anyone wanna try out and report back??? :D:D:D

I just leave it on and still play twinkle toe

My current manual has auto rev match and I kinda like it. It’s one less thing for me to do, and the computer does it so much better than I can. At least I still like driving a manual and I probably will never get another sports car with a DCT.

Auto rev matching should be something you can turn off. Although I like to blip my own shifts as well, I do think that it helps smooth out the ride if you are not perfect each time. I've been driving stick for years and I still have trouble not shifting without some jerkiness.

I hear some other car company is making a manual gearbox with no need to feather into 1st. Now THAT I would be a super fan of! I hate shifting into first. The BMWs I was looking at also had auto-parking brake on a rolling incline. That's a neat feature as I've never really learned to use it when taking off on an incline.

yep the CTR has that too...

Love my 2018 CW CTR. Great daily driver. I added the 19" NC1 front Y Spoke rims all around. Forged and 10 pounds a rim lighter and very close to stock offset. Lots more tire choices too. Probably the easiest manual to drive I have ever driven.

Last edited:
Back