• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Cocky "reserve" soldier meets Marine cop.

Thats great! Not sure why some guys feel they can flex their military status esp towards a police office when there are a good amout of officers who have prior service. Not a good idea.

Flexing (military, political, business, social contacts, etc...) is probably never a good thing...especialy when the other party has situational authority and a ticket book/gun.

Last edited:
I know the reserve was quite arrogant, but the cop had no right to sucker punch him and then kneeled on his chest. I support our police officers most of the time. But this guy is clearly abusing his authority.
Steve

I think the cop was within his rights. From my point of view, the Soldier Boy took an offensive posture toward the cop. At this point the cop can use non lethal force to take him down. He could have tased him, but took him down instead until the tread was neutralized. I think he actually showed restraint. At that point a face full of pepper spray would have also been justified.

I think this is a non issue. You let them work it out Soldier to Marine. Sometimes the public needs to stay to just stay out of it. If Soldier Boy wants to press charges, that is his right. If Solder Boy feels he was put in his place and is okay with it, than so be it.

While I somewhat agree with you, there comes a time when a point needs to be made. Hopefully in the future the ex-soldier will not abuse his soldier status and act like a respectable adult.
I know the reserve was quite arrogant, but the cop had no right to sucker punch him and then kneeled on his chest. I support our police officers most of the time. But this guy is clearly abusing his authority.
Steve

I think the cop was within his rights. From my point of view, the Soldier Boy took an offensive posture toward the cop. At this point the cop can use non lethal force to take him down.

That is an example of the "use of force continuum" that all LEOs train for.

Not sure where the "offensive posture" came from. He was still smoking a cigarette, never made a move to take physical action, never made a move to get a weapon. The officer stepped to him.

All I see is a guy who was beat up, called the police because of the physical violence done to him, and possible theft of his property. He was pissed because of the 45 minute response time. While it is obvious his attitude sucked, it should also be within the police mindset to defuse the situation. There are many ways to do that, but the officer chose to take one that, it seemed to me, to show his power. Not sure that was the right course of action to someone who is non-threatening and unarmed.

Not sure where the "offensive posture" came from. He was still smoking a cigarette, never made a move to take physical action, never made a move to get a weapon. The officer stepped to him.

All I see is a guy who was beat up, called the police because of the physical violence done to him, and possible theft of his property. He was pissed because of the 45 minute response time. While it is obvious his attitude sucked, it should also be within the police mindset to defuse the situation. There are many ways to do that, but the officer chose to take one that, it seemed to me, to show his power. Not sure that was the right course of action to someone who is non-threatening and unarmed.

I guess I could agree about the offensive posturing, but IMHO, the cop can step in at anytime. That is no big deal. Maybe a little cocky, but he is the authority at this point. For me though, once the guy squared his shoulders to the cop and went nose to nose, that is posturing. I grew up interpreting a square up like that as a sign you are about ready to fight. However, I can't see his hands as it is out of camera view so I'll concede that I do not have enough information to form an opinion on the matter.

Too this Marine Cop, maybe the other guys actions is non threatening, but too me, being a small 5'4" Asian dude that grew up in the country in not the best neighborhood, I'd take that move as a threat and personally would be looking to defend myself. But, that is my personal life's experience.

Last edited:
I think the whole incident could've been avoided had the guy not start using the term "US Soldier, know who your talking too". He did this twice. I don't think this would set well with any figure of authority, especially a marine. You know what they say "once a Marine, always a Marine". Both guys apparently had something to prove, unfortunately the bigger one prevailed.

Major Forbes: WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON HERE?!

Sgt. Maj. John Rawlins: Attention!

Major Forbes: You! Yes, you! What's your name? I'm putting you up on charges!

Sgt. Maj. Rawlins: Ain't no cause for that, sir.

Major Forbes: What's that, Sergeant?

Sgt. Maj. John Rawlins: It's just a soldiers' fight, sir.

Major Forbes: All right. You men move along. MOVE IT!

Non issue here.

Understand that someone is upset that it took 45 minutes for the police to get there but everything the reserve soldier did escalated the situation. You don't attempt to physically challenge the authorities who are there to help you. C'mon. Rant and wail all you want but don't try to physically intimidate a LEO.

I'm fairly impressed that the LEO acted as calmly as he did after the event and didn't charge him.

I'm fairly impressed that the LEO acted as calmly as he did after the event and didn't charge him.

Why wouldn't he act calm? He just sucker punched someone and laid him out.

Charge him for what? The guy never made a move to swing or pull a weapon.

I'm really sorry for the upbringing of anyone who thinks they can out "right" a police officer in the moment. Don't be stupid.

If you think you are in the right, then go along with whatever he/she says and shut your damn mouth! Challenge the policeman's decision in court. 9/10 times, idiots like this wouldn't even find themselves in this position if they would just respect that the officer is there to help. US SOLDIER BRO, give me a break.

Young people, understand this: Life is not a damn video game and you're not "special", no matter what your mother told you or however many gold stars you were given at every opportunity.

I was young, dumb and full of *** once, that's how I know! I'm 36 and can see a huge difference in people just a few years younger. Crazy.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone watching this video felt that "US SOLDIER BRO" wasn't a tool.

The question is whether or not the officer laid him out because he was a threat or because he wanted to exert his authority in the most humiliating way possible.

And if it was the latter, then it is a problem.

Last edited:

"US Soldier Bro" took two steps and confronted the officer. At that instant, the LEO prevented the situation from escalating further.

"US Soldier Bro" took two steps and confronted the officer. At that instant, the LEO prevented the situation from escalating further.

That is debatable. It was pretty clear that the officer stepped forward into the guy's personal space. It was also clear by what he said after he hit "US SOLDIER BRO" was "now you are down" and you are "talking to a US Marine". Neither of which is LEO sop.

It was also clear that the officer kept "US SOLDIER BRO" out of frame when he was down which I personally thought was interesting.

Back