• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Color change: Bad idea?

Does anyone have PERSONAL EXPERIENCE with a color change on THEIR NSX? This seems to be a no no, but I know there are folks out there who have done it. Just a few questions: Would you do it again? Satisfied with the results? How much did it cost? What colors did you change from/to? Any pearls of wisdom to share? Thanks

i think it is fine as long as it right.
in other words if your going to do a color change get a black NSX.
or you could get a seabring silver and paint it Kieser silver or red and paint it broze etc. just don't get a red nsx and paint it blue or yellow etc as the color is so drastic you'll be covering up jams for the rest of your ownership
Stuart
p.s. i went from black to yellow and cost around $4500- with aftermarket parts to be painted aswell.

If future re-sale is of concern to you I would advise against it. Even repainting a car the same color seems to discourage those buyers looking for a pristine example of a stock car. You may want to consider the substanial cost of the paint job, plus the thousands you may loose if a time comes that you want to sell your NSX.

If its a color that is available for an NSX, and you decide you might sell ur car at 1 point, I think it might even be cheaper just to trade it in for the color that you want.

If you have a pristine example of an nsx, the answer will always be NO, Don't do it. If you are like me and mine, with areas already painted, and some crappy body work and door dings to match, go for it. I think that when I paint the car, have all the dings removed, and the bodywork fixed, it will definitley up the value of my car. Not right away, if looking at cost vs return, as I figure about 6K to do it right. BUT, if I keep the car another 5 years after the work, it will a) look so much better and bring me so much more happiness and b) be taken care of so much better that the condition will look better 5 years from now as it does right now, that paintwork in my opinion is the only way to go. Besides, in 20 years, my guess is that only the cars that have never been outside the garage, will not need something painted. Others will disagree, but look at what people say about actual paint lifetimes, even when they are taken care of. JMHO

Tom

I think that when I paint the car, have all the dings removed, and the bodywork fixed, it will definitley up the value of my car.

Tom,

I agree fully with your comments. I just returned this morning from the paintless dent repair shop. They were able to restore my front fender to near new condition, which increases my joy and happiness! I'm sure that a ding free, freshly painted exterior will do wonders for your personal enjoyment of your car.

4Chin500 said:
If future re-sale is of concern to you I would advise against it. Even repainting a car the same color seems to discourage those buyers looking for a pristine example of a stock car. You may want to consider the substanial cost of the paint job, plus the thousands you may loose if a time comes that you want to sell your NSX.

Well, if future resale is a concern, perhaps you shouldn't drive it at all. Everyone likes low mileage cars. Or even sit in it. If you want your car a different color, future resale implicitly is not a concern.

The 94 still looks pretty sharp so that's not an issue. It has 83k on the odo, so it is not a garage queen. And since it is "the car" as far as I'm concerned, I'm in it for the long haul and look for the happiness/enjoyment quotient over resale value. My concerns stem from making sure it LOOKS right; and I'm sure that is dependent on the body shop. I know one in Tucson that did an entire repaint, but not a color change. At $5k that's not entirely unreasonable. Considering that a set of HRE wheels is $4k it seems almost like a bargain considering the work involved. Mine is black and we all know how much a pain that can be to keep clean. And that blue REALLY looks sharp. I've thought about yellow as well, and there are at least 2 folks who have made the black-yellow switch. We'll see.

davidb said:
Well, if future resale is a concern, perhaps you shouldn't drive it at all. Everyone likes low mileage cars. Or even sit in it. If you want your car a different color, future resale implicitly is not a concern.
This is an absurd statement. Going by your logic, no one should buy a car at all if resale value is of concern, because most cars inevitably depreciate in value anyway. Does that mean no car buyer should be concerned about resale value? :rolleyes: There's a big difference between repainting a car and putting miles on it. For most people a repaint would cause a lot more pause than mileage, because of the possibility that it may be hiding serious issues.

I agree with 4chin....I bought a car that was on 2fast2furious that they painted blue and put graphics on it--they missed the inside area of the gas tank, failed to remove the bumpers, did not get inside the engine area etc etc......if u do not care about resale then go for it--I see u are in Tucson---you have to find a paint shop that does restoration work because the collision shops do not want to just do the prep work, paint and color sanding etc...U can save money if you R&I the door panels, the bumpers, the locks, moldings etc (the windshield should also be removed in a proper job).. Steel cars go completely down to the metal but I would not do that with this car due to the special bonding process of the initial protective layer with the aluminum...

You also have to decide on the paint process clear v. no clear.... A good shop that uses clear coat will guarantee their paint such as Emmett Body & Paint here in Phoenix..U can get an excellent paint job for well under 4k here and under 3500 if you do some of the R&I work. The amount would change depending on the degree of color change and whether that change has to include every area of the car....

PHOEN$X said:
This is an absurd statement. Going by your logic, no one should buy a car at all if resale value is of concern, because most cars inevitably depreciate in value anyway. Does that mean no car buyer should be concerned about resale value? :rolleyes: There's a big difference between repainting a car and putting miles on it. For most people a repaint would cause a lot more pause than mileage, because of the possibility that it may be hiding serious issues.

Well, no kidding!

As a car owner, if I want a purple car, I'm going to have a purple car. Obviously, resale value's not a concern. If I'm concerned about the resale value, then I don't want a purple car and I don't have it painted!
You ask if no car buyer should be concerned about resale value? Not if they want to change the car's color.

Either you want a purple car or you want a resale value.

davidb said:
You ask if no car buyer should be concerned about resale value? Not if they want to change the car's color.
brickdds mentioned he was thinking of repainting his car blue (not purple). All I (and the others) are suggesting is that he might come out ahead if he sold his NSX and purchased a factory blue car rather than doing a repaint, especially if resale value is to be considered.

My prior post was addressing your comment about how no one should drive their car if resale value is a concern. You were implying that putting miles on a car has the same effect as repainting a car (as far as resale value is concerned), and that simply isn't true.

On the two contentious matters---u can have your cake & eat it too...For purists, any re-paint at all much less a change in paint color will lower the value in their estimation---that reduces the number of potential buyers immediately on a re-sale. HOWEVER, if you want to re-paint you can document that lack of damage (or otherwise as you may find) during the stripping/sanding process--that will show whether any prior body work was done on the car---definitely take photos if its pristine....Also if you absolutely remove everything on the re-paint and document that also-- even though it's a re-paint the documented care in the repaint will help if you resell and will actually add value for those Buyers who are not purists.....Especially if they like the paint over what was there before----me I like the metallic blue over the formula red--I mind this less than the high mileage but then I am not a purist and I know Honda has a good reputaton for reliability and so the high mileage does not concern me especially as I do not drive that many miles per year....Anything is better than my 350 chevy conversion in my 78 jag (especially as to the AC)

PHOEN$X said:
[b

My prior post was addressing your comment about how no one should drive their car if resale value is a concern. You were implying that putting miles on a car has the same effect as repainting a car (as far as resale value is concerned), and that simply isn't true.

You understood the wrong implication. They do have the same effect. No mention to what extent, though.

Re-sale miles

Technically speaking if a car is driven 10-12k per year and not more, the mileage should not affect the value of the car--if it's more, it should lower it and if it's less should increase it.

From what I have seen of the NSX while researching value is that unless the mileage is very low in the early years it does not increase the value and that's because it seems a great many NSX owners have low mileage cars--they simply don't drive them much. I really have not seen any truly high mileage cars for same--even mine at 113 is not high mileage given it's a 93---but notwithstanding that, the value would be lower because there are so many low mileage cars available...

Most of us common folk care less for the paint than the mechanical aspects of the car---and we definitely want a nice clear title with a good carfax.....WE can see the quality of the paint and we know approximately what it will cost to remedy IF WE CARE to....The mechanics are what scare--what if this is bad what if that is bad REMEMBER most buyers are not PURISTS---it looks good, it's gonna retain it's value (I am talking the older vehicles here--all newer vehicles will depreciate considerably--most within the first 3 years), its good mechanically, its got 4 good tires (we kick them to make sure) and hey we are happy--all the rest is gravy.......:D

Re: Re-sale miles

jrehner said:
On the two contentious matters---u can have your cake & eat it too...

Hey Ponyboy...

cake.gif

More mileage lowers a car's value (all other things being equal), and less mileage increases it. The higher the mileage, the less the change of value for each mile. Perhaps there is a point (maybe it's 100K, maybe it's 150K) over which the market value stops changing with additional miles.

Seriously people, cake is great. My fav is the pretty basic yellow with chocolate. But you can have it any way you like. Pineapple Upside Down, German chocolate, etc. Warm with a glass of cold milk, cold fresh out of the refrigerator, room temp packaged and served as a snack at work. It puts you in a better mod...brings a smile to your face...makes things just pleasant. Alas, I could wax on...

The personal experiences I have with repainted NSX's has been less than favorable at best. I've seen a few and all of them have enough for me to shake my head in wonder. But hey, who am to judge their baby? It makes them happy and that's enough for me. BTW, the owners were generally happy with their new paint, paid as much as 6K, went from yellow to red, black to purple and a few others. The "pearls of wisdom" were to go to the best paint shop you could afford - not my words.

cake was paint

my cake remark was to do with repaint rather than mileage---good resale even though a repaint if one documents entire process...

My research of NSX value and I looked at a lot of them before I bought mine in May---they tend to have a minimum value of around 28-30k or so for the older ones ( at least the reserve is always that much at least or asking price) unless they have extremely low mileage and are completely stock in which case they are substantially higher than 30k....You have to be lucky to find one for less than that unless it's a salvage title....I was lucky--it had a repaint which did not bother me but the only reason I got it is because it was sold twice before and the Buyers could not get financing and the dealer wanted to sell and dropped his reserve shortly before the auction ended....He had been trying to get 27k. He could not get the 30k because of the repaint, the mileage, no maintenance records other than showing the timing belt/water pump had been changed out recently...I think the fact that it had been in the movie 2FAst....was a negative with the graphics on it and the roof scoop......

painting mine, fitting a bodykit that replaces every panel except the roof.doors and boot. i want a custom purple colour and couldnt care less about 'resale' value. If you have concerns dont do it ;) i like to stand out :)

Jimbo said:
GM,

Do a search and you'll find a number of posts on this topic.

There's also a thread over at NSXSC...

http://www.nsxsc.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001390.html

I think it's fair to say that the consensus is NOT to repaint a NSX another color unless.....

1. You plan to keep the car forever and/or don't care about resale value.

2. You have the money to do the job properly. Properly means that the paint shop is familiar with the NSX and working with aluminum bodies (pick up the factory NSX Body and Paint guide and you see what I'm referring to) and the body shop pretty much strips the entire car to paint the ENTIRE car.

It could very well cost $15K-$20K to do the job correctly and after you're all done you may have a car that's worth less than a comparable original color car.

Not to mention you might be without your car for several months.

If you really want to do this, then do it. It's your money, but don't even think of doing unless you do it right.

Since you don't yet have a NSX, I suppose you could find one that needed a paint job and a lot of work (have to remove the engine too) anyway. This might make such a project feasible if you can save money on the car.

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
http://homepage.mac.com/jimanders/PhotoAlbum1.html

[This message has been edited by Jimbo (edited 05 August 2002).]

[This message has been edited by Jimbo (edited 05 August 2002).]

I agree with Jimbo's statement, which I quoted from another thread. I would also like to add that I think a repaint is okay if the OEM paint has deteriorated to a point that a repaint might actually increase the value of the car (however, not to a point that covers the cost of a repaint of course).

Let us not forgot that the NSX's OEM paint is special in itself.

From the FAQ:

The NSX uses a "4-coat, 4-bake" process. The layers (from top to bottom) are: Clear coat, Base coat, 2nd color-primer, 1st color-primer, Electro-deposition coat, Chromate coat, Bare aluminum.

These are applied in the following 27-step process (from start to finish): degrease / water rinse / chromate coat / water rinse / air dry / electro-deposition coat / water rinse / bake /anti-moisture sealant / anti-corrosion undercoat / bake / anti-chipping primer / first color-primer / bake / hand wet-sanding / forced-air dry / second color-primer /bake / base coat / forced air blow off / clear coat / bake / roof painting / flash-off / clear coat / bake / anti-corrosion hot wax injection / final assembly

Since you don't yet have a NSX

I don't?
BTW "Jimbo", I looked up and down this thread and YOU don't have a post.!
What happened?
Just for the record I have had a '94 for over 2 years. Brought it with me to NSXPO last year. Looking forward to going again this fall. I am curious to see how the guys that spent a few thou for their paint job feel with it seeing that they should have spent $15-20 as stated...

brickdds said:
BTW "Jimbo", I looked up and down this thread and YOU don't have a post.!
What happened?
Um, if you read RyRy's post carefully, you'll note that he quoted Jim's post from another thread! Hehehe

Um, if you read RyRy's post carefully, you'll note that he quoted Jim's post from another thread! Hehehe

Um, I did.
I was trying to be humorous. Sorry that I threw you off.

If I were looking to buy an NSX I would not mind a repaint and would pay the price if:

1. It was repainted to a color the factory does not offer such as a wild, exotic, show-car finish and I really like the color.
2. It was done with the highest quality.

I would look elsewhere if the car was repainted the same color, or just another factory color because I would be wondering what happned to cause it to need repainting.

Just my opinion.

Back