• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Coming to Tampa, FL, need ABS help?

Ladies and Gentlemen,
I am coming to Tampa, FL for a conference on 2 Jun thru 5 Jun. I am willing to bring my ABS tools to help anyone with a 91-99 NSX that is having ABS problems to see if we can get it fixed. I don't know my schedule exactly yet, but anticipate that tuesday, wednesday or thursday evening (3-5 Jun) would be open. Send me a PM and I'll give you a list of what we will need to get the job done. First come, first served.
Brad

Please help, I spent $80 for ABS Diagnose, and they told me my ABS accumulator pressure switch defectived, have to change the whole accumulator unit for $572.85 + labor and tax!!!! Please let me know if you can help me for this one!

Thank you so much!

JZ

Please help, I spent $80 for ABS Diagnose, and they told me my ABS accumulator pressure switch defectived, have to change the whole accumulator unit for $572.85 + labor and tax!!!! Please let me know if you can help me for this one!

Thank you so much!

JZ

Sure, I will do my best. I will bring some extra parts with me. I have two other guys that I am going to help do a flush. I am sure that I will have time to help you also. Drop me a PM with your phone number and I will give you a call so we can talk.
Brad

Well here are the results of three, YES three ABS flushes. All done one evening till late. It just happened that all three cars were black. One 92 and two 91s.

Joe picked me up at my hotel in Tampa and we drove down to St Petersburg where Thao offered up the use of his shop and lift. Now that was handy. Thanks Thao. Jackie and his wife came down from north of Tampa and we all met for the first time in person. With all of the introductions complete we got to work. By this time is was about 8 pm. We did Joe's car first, since his light has been on for quite a while. We flushed out the old nasty fluid, bled the accumulator and then the solenoids. With the car up on the lift we rest the ABS computer and connected all of the electrical connections and ran the car, (above 6 mph) to engage the ABS pump. The pump ran till the pressure switch told the computer that pressure was up and then stopped. The ABS light stayed out. Off the lift and out the door. First job done. Joe then headed for the parts store for a couple qts of brake fluid. Next we did Jackie's car. Good flush and bleed, test run up on the lift and out the door it goes. Annie was doing a great job of keeping the reservoir full of brake fluid. Next came Thao's car. Everything was looking good right up to the very end when we could not get the ABS light to reset. We read the codes and came up with a 74 which is either a short or open at a solenoid. By this time it was about 11 pm and everyone had to get up to go work in the morning. Everyone was happy with the work that we did get done.

When Joe and I got in his car to go back to Tampa his ABS light was back on again and would not go out on start up. We drove home anyway and planned to get together the next evening to do the troubleshooting. As we drove we discussed all of the possibilities to fix the problem.

The next evening we started troubleshooting Joe's car. First off we picked up some electrical contact cleaner and flushed and dried the ABS solenoid connectors. We read codes, reset the ABS computer, ran codes, got different codes, reset computer, tested relays, reset computer, disconnected the battery and finally the ABS light would remain off. We didn't like this since we didn't find a "Smokin' Gun". We got together the next evening and moved some relays into different positions to see if anything changed. No change. The ABS light was still off. As we talked and read the book we came up with the theory that possibly there was some corrosion on one of the connectors or there may still be a DIRTY GROUND. Joe is going to clean all of the grounds and apply some DIELECTIRC GREASE to these. This may also be the problem with Thao's car. With all of the humidity and salt air in Florida a corroded ground could very well be the GREMLIN.
We met Jackie and his wife for dinner that evening. His ABS is back to normal, no illumination of the ABS light again. Thao said that now that the system was void of the old fluid and any air that he would troubleshoot the electrical problem. It was sure fun to ride in his Comptech SC'd car. That was a hoot!

It was really a pleasure to get to meet these three wonderful NSX owners, Annie also, from Florida. We had a great time talking about our cars and getting to know each other. We also got to do a little maintenance on these wonderful automobiles. My time in Florida ran out too soon, but I'm looking forward to the time I get to see these people again. It was GREAT FUN to meet these nice people!

Thanks,
Brad

Back