• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

comparison between NSX and C2

Looking to make a comparison between NSX and C2

Hi everyone

I have been a fan of NSXs for a long time but never drove one because I thought they are all manual steering. It just shows how much I know about the car and apologize for my ignorance.

I think manual steering is great for a weekend car but I tend to drive all my cars all the time. Wrestling a manual would be too much work for a "nice day car."

I just read up on 95s and they have power steering. Can someone point me to the right direction so I can learn more about the different generations? I would love to get together and swap experiences with my C2.

I live in CT around the Tri-State NYC area and would like to get together with a NSX owner to swap cars for a drive and compare notes in order to post a formal comparison.

For what is worth my C2 functional Mods are:

B&M SSK
PSS9 and lowered
GT3 Sways
Porsche Sports Exhaust
18" rims
EVO Intake
Racing throttle body.

Plus other desirable cosmetic exterior and interior options

TIA

Chao

Last edited:
Welcome try this.

http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Main_Page

The Nsx is light up front and does not need power steering, though it is offered after 95+. All Type-R & Zinardis are manual to save weight and give the sporty feel. Yes it can be difficult to park from a standstill but once your rolling it feels like power assist and as your accelerate at higher speeds it feels very firm and solid. If you can drive one you will be happy with the feel of manual steering its not all that difficult. It feels nearly the same as older 911's with manual steering.

All nsx have power steering except the 1991. Correct me if I am wrong.

Danny

All automatic cars have 3.0 engines with power assited steering, even NA2's. 91-94 cars have manual steering and all Zinardi's and Type-R's.

Welcome try this.

http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Main_Page

The Nsx is light up front and does not need power steering, though it is offered after 95+. All Type-R & Zinardis are manual to save weight and give the sporty feel. Yes it can be difficult to park from a standstill but once your rolling it feels like power assist and as your accelerate at higher speeds it feels very firm and solid. If you can drive one you will be happy with the feel of manual steering its not all that difficult. It feels nearly the same as older 911's with manual steering.

Thanks for the new info. Guess what I'll be doing this weekend as they are forecasting rain on Saturday. I guess I'll follow the Northeast section for get togethers..

Cheers

I have a 94 with manual steering and the effort required to steer the wheel from a standstill is juuuust slightly more than that of a power steering car. In fact, I forget that I don't have power steering until I'm reminded of it (while reading specs or reading threads such as this one).

The NSX is very light at the front end and the steering effort of a non-power-steered NSX is comparable to that of a front-engine power-steered car that's running a little low on power steering fluid. :smile:

The no power steering issue in an NSX is a joke..........YOU DONT NEED IT!!

I forget that I dont have power steering................

On the other hand my 944 has no power steering and that thing takes serious strength to move at slow speeds...........

i'm from the tri state area if your interested in meeting up. I have a manual rack on my car, but like what others have said, you can barely tell.

I have an 05 with PS, driven two NSX's without PS, and I agree. You really have to be a girl to think the thin NSX front tires with that little weight on them is all that hard to turn. I could probably do without my PS and it wouldn't bother me at all.

What year is your C2? I have owned a 1996 911 C4 and a 2002 C2. NSX totaly different feel. Not here to debate which is better. I find the NSX to be more comfortable and like the longer wheelbase of the NSX. 911 comon like a chevy compared to NSX.This may or may not matter to you. Non- power steering not really an issue.

I have an 05 with PS, driven two NSX's without PS, and I agree. You really have to be a girl to think the thin NSX front tires with that little weight on them is all that hard to turn. I could probably do without my PS and it wouldn't bother me at all.

I think much of that depends upon what tires you have up front. When my PS wasnt working for a few days in my 02, I know it was BRUTAL to park my car with 235 RA1s in the front in my garage. Big flat tire. If youre running round, skinny, girly tires, then sure, it would probably be easy.

Once the car was moving 10mph I couldnt tell the difference between assisted and not assisted steering.

Greetings

There are no NA2 automatics -- NA1 refers to the 3.0 Liter engine while NA2 refers to the 3.2 Liter engine.

G1 and G2 denote the body change -- Most noticeable difference: G1 -- first generation have the hideaway headlights (91 to 01) while G2 have fixed headlamps (02 to 05).

Cheers,
Martin

Isn't the NSX the only car with electronic steering? As in the steering wheel is not even connected to the wheels but controlled via a motor?

No. Its Electronic Power Steering. As in the motor that gives your power steering is electronic and powered by the alternator & battery versus another pulley that is always adding friction.

EPS today is not uncommon, it is on the S2000, Insight, and some other cars like saturns.

Not having the steering wheel connected to the wheels would be dangerous should something fail.

Isn't the NSX the only car with electronic steering? As in the steering wheel is not even connected to the wheels but controlled via a motor?

The (95's and up, I think?) have Throttle by Wire, and Electric Power Steering but not steering by wire.
The EPS even turns off completely after you get to a certain speed.

The Toyota Prius would be an example of one of the very few steer (and everything else) by wire cars.

I prefer my NSX in raw form (no PS, no TCS, no ABS, no cruise control, no AT). Thus, it makes for a better driving experience. I have other sports cars that are newer, faster, more comfortable, but without any driver's input I feel like I'm being driven instead.

But if the NSX will be your DD, then get an auto.

You're doing the right thing -- just go drive a few NSXs and see what you like. 91-94 manuals are the ones that lack power steering, and almost all 95+ NSXs are Targa top (removable hard top that stores above the engine). 97 is when they became 6 speeds (very nice upgrade) and 2002 when there were some cosmetic changes like fixed headlights.

Enjoy! :smile:

What year is your C2? I have owned a 1996 911 C4 and a 2002 C2. NSX totaly different feel. Not here to debate which is better. I find the NSX to be more comfortable and like the longer wheelbase of the NSX. 911 comon like a chevy compared to NSX.This may or may not matter to you. Non- power steering not really an issue.

Thanks guys for such a warm welcome. I feel this is a much smaller close knit community than the Porsche crowd. Moreover, I like the feeling of being with car enthusiasts rather than the usual "my brand is better than yours" nonsense. Every car is unique with merits in their own right.

My car is an '00 C2. Its pretty well sorted right now with a 77K miles bone dry engine(knock on wood). There are horror stories with RMS and imploding engines regarding the first generation water cooled. Porsches tend to have issues with every one of their generations. I got lucky with mine and its been a great DD during the summer and dry winter days.

Here is a pic before the drop. The picture after the drop is on my other laptop at home. I will post the dropped pic soon.

Attachments

• Library - 0143.jpg
    Library - 0143.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
I have a 94 with manual steering and the effort required to steer the wheel from a standstill is juuuust slightly more than that of a power steering car. In fact, I forget that I don't have power steering until I'm reminded of it (while reading specs or reading threads such as this one). :smile:

My thoughts exactly...It's hard to believe my 91 is NOT power steering.

Back