• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Comparo: NSX vs. Countach

Hey Boyz 'n Girlz,

Call me nutz, but I'm about to spend two days with a good friend driving his "new" Lambo Countach from Toronto to NY. It's a fully restored, properly-driven 1975 LP400 in Arrest-Me Red... should be a hoot!

I've ALWAYS been a fan of the Countach, but know in my heart of hearts that it's not the car for me -- the NSX is (or should I say, after I slap the supercharger in, it WILL be...).

Anyway, thought I'd pique y'alls interest... I'll post a full report on this completely unfair comparison test this weekend!

------------------
Don Gallo
'92 NSX Black/Black "4RE-NVME"
'00 S2000 Silver/Red "LOTSA GS"

I read an article a few months ago, I think in "Classic & Sports Car" and they kept talking about how the early Countach was much lower and slimmer profile, but they didn't give me the year (I hate that!) Anyone know?
When did the Countach get fat?

Get some photos... hope you have a digital camera.

I almost bought a white specimen as a bauble, but it seemed kinda slow and klunky compared to my NSX-Z SC. Looked cool though - if you like the Miami Vice thing - and they're pretty darned cheap too...

Bring tools and an AAA card. Those things break all the time. And don't go anywhere warm, as the AC (if it even has it) will do nothing.

They are beautiful cars, but are really just driveway jewelry. Much less driveable than the Diablo. Also, be VERY careful with the body work. During most of its production run they used very thin sheets of aluminum fastened over a tube/monocoque frame. If you lean on it, you will have a dent.

Also, have him practice backing up in an empty parking lot before doing it for real. You can't really see out the back, so you have to open the drivers door, scootch over onto the sill and back out looking over your shoulder.

Take pictures.

------------------
Don't no nuttin 'bout no NSX;
Don't no nuttin 'bout birthin' no babbies.

Originally posted by NSXocto:
I read an article a few months ago, I think in "Classic & Sports Car" and they kept talking about how the early Countach was much lower and slimmer profile, but they didn't give me the year (I hate that!) Anyone know?
When did the Countach get fat?

Get some photos... hope you have a digital camera.

The one my buddy bought is an LP400, the original design, BEFORE it got fat (with fender flares, wing, etc.). When they introduced the LP500 (in late 70s or early 80s, I believe), it started becoming a caricature. The LP400 looks just like the original concept -- clean lines without the junk, but still pretty outrageous.

And yes, I'm bringing a digital camera...

Good catch, Carguy! I was just referring to the fact that the car has that flashy 80s styling to it (whereas the testarossa that was actually used in the show still appears pretty fresh to me, at least from the rear - its got a low, wide stance). The Lambo that I drove was all white, big ass wing. It wasn't terribly fast by current standards, but in the 80s, it must have been a terror. I generally liked the exterior styling but it definitely looks like it belongs to another era...

Back