• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Comptech doesn't warranty its 9lb Supercharger?!

The point where we disagree is the third party involvement. I do not see a vendor making a guarantee involving a third party over whom they have no control.

If you give a new NSX to Comptech, and it has a baseline dyno the same as their test car, I would certainly expect it to come back with the same HP as the test car in their ads, and I agree the responsibility is on THEM.

If you start with an NSX with "issues," or have a third party shop doing the work, or both, then the responsibility is on YOU.

I may tinker with cars some, but I am not in the car tinkering business, I am from a business background and deal with all these same customer / vendor / etc. issues all the time. So let's look at a HYPOTHETICAL business example.

Let's say I decide to buy a fancy new IP phone system for my enterprise from Well Respected Phone Vendor.

But I'm really cheap, so to save money, I avoid having Well Respected Phone Vendor to come to all my locations around the world to install and configure the phone system for two reasons: 1) Their labor rate is high and 2) I'd have to pay their travel expenses

So instead I decid to use a mix of my in-house staff and consultants local to my various offices to handle the installation. They all promise me they have done this type of work before and know what they are doing.

After everything is installed and set up, my company is plagued with various problems using the system, but none of the hardware or software seems to be actually defective. We even try swapping a few units out to see if it clears up the problem, but it does not. So the problem appears to be configuration-related but none of my people can put a finger on it. We can't even figure out of the problem is actually within the phone system or with our network, or the interface between the two.

Now who is responsible? Is it Vendor A because they made all these great promises about the potential of their system, showed me a great working demo of the system and had me talk to other large companies who are happy with that system? Should they lower their promises of what their system is capable of, giving their competitors an edge in marketing?

Or is it my responsibility since I took the installation and configuration out of their hands and (mis)managed it myself?

i couldnt help but make an observation on this one, as marketing falls within my realm...

in a perfect world the product would be marketed with a 'realistic' expectation of what that product can do for you. Consequently the performance expectations would be published "lower" than what could be acheived on pristine cars. If the product can produce an extra 100hp on every application then every purchaser of that product walks away happy.

it is the old, "always underpromise and overdeliver" maxim. Unfortunately, many marketers today choose to overhype and then respond with 'results may vary'.

this is no comment on the vendors for the nsx, just a response to the theroretical discussion started here.

In business I agree... but bobody in the automotive world seems to have gotten that memo!

Maybe because most customers want to bench race based on the theoretical power, or decide what mods to buy based on the advertised peak HP/$.

Heck look at the HP Ferrari claims for their cars... Talk about optimistic!!! Show me a 355 that put out 375 HP off the factory floor and I'll show you a flying pig. Yet you still have to get in line and/or pay way over MSRP to get a new Ferrari.

yeah, i suppose it is the old "my #*## is bigger than your ##&*" thing. Of course, we know most of the guys playing that game are sporting the oscarmeyer coctail wieners.
smile.gif

Back