• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Comptech Exhaust Question

I have been having this load vibration noise when I just start off in 1st and then again at about 2500rpm. I was pretty sure it was exhaust related since the vibration doesnt occur until the engine is warm. I also revved the engine by pushing on the throttle from the engine bay so I am sure the vibration is NOT coming from the engine.

So tonight I finally decided to try and track down this vibration and it seems to be coming from the muffler. I can see the muffler vibration when the throttled is gunned. But then I noticed that the muffler says "Ultra Flow" on it. Is this the muffler Comptech uses?

Has anyone had a muffler go bad and vibrate at different rpms?

Previously a few Prime members said the vibration could be coming from spring loaded bolts that are used to hold the cats on but when I called Acura to get some new ones they advised that there were no spring loaded bolts that hold the cats on. Are they right or did I misunderstand?

Here is a pic of the muffler.........is this right for a Comptech exhaust?

DSC02328.jpg

DSC02331.jpg

DSC02333.jpg

DSC02334.jpg

Comptech uses a can similar in size, but it does not say ultra flow, it has 'comptech usa' engraved on it. It looks like someone replaced the central can of the comptech exhaust with a universal can, perhaps after an initial failure.

Ultraflow is a producer of universal mufflers, often used in custom exhaust systems. I had an ultra flow on a past BMW, and was pleased with the sound.

Funny, my muffler says Comptech on it, but the tips were replaced with some retarded quad setup. Retarded, because they're rusted pretty badly. Can't have rust on the car, it just doesn't seem right.

Nick

Comptech uses a can similar in size, but it does not say ultra flow, it has 'comptech usa' engraved on it. It looks like someone replaced the central can of the comptech exhaust with a universal can, perhaps after an initial failure.

Ultraflow is a producer of universal mufflers, often used in custom exhaust systems. I had an ultra flow on a past BMW, and was pleased with the sound.

Thank you. This is exactly what I thought but wanted confirmation on. Now if I can get someone to confirm that they have had a Ultra Flo muffler go bad and vibrate like I think this one is.

BTW - If I no longer have the actual Comptech muffler is it still considered a Comptech Exhaust or has the exhaust flow been compromised from optimal by the Ultra Flo?

Sorry I'm not familiar with Driving Ambition. Do you have a number or website?

Shad was a key player at comptech, who recently started his own company, Driving Ambition - he provides support, and continued devlopment, on several comptech nsx products, now that comptech is no longer producing these parts.

The exhaust is no longer what I would call a comptech, instead its an ultra flow, using comptech exhaust tips. The exhaust is the muffler, the tips do not define its status... personally, I like the comptech tips, which are very aesthetically appealing, but many people feel the comptech is too quiet, the ultraflow should be a bit louder. As far as performance gain, from an exhaust, gain will be marginal, but your setup is now a custom muffler, so you cannot rely on figures published for a different muffler, even if it is the same configuration.

I would take the system to a local muffler shop who is an ultra flow dealer, and have the can replaced if its making a noise. It shouldn't be too expensive, perhaps $100 for labor, $200 for the replacement muffler.

Shad was a key player at comptech, who recently started his own company, Driving Ambition - he provides support, and continued devlopment, on several comptech nsx products, now that comptech is no longer producing these parts.

The exhaust is no longer what I would call a comptech, instead its an ultra flow, using comptech exhaust tips. The exhaust is the muffler, the tips do not define its status... personally, I like the comptech tips, which are very aesthetically appealing, but many people feel the comptech is too quiet, the ultraflow should be a bit louder. As far as performance gain, from an exhaust, gain will be marginal, but your setup is now a custom muffler, so you cannot rely on figures published for a different muffler, even if it is the same configuration.

I would take the system to a local muffler shop who is an ultra flow dealer, and have the can replaced if its making a noise. It shouldn't be too expensive, perhaps $100 for labor, $200 for the replacement muffler.

Thanks for the info

funny how the comptech exhaust on my crv did the same thing, and ive talked to a few others with the same problem(different vehicles). those exhausts don't seem to be made very well.

Back