• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Comptech Supercharger on steroids: 431.7 rwhp, 303.9 rwtq

We recently completed a new project that has exceeded our expectations!

The NSX in question is a 1991 NSX.

The factory 3.0L engine was increased to 3.2L by using the later model factory bore size of 93mm. The engine was removed, sleeved with our new radiused big flange sleeve, and machine fit to a set of lowered compression forged pistons. The heads were ported, and modified to accept larger intake valves. The camshafts were replaced with our forced induction stage camshafts featuring increased lift, reduced overlap, and increased exhaust duration. The valvetrain was replaced with our titanium retainers and valve spring kit.

The supercharger kit was largely unmodified. The only modification was to replace the pulley to support 10 psi of pressure.

The fuel system was modified with larger injectors, fuel pump, and 1:1 fuel regulator. The engine management system used was the AEM EMS with dual channel UEGO.

The engine breathed through a Cantrell AIS, UNI Dual Stage filter, big bore throttle, Cantrell Advanced Header System, and Cantrell Endura-Lite exhaust.

Our expectations were exceeded with final numbers of 431.7 rwhp & 303.9 rwtq. This is based on an average run where first early morning runs exceeded 440 hp. The testing was performed on a Dynapack Model 4000 dyno which we have found to be extremely conservative (exact cars have dynoed 5-7 hp higher on other dynos frequently compared - such as the Dyno Dynamics used by Autowave).

The torque delivery is impressive with wheel spin in the lower gears. The tip in throttle is thoroughly impressive with immediate torque delivery even at low RPM. Unlike other Comptech setups, especially with the Whipple units, the power does not nose over in higher RPMs but keeps climbing and climbing until redline.

Future mods may include the inclusion of an intercooler. The average intake charge temperature was in the 180 F degree range while dynoing in 90+ degree weather. Not too far off from standard Comptech temperatures, but definitely allowing a huge margin of gain with a cooler denser charge.

take care,
-- Chris

The first dyno shows a comparison between a stock 3.0L and supercharged built 3.2L:

BENCK-vs-stock30L.jpg

The second dyno shows a comparison between the BEST Comptech Supercharged 3.2L (a 2004 model) we have ever tested and this built beast:

BENCK-vs-32LCTSC.jpg

DSC08890.jpg

DSC08893.JPG

DSC08902.jpg

DSC08906.jpg

DSC08398.jpg

DSC08915.jpg

Well, as much as I love turbos, I have to say that surely this is the ultimate street setup.

Looks like a really nice engine build too. What grade is the hone on those bores???? Hmmm, I'm guessing i'll have to buy some pistons off you before I get that info..... :biggrin:

Nice numbers !! BTW the picture with the pistons looks like evidence collected from a murder scene. :biggrin: Looks like you're going to have another satisfied customer.

Great job guys. I love to see the twin screws making some more progress. The Autorotor sure can do some things that the 1.6 L whipple simply is not capable of. Any chance you can post boost charts so I can see if I will not need to go to the 2.3 L whipple on my next project. Thanks.

Joe

Last edited:
Nice Numbers.....but then again for the amount of money the customer spent I would expect nothing less then those numbers.

This does show us what a maxed out comptech set-up will do. Now do all that same prep work on one of Cody's kits you have there and it will be crazier! Interesting dyno graph though. The torque curve flatening out so late in the game and still kinda jumpy it almost looks like a centrifigal supercharger rather than a possitive blower like the comptech. Think some of the motor work(larger cam,larger valves) are what caused that Chris?

I'm sure its quite a beast to drive though. FUN FUN!

J. R.

Well, as much as I love turbos, I have to say that surely this is the ultimate street setup.
+1

Ironically enough the best "street" setup for the NSX (positive displacement supercharger) is no longer available. :frown:

Nice Numbers.....but then again for the amount of money the customer spent I would expect nothing less then those numbers.

This does show us what a maxed out comptech set-up will do. Now do all that same prep work on one of Cody's kits you have there and it will be crazier! Interesting dyno graph though. The torque curve flatening out so late in the game and still kinda jumpy it almost looks like a centrifigal supercharger rather than a possitive blower like the comptech. Think some of the motor work(larger cam,larger valves) are what caused that Chris?

I'm sure its quite a beast to drive though. FUN FUN!

J. R.

The "jumpiness" you are seeing is because the torque vertical axis is zoomed in. On most dynos the torque is on a much wider scale, such as 0-400 lb/ft making the graph look smooth. If you compare the plot of the stock car, you will see the same thing. The power delivery is quite smooth.

regards,
-- Chris

Nice job Chris!

Looks like an adapter/sandwich IC for the bolt together Comptech manifold still needs to be made...let's talk.

The engine you have pics of has spring timing belt tensioner, I would expect a rigid tensioner at these torques would be in order.

This sure does show how well the Autorotor blower works!

Back