• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Comptech Supercharger!

I recently had a Comptech Supercharger installed on my '00 NSX-T and it is incredibly fast! It feels faster than my '96 911TT, I will truly find out when I can get the car to the track. The weather is quite prohibitive now in Michigan though.

I am having a problem though and was wondering if anyone else has experienced something similar or has any ideas on what to check.

Under hard acceleration the check engine light came and stayed on. After reviewing here how to retrieve the error code It was returning 71,72,73,74,75,76. I checked in the service manual and this is a misfire detected on each cylinder.

After talking to Comptech they say they have seen this before and it was a problem with the spark plug gap being too large. They also wanted to check the ground & fuel pressure. I haven't had a chance to check any of the above items yet.

If anyone on this forum has experienced something similiar or has any ideas as to what else I might check I would be very greatful.

Thanks in advance.

It is not unusual to have to change the spark plug gap on a forced-induction engine. I would definately check the fuel situation, though - just to be sure. You might want to put it on a dyno with a sniffer and they can tell you if you are running an incorrect mixture (a sure sign of a fuel delivery problem) under hard acceleration. They last thing in the world you want to do is lean it out under acceleration. It is a great way to hole a piston. A dyno pull should be $50 - $80 bucks if you keep it simple.

A recent batch of c/t superchargers seemed to have a problem with the mount point for EGR plumbing that resulted in a check engine warning. One of the local NSX-NW members experienced the check engine issue (had his s/c done in a group including mine). Mine had to have the EGR plumbing attachment fixed as a precautionary measure to avoid the same issue...

Not sure if that's what you experienced. Try dynoing the car with the air/fuel ratio sensor in place to make sure you're not running too lean anywhere...

--twc

P.S. How does one do an at-the-wheels dyno of a 4wd porsche?

Wow, I am impressed with the comment that it feels equally as fast as or faster than a 993 twin turbo. That particular Porsche would be the only car I would rather have than my NSX, although I have never driven one. I am running all of the bolt ons and NOS on my 91, are the 97+ supercharged cars that strong? Very impressive.

------------------
Jason

Yes, a 97+ with s/c can be that strong. I've got a s/c 99 coupe (zanardi) with no other mods and the power-to-weight ratio is better than a 993 or 996 turbo. Targas are a bit heavier and more softly sprung, so you'll have to recalculate the numbers for one of those...

--twc

Oh yes, believe it! I have a '94 with the high boost optioned CT SC, and I was walking away from a '97 993TT, as well as a couple of pesky Vipers at the Texas Motor Speedway the weekend before last!

Originally posted by Jason Weaver:
Wow, I am impressed with the comment that it feels equally as fast as or faster than a 993 twin turbo. That particular Porsche would be the only car I would rather have than my NSX, although I have never driven one. I am running all of the bolt ons and NOS on my 91, are the 97+ supercharged cars that strong? Very impressive.

NSXTC,

I don't have the high boost kit, but I do have a s/c with short gears and a short ring and pinion (which should make our cars ROUGHLY equal). I doubt my NSX would walk away from a 993TT, and am certain it wouldn't walk away from a Viper. You must have had exceptional exit speeds onto the straights, or the Porsche and Viper were not pushing full throttle.

------------------
Red (w/ red top) '91. Comptech Supercharger. RM headers. Comptech exhaust. Short ratio gears. Ring and pinion swap. RM racing suspension. 18/17 wheels/tires.

'98 Viper GTS. Red with no stripes. Stock.

David

Thanks for the advice, I am going to have the car dynoed, as soon as the weather allows me to take the car out. I will not get on it until I make sure I am not running the car too lean.

Number9

Glad to hear that someone else had this problem and got it resolved relatively easily. What is the EGR plumbing attachment that you mention? Is this supplied by Comptech?

I have not dynoed my 993TT, I talked to a guy in Texas that does mods for them and he had access to a dyno that could handle them though.

To everyone
I am not sure that my NSX is as fast or faster than the Porsche, I know for certain that it would not "walk away" from the Porsche. I feel the NSX is a better car, much better fit and finish and all around performance. The Porsche is a little too jumpy when pushed around less than perfect corners. (Real world, on the street)

I am impressed with the comment that it feels equally as fast as or faster than a 993 twin turbo. That particular Porsche would be the only car I would rather have than my NSX, although I have never driven one.

Obviously. Try driving one. And don't be surprised if you then find that you no longer rather have one than your NSX...
smile.gif

Yeah drive one before you say that! I know if you're pushing as much HP and TQ as my NSX, Twin Turbo 95' then you would DEFF. be faster. My car was stock except the Turbos. I had a blown motor, #2 was missing!
wink.gif
and I ran a 12.3 on street tires. Looking to run mid 11's this spring!

Robert

Back