• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Concorso 09

Coz

Legendary Member
Yup we'll be discussing this and other events for that week at our next chapter meeting in the Bay Area.

Cool....
Looking forward to seeing those that go.
Last year brought a lot of NSX owners out with their cars.
I will bringing one this year, maybe 2 :)

I'm there with the DeTomaso owners as well.

Yes, I got the update breifing as well, it's being moved back onto the grass with trees and a park like setting.

This is really great news considering last year wasn't that great at the airport.

After last year, I don't think I'll be going to another one of these. Parking on an old airport for $100.00+, I'll pass. Keep in mind last year was suppose to be in Pebble Beach on the grass. Right, at the last minute they changed it to the airport and did not offer refund or discount.

Got this as an update today:

Broadcast-Release Progress

A letter from Tom McDowell & Concorso Italiano

New Location Identified
Another week has gone by and I wanted to update you on the progress of our hunt for, and securing of, the proper venue for the event.

Good communication between us will go a long way towards rebuilding and maintaining the enthusiasm Concorso Italiano once commanded within the Italian car community.

It has not been easy, but we have zeroed in on a location that should be very workable.
It is a well known golf course, well located, with excellent access, terrific on-site parking for spectators, and in a very sunny area of Monterey. The golf course management and I have agreed on the terms and we are in the process of "inking the deal". As you might guess, a venue of this caliber is considerably more expensive than in prior years, but we are holding the line on ticket prices. I should have a confirmation before the end of this week if not sooner. This is sensational news.

Your letters and responses
The wave of emails and phone calls I received from you continue to impress and humble me. I also appreciate the time you took to respond to my request for suggestions. A great percentage of the responses were very supportive, informative and helpful. I really want to find out what you, the enthusiast, wants to see in the event, and I got an earful. Many of your suggestions will be implemented. Please keep them coming. Following are some samples:

"The cars are the first consideration, of course, but a diamond is most beautiful in the right setting."
C.B. San Jose, CA

"Anything you can do to recreate the magic Concorso once held is most welcome."
E.R. San Francisco, CA
(Maserati)

"Provide more spectator seating in different areas to allow casual picnicking and watching of the activities."
D.T. Pasadena, CA

"The personalities are certainly a major part of this event, but regarding the cars themselves, my primary suggestion to you would be to make a concerted effort to bring out more of the older cars and of course their owners."
D.B. Vista, CA
(Ferrari)
"The most important thing for us has always been the relaxing and inspiring atmosphere created by a mix of good food, friendly service, wonderful cars and beautiful surroundings."
R.M. Auburn, CA
(Porsche)

"Easy ingress and egress in and out of the event: Exhibitors should have a separate route in, COMPLETELY separated from the spectator route to the show."
G.R. San Jose, CA
(Pantera)

"Do not "over hype" the event with gold class this and premium that; we are car enthusiasts and don't need to be marketed into economic and social classes; sincerity and true love of cars and their owners rather than status and airs. Understand rather that overstated."
R.V. Los Angeles, CA
(Ferrari)

"This is a fine red wine group who want to talk speed and fire up their engines for an admiring enthusiast. Beautiful models, Italian cars and special guests make you feel like you are in Italy just that much more."
S.Z. Danville, CA
(Porsche)

I will try to update you again next week.

I look forward to meeting, talking with, and/or corresponding with each and every one of you.
Best regards,
Tom McDowell
Mercer Island, WA

Got this today:

For Immediate Release – March 18, 2009
[email protected]
CONCORSO ITALIANO® RETURNS TO THE FAIRWAYS
LAGUNA SECA GOLF RANCH, MONTEREY BAY - Concorso Italiano®, the Celebration of Italian Style™ is pleased to announce our spectacular new venue. Now led by Tom McDowell, Concorso’s rich 24-year tradition as a leading participant in the festival of automobiles in the Monterey Peninsula will restore the tradition of prior years and continue to be a destination for those passionate about Italian lifestyle, and most importantly, Italian automobiles.
The 2009 event will offer new features amidst the beautiful settings of Laguna Seca Golf Ranch (www.lagunasecagolf.com), crafted by Robert Trent Jones Senior and Junior. The Ranch is nestled among the oak-studded hillsides of Monterey, providing breathtaking views of gorgeous Central Coast landscapes. While you take in this new setting, you will also find yourself enjoying an enhanced food experience at a reasonable price, exceptional wine, music, special Italian guest commentaries, fashion and other scheduled entertainment.

Exhibitors and Vendors will be delighted to know they will have their own special entrance route to the golf course. This arrangement keeps them separated from the incoming spectator traffic.
Concorso Italiano® is family, it is not pretentious as it is engaging, it is not as much “watch me” as it is “sit and enjoy some time with me”. Concorso is the place where people want to enjoy and be around friends and passionate people who love life in its entirety. With that said, listen to one participants experience at Concorso Italiano® a few years ago:

“Friday morning comes early, but the butterflies of anticipation are already swirling. As we arrive, the visual pop of the bright cars grabs your attention first. You have entered a different time and place. This is not normal, and you are part of it. As you enter the main drag, you lower your window to hear the concert of engine exhausts, and without exception, goose bumps shriek up your arms. Pulling your car onto a golf course is not a daily event for most of us, and we have spent considerable effort preparing our cars, because this is not just a local car show. The people who will be enjoying your automobile are true enthusiasts. They are educated and appreciative of what is on display. This only happened once a year, and it is happening today.” S.Z. Dansville, CA (Porsche).
Join the fun and be a part of this special day.

Visit www.concorso.com where you can find additional information, purchase Spectator Tickets or register a vehicle for display.

Spectator tickets are $85 until May 31. Children 12 and under are free. Complementary on-site parking (No Bussing).
We will be announcing our features very soon.

Admission Tickets
• $85 through May 31
• $100 June 1 - August 14
• Children 12 and under are free when accompanied by a paying adult.
Includes:
• One Admission Ticket
• Complimentary On-site Parking
• Event Goody Bag
• Collector's Magazine (while supplies last)
Food will be available throughout the event

Italian Vehicle
•$125 through May 31
•$175 June 1 - August 13
Includes:
• Entrance for your registered vehicle
• Entry for two vehicle occupants as the vehicle enters the event
• Two Vouchers for the Italian Vehicle Hospitality Pavilion
• Event Goody Bag per person
• Collector's Magazine per person (while supplies last)
*all other guests or handlers in your party must purchase an additional admission ticket

Non-Italian Vehicle
•$175 through May 31
•$225 June 1 - August 13v
Includes:
• Two Vouchers for the Non-Italian Vehicle Hospitality Pavilion
*all other guests or handlers in your party must purchase an additional admission ticket

Another update, prices were lowered.

Laguna Seca Golf Ranch - Monterey, CA
August 14th, 2009 . 9:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

CONCORSO ITALIANO® REDUCES PRICES DURING ECONOMIC DOWNTURN
A couple of weeks ago we asked for suggestions and comments from you, the enthusiast, about the Concorso®. The response has been very supportive and instructive—and it keeps coming. We want you to know we are listening.
We’ve moved the venue to a beautiful golf course (The Laguna Seca Golf Ranch). We are upgrading food and beverage options, and on the other end of the spectrum, we are upgrading the lavatories. We are also working with some very special guests and features. As you might imagine, this restoration process is not without substantial cost.
We want you to know that our aim is to provide the best event experience possible at a fair price. We are therefore lowering the registration fees for the Exhibitors. Remember these reduced fees include entry for the driver and a passenger to enter the show.
Italian cars will be reduced to $100 from $125 advance through May 31st, and then $150 after May 31st. This is down from $175.
The registration price for non-Italian cars will be reduced to $150 from $175 through May 31st, and then $200, down from $225 thereafter.

Again, we are listening and want to let you know we “get it”.
All of these prices are lower than in recent years. Lowering prices is unheard of on the Monterey weekend. Let’s hope other events, and especially hotels, will follow our lead and reduce prices accordingly.
Friends, I know this is not a lot of money, but every little bit helps and we hope you will feel some respect has been imparted to you, our loyal exhibitors.
Please keep sending your comments and suggestions. Remember we are listening.
Ciao,
Tom McDowell

Last edited:
I plan on going, and exhibiting my blue NSX, at both. One morning and one afternoon (haven't decided which order yet).

Chip

I had a long discussion with Tom and Frank today who are the owners and producers of Concorso.

Tom, the President of Concorso has agreed to do a couple things for us as a NSX group for those that go.

First, the NSX corral will be closer to the center of all the corrals, in other words, I have arranged for the NSX's to be more in the thick of things rather than out the outskirts. We’ll show those Ferrari and Lamborghini boys…

Second, the entry fee of $150.00, yes, I know, $50.00 more than last year, will stay the same for us throughout the registration time frames.

I plan on bringing at least 1 of my NSX's, maybe 2, and a DeTomaso Pantera.

I asked Tom to place the NSX's close as possible to the DeTomaso corral. The reason being, I am the event coordinator for Pantera International and will be directing the DeTomaso corral set up, show, judging and whatever else goes on for the DeTomaso group.

It is the 50th anniversary for DeTomaso, and DeTomaso will be featured at this years Concorso because of it's 50th anniversary this year.

So there will a lot going on at the DeTomaso corral throughout the day.

I thought it would be nice to have the NSX's close by so we can share each others company, cars and enjoy the day together. Many of the DeTomaso owners are also big fans of the NSX as I have found out owning both.

I have also been asked by Tom and Frank to help with various other area's of Concorso this year. There are so many new things planned this year, it's really going to be a great time for all……..And...we're back on the grass :)

Tom sent me this letter today to welcome the NSX community. Tom is a Big Fan of the NSX.

I hope all of those that can, will come out and join us.

Attachments

• Cone 0 rso33A.jpg
    Cone 0 rso33A.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Can we start a head count of interested parties?

The only concern I have is that during the last 4 years I have noticed a downturn in cars, especially in the corral.

I'm curious if this trend is will drop sharply with this economy to the point where it's an event that can be finished in 1 hour as oppose to half a day...

I will be there.

I talked to Tom yesterday, sign up for other corrals are going strong.

NSX sign ups are going good....
So far we have over a dozen.

I plan on going, and exhibiting my blue NSX, at both. One morning and one afternoon (haven't decided which order yet).

Chip

La Dolce Vita has changed their policy to have people only arrive at the beginning of the day and leave at the end of the day, so exhibiting at both shows is now out. So my friend and I will just be going to the Concorso Italiano. I look forward to seeing some other NSX folks there.

By the way, for any of you who will be in town Saturday evening but not Sunday, I recommend going down to the concept lawn at Pebble Beach. About half the cars are usually there the evening before, and you can go see them even though you are not going to the Concours the next day (and with less of a crowd too).

Chip

Last edited:
I would like to sign up. We have done ALMS and Festival Of Speed. I look forward to another road trip. What do I do?

Last edited:
Early Bird Pricing to Close June 30th

This is a quick reminder that the last day for Concorso Italiano’s early bird pricing is Tuesday, June 30th. We urge you to visit www.concorso.com to take advantage of the special prices before they change.
The following features are only a portion of the special experience that awaits you on the lovely lawns of Laguna Seca Golf Ranch on Friday, August 14th:

• DeTomaso, the 50th Anniversary
• Ferrari 288GTO, the 25th Anniversary and the largest ever
gathering of this Ferrari supercar
• Tom Tjaarda, the legendary designer and his latest concepts
• Valentino Balboni, renowned Lamborghini test driver
• Lilli Bertone and Michael Robinson of Bertone Cento
• Matteo and Luca Fioravanti of Fioravanti SRL, creator of the 288GTO
• Many exciting cars in the Concorso Centerpiece Display including:
o Elvis Presley’s famous Pantera, with the bullet hole intact
o The Tjaarda special Pantera
o The famous Bertone-designed BAT 11
o The 1955 Ghia Gilda Coupe Concept
o As mentioned, the largest ever gathering of the 288GTO
• A cornucopia of culinary delights
• Sun, heat, and the summer weather you expect
• On site parking, with NO BUSING
• Fashion, music, and the full restoration of a legendary event
• A special award ceremony to honor Jay Leno, car collector and
entertainer
If you are looking for raw energy, and a sea of bright colors join us at Concorso Italiano for the annual celebration of Italian style. If you want solitude, there are probably a few city parks where you can convene.
The party is at Laguna Seca Golf Ranch on Friday, dont miss it.

Admission Tickets
• $85 through June 30
• $100 July 1 - August 14
• Children 12 and under are free
when accompanied by a paying adult.
Includes:
• One Admission Ticket
• Complimentary On-site Parking
• Event Goody Bag
• Collector's Magazine
(while supplies last)
Food will be available
throughout the event!

Italian Vehicle
•$100 through June 30
•$150 July 1 - August 13
Includes:
• Two Vouchers for the Italian Vehicle Hospitality Pavilion

Italian Motorcycles
• $75 through August 13
Includes:
• Entrance for your registered
motorcycle and yourself into the event
• One voucher for the Ducati Hospitality Pavilion
• One Event Goodie Bag
• Collector's Magazine (while supplies last)
• An additional ticket is available at a discounted rate of $25 for Motorcycle passengers (limit 1)

*all other guests or handlers in your party must purchase an additional admission ticket at full price.

Non-Italian Vehicle
•$150 through June 30
•$200 July 1 - August 13
Includes:
• Two Vouchers for the Non-Italian Vehicle Hospitality Pavilion

Back