• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Considering buying used 1993 NSX, need advice...

Hi everyone - I have been reading this board for a while, but never posted before. I have a question that I hope you knowledgeable folks can help me out with:

...two days ago, I went to check out a NSX being offered for sale. It was a 1993 model, 30,000 miles on the odometer, and asking price was $36,000. The car was in beautiful, excellent condition - very nicely polished and clean (inside and outside), and no visible dents or scratches at all. The only drawbacks were that it was due for the 30,000 mile major service, and the rear tires were bald and in need of replacement. Good thing I still needed to apply for a loan, or else I would've caved in and bought the car right there.

My question is this - how does reliability and scheduled maintenance look like for a 1993 NSX? The owner gave me some details about it, but I don't recall everything he said all that well. Also, if something were to break - say the clutch, tranny, or some other major component - would the repair costs be stratospheric? I'm guessing they would be pretty high, but does anyone have any specific figures from personal experience?

The other car I am seriously considering is a 2001/2002 BMW 325Ci. Does anyone know how maintenance/repair costs for the NSX might compare to those for the 325Ci? The 325Ci maintenance and repairs will be covered for some period by the dealer, but I drive a good deal (~30,000 miles per year) and will use that up quickly. I realize that this is a NSX board, and do not expect most to know too much about 325Ci maintenance/repair costs, but any sort of general comparison at all would be helpful.

Thanks a million for any advice you can provide me.

The only drawbacks were that it was due for the 30,000 mile major service

Which should cost around $700

and the rear tires were bald and in need of replacement

plus another $400 for the great-handling OEM tires.

how does reliability and scheduled maintenance look like for a 1993 NSX?

Scheduled maintenance is similar to most other cars. You can look up the schedule and typical costs in the FAQ here.

The NSX is a very reliable car, but things do occasionally break down. A clutch replacement can run $2K (clutches last anywhere from 20K to 100K miles, depending mostly on how it's used). Air conditioning repairs can also be expensive, $2K or more.

cyberx,

You can see the FAQ for details of 91-93 NSX's problems, but the most common one:
-Snap ring that holds the countershaft.
-Window regulator plastic thingy
-A/C evaporators
-Bose speaker amp
-ABS pump

You can basically write-off the first two if you do your work. There is a range of cars that affected by Snap-Ring, see FAQ. For the second problem, you can replace the plastic thingy with the aluminum one from Dali Racing to prevent the window regulator to self-destruct. See FAQ if you want the details. But for 8/10 years old cars, early year NSXs are one of the most reliable cars out there. The engine is nearly bulletproof.

I had a 1991 BMW 850i and I spent close to $20,000 to keep it running for two years I owned it. I have had two '91 NSXs since, and the only non-wear/non-performance items I replaced is the Bose door speaker/amps for one of the car. Private me if you want the problems with the BMTroubleU.

I thought that BMWs are better since. But unfortunately that's not the case. I have friends that drives/drove them: 95 M3, 97 M3, 97 540i, 95 740i, and a bunch of 3 series . All of them are junks. The 97 M3 had about 68,000 miles when it burnt about 2 quartz of oils every 2,500 miles. The 95 M3 burst its waterpump prematurely, and hence its radiator at around 40,000 miles. The 95 740i has a new ENGINE now with about 70,000 miles. If you decide with the BMW, I sincerely wish you good luck.

[This message has been edited by NSX2F1 (edited 27 September 2001).]

cyberx beware,i just purchased '92 service schedule says at 72 months you need to replace timming belt and water pump as well,my dealer charged me about $2500 to do that w/ 60k routine.

Thanks a lot for the info. The FAQs were very helpful.

One more (probably lame) question - do very many folks use their NSX as a daily driver? I probably won't be doing that, but there is a slight chance of it, so I'm wondering how many people do so.

Thanks again for the advice.

I use my car as a daily driver and have not had any major problems. I had Mark Basch replace the timing belt/water pump at about 30k also. I purchased a 93 with 18k on it and it now has 35k 1 year later. This also includes quite a bit of mods the biggest being an SC. I think the less you modify the better reliability. But I just can leave good enough alone...

Ken

You can see the FAQ for details of 91-93 NSX's problems, but the most common one:
-Snap ring that holds the countershaft.

The snap ring problem only affects some of the '91-92 NSX, not the '93.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 27 September 2001).]

do very many folks use their NSX as a daily driver?

We've talked about this before, here, here, and here.

Don't forget that, in addition to the FAQ, you have the ability to search previous posts on the forums.

Thanks again.

I checked out the 3 previous discussions regarding using the NSX as a daily driver. Very informative. I don't think I'll be doing that, as I commute 100 miles roundtrip every weekday, but I was just curious.

I currently drive a 4-cylinder family sedan that gets good gas mileage and is very unassuming and cheap to operate, so I'll probably just daily drive that until it falls apart.

It is amazing (to me at least), however, that so many NSX owners use it as a daily driver.

Originally posted by Forums Nazi:

We've talked about this before, ...

Don't forget that, in addition to the FAQ, you have the ability to search previous posts on the forums.

Hey what's up? I thought you were no more? You just playin with me?

Hey,

I just bought an NSX today. I think it's the same car. Actually I am 99% sure.

But there is another one for sale close by black 92 30K miles too. Check Yahoo Classified.

jimshih -

Judging by your location (Santa Clara), it probably is the same car. I'm in San Jose. If it's from the guy in Redwood City, then congratulations - it's an absolutely beautiful car, and obviously very well taken care of. Darn, I was still thinking about buying it, too. =)

I also saw the black one for sale in Foster City. I e-mailed the guy a while back but didn't get a response. It's a 1992 and costs $38K ($2K more than the one you bought), right?

BTW, would you mind if I asked you how much you paid for yours? Did you pay the $36K asking price? (assuming it's the same one) I'm just curious, because I was originally thinking about trying to negotiate down to $35K or $34K (due to the immediate need for a 30K service and new rear tires).

Anyway, congratulations again on your purchase. Guess now I'll have to keep my eyes open for another one.

I got it for $33.5K. Killer deal I think.
The black one is nice too. Condition around the same.

The owner of the black car just put new SSR and tires so his price is a bit firm. But I think $36K might be possible.

To be fair to the bimmer side of the story, the 850i was pretty much an anamoly when it came to reliability (It was a VERY complex car). Aside from a few well-known problems (water pumps with plastic impellers that failed), the 3 and 5 series BMWs are pretty reliable. I had a '94 325 that I owned for 4 years and spent a total of <$1000 on maintenance (incl 60K service and tires). It was bullet-proof (esp. the engine). I also have a '85 535i with 215K miles on it. I've been driving it for a year and have done NOTHING to it (no oil changes, nothing) and it just keeps plodding along.

On the other hand, none of my BMWs compare to the driving experience of my NSX, which has become my daily driver...

jimshih -

Wow, $33.5K is indeed a killer deal. You got a steal on that one. Now I wish I'd made the seller an offer of $34K.

Have you seen the black one, and if so, when? You're saying that it is also in very good condition? I'm wondering if it's still available. If it is, I'll probably check it out. I don't think I'd pay $38K for it, though.

Thanks for the info, and hope you enjoy the car.

I looked at the black NSX last Thursday so the 20th I think.

It's in very good shape inside and out. Perfect also. No dings or dents with perfect paint.

minus the cost of new wheels and tires which the owner said costed him $2400 the car is around $36K.

From talking to the owner I know he won't go down much and he's not in a hurry to sell so I didn't make him an offer because for $38K I would probably pay a bit more and get a newer year car.

jimshih -

Thanks for the info. I spoke to the owner of the black NSX earlier today, and arranged to take a look at it tomorrow. From your posts, I have an idea of what to expect.

The most important thing I want to check is if it is in the snap ring failure range. Part of the reason I liked the 1993 one was because that wasn't an issue with that year.

One thing about the black NSX somewhat bugged me, though - the owner didn't seem to know all that much about the car. I asked him briefly about the snap ring failure issue, and he didn't seem to know what I was referring to. He also told me the rear tires would last 20K miles, which seems awefully high compared to what I've heard from others. I don't want to judge prematurely, but those are just my initial thoughts.

Thanks for the information. Sorry to keep asking you so many questions. I do appreciate the feedback.

Take care.

The most important thing I want to check is if it is in the snap ring failure range. Part of the reason I liked the 1993 one was because that wasn't an issue with that year.

Most of the '92's are in the snap ring failure range. Most of the '91's are not in the snap ring failure range. The chances that a given USDM '91 is in the snap ring failure range are greater if the VIN is approximately 002700 or higher.

As I'm sure you know, you can only tell for sure by looking at the transmission ID to see whether it's J4A4-1003542 through J4A4-1005978.

Back