• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Convert AC to new gas ?

just convert to the newer R134a it will make your compressor last longer the old r-12 ran at a much high pressure than the newer stuff. it cost 89 bucks to do a conversion to the newer R134a

vs $$$$$$XXXXXX.XX for the old freon

Actually R134 runs at a higher head pressure than R12. You'll notice the newer orings are much more durable than the earlier.

I had it backwards LOL but you need less gas to fill it is what I was getting at. sorry

R12 can be purchased on ebay.

Considering that the system was designed for R12, I would just fill with more if possible. If you have a leak, fix it.

In order to convert to r134a you would need to flush the entire system to remove all the old oil, add new r134a compatible oil, replace the drier, get new fittings, plus determine where your system was leaking from and fix it. And it will still not cool as efficiently as R12.

I did the R134A conversion to my '91 in 1995... was cheap... has been fine ever since.

1991 NSX Air Con problem - London UK owner

Can anyone suggest where I could find or order an adapter that will fit on my AC service valve so that my AC can be re- gassed using a R12 substitute . My guy who has the gas cannot fit any of his adapters on to the NSX valve which is much smaller than anything he has , the adapter must also have an internal pin to open the service valve.

I have made a few enquiries regarding changing over to R134A but I have been quoted £350/£500 for the work to be done and obviously much less ( £75 )for compatible gas but I have to find the valve adapter.

Any suggestions?
Man Drake

Thanks, my guy has a whole bunch of adapters but not one for my 1991 NSX , he say's the NSX service valve is much smaller than anything he has come accross before??

Do you know if there is a part or size ref? I could try ebay but I would have no way of knowing if I was ordering the right thing , until it arrived.

Man Drake

Back