• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Converting the speedometer and odometer back to Miles from Kilometers

I bought a NSX that was originally a USA car, but was converted to KPH when it was imported into Canada. Can someone tell me the process for converting the car back to MPH. Also since the odometer is now in KM won't I have to take it to a special place to have this done?

I bought a NSX that was originally a USA car, but was converted to KPH when it was imported into Canada. Can someone tell me the process for converting the car back to MPH. Also since the odometer is now in KM won't I have to take it to a special place to have this done?

You and I can swap clusters! :)

I have a US cluster car that I want to convert to Kms, only catch is I need one that's for an automatic transmission.

My 1991 car here in Canada has 48000 miles on it. What does your kms read?

Hey maxgeek, what year is your car? Ive got a 98 and just got a 2002 cluster that im going to swap in mine. The odometer and speedometer are all removable within the cluster so if you can find those items, you'll be ok, you might have to adjust the pot trimmer on top of the cluster. Ill be starting a thread here pretty soon when i have time with full pics cause ill be doing that swap, from miles to km's so i may have what you need. Im not altering the milage on the car so i will be trying to figure out how to advance the odometer that i have with 77xxx km's to 115000 km's and then get acura to document it with a transport canada sticker to prove im not falsifying milage. I currently have a 02 cluster with 10000 miles on it, and my car has 80000 miles.

My car is a 2002 with 4x,xxx kilometers on it. I'm not sure I want to trade with anyone at the moment. I'm still in the process of getting my car home. I was hoping I could just take it somewhere and pay to get it done.

I'm not sure if I have heard anyone doing a swap with the odometer correction, but if you find someone, that's awesome. So you have a 2002? That's the same cluster i have but in miles.

I understand the speedometer change only involves changing the speedo face from km to miles as the needle position doesn't change, it's the numbers underneath the needle that are different.
The odometer and odometer trip modules look to be the two electro/mechanical parts to be changed in a conversion.
As you need to take the whole guage cluster out to do the speedo face anyway changing the modules should be reasonably straightforward.

What I'm not certain about is how you change the odometer numbers from a mileage number to a km number or vice versa.

If I were doing this I'd talk to the service manger at my local dealer and have him note the km or mileage reading on the car and tell him I was next going to remove the guage cluster myself.
I think the service manager knows it's a very labour intensive project to do this and would understand you doing it yourself to save significant dollars.

After removal, I'd bring the cluster with the two different used odometer modules (it looks like new parts are discontinued) back to the service manager and ask him to change the reading on the odometer to the correct new km or mileage numbers, install the modules in the cluster, and record the change with some jpegs and a letter.
I'd then reinstall the guage cluster back home.

Now you should have a location correct speedo/odometer and a dealer certified odometer change to keep the provenance of the car intact.

if trading clusters you will now have 2 cars that miles are not true.

and re-sale will be effected since you cant prove the miles are correct

example drive around with the old cluster, buy/trade for a lower mile one drive around for a few years swap back before selling the car, those years with the other cluster are never known. not cool

The odometer itself has 6 leads that come to the motor via the connector? Why? I'm not sure myself and neither is the dealer. I think its a deterrent so no one messes with the milage. I'm doing exactly what jd cross said but I'm going to figure out how to add km's to my odometer so milage will be true. It will take me a bit to figure it out but it will be documented with pictures and certification from Acura and a final sticker from transport Canada stating that the mileage has not been tampered. Now the tricky part is going to be on how to add milage to the odometer. A USA spec. Odometer has green gears and the Canadian spec. Is blue. One has larger gears which slows the revolutions, and that's the difference between the two.

Last edited:
Speaking from personal experience.

On a previous JDM NSX that had 180kph speedo, I wanted a 280kph speedo so I purchased the US speedo face plate that had mph and kph. Then I removed the needle by placing the assembly in a vice and gently pulling the needle upwards, it come out rather easily. I then removed the old face plate, installed the new mph face plate and reassembled the needle gentle back into the assembly.

I then installed one of these under the dash, it has 3 wires, positive, earth and signal. I tracked down the signal wire going to the cluster and intercepted it with the units signal wire:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-SPE...P-/370221451456?ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:GB:1123

Then I used the GPS speed on my phone and drive camera to calibrate the unit by simply driving down the road with the plastic face plate removed and the system installed. I adjusted the needle at increments of 20kph up to 140kph. Its bang on perfect.

Then reassembled and very happy with the results. 280kph speedo at a fraction of the price.

Cheers

Back