• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Cool, I Was Involved In A High Speed Chase!!!

It was yesterday (on my Birthday I might add!), I was on the service Rd. beside MacArthur Dr. in front of Alpine Auto Sales getting ready to go onto MacArthur Dr.
As I was waiting to enter MacArthur I was watching a black Miata on the other side of MacArthur going the other way. As I was watching I noticed it locked up its brakes and slam into the car ahead of it as they were all slowing down for the redlight. First thought was "Cool" because I finally got to see an accident from start to finish, not from the sound of the impact like usual. Second thought was do they need me as a witness?, No cause it was pretty clear what happen. I watch them pull onto the shoulder. I looked over one last time and "Holy Shit" the Miata was fleeing the scene! So I bust a U-turn and go back to Bayou Rapides and hang a left and take chase. My damn cell phones battery was dead so it had turned itself completly off but I had just put it on the cars charger. I grabbed it and attempted to power it up so I could call 911. The damn phone takes like 30 freaking seconds to activate turn on. Finally I get 911 on the phone and after being transferred I end up relaying street corners to the operator. The chase started on Bayou Rapides headed towards Bolton ( BTW, I was in a 4cly S10 5SP truck, no power!) We went down a lil ways like to that day care I think and he busted a right into the neighborhood and was blowing though stop signs and driving dangeroulsy near people. I at the same time was haveing to California stop at stop signs so I didn't get into an accident and had to be very careful around people outside so I didn't become the Villain! At the same time I'm trying to relay info to the cops and drive that no power S freaking 10! finally the APD unit comes out of nowhere and BLOWS by me and takes over pursuit, so I tell 911 my job here is done. But before I get off the phone I look down the street and yell at the operater " Holy Shit" Thier coming back and RIGHT AT ME! I drive up onto somebodys grass because he driving like 100 mph down the middle of the road straight at me! I went back to the scene of the accident and filled out a report and was thanked by the Police for helping and then went on my way. Cool Huh?

If no one was hurt I would have just tried to id the vehicle and then relay that info to the police. You chasing the car may have caused him to panic and run and endanger innocent people. If you just let him go maybe once he thought he got away he would have just drove regular and safely. Would it have been cool if he killed someone trying to get away from you or hitting you head on and us prime members reading about your death ?

If no one was hurt I would have just tried to id the vehicle and then relay that info to the police. You chasing the car may have caused him to panic and run and endanger innocent people. If you just let him go maybe once he thought he got away he would have just drove regular and safely. Would it have been cool if he killed someone trying to get away from you or hitting you head on and us prime members reading about your death ?

I agree with Acura NsX Pilot.

It's good to see you helped.....but when I was reading your story, mid way, I was also thinking....why didn't he just get the license plate number and then go back to the scene of the accident.

Glad no one was hurt.

Don't know if you should have chased him or not but great job on getting his ass caught :biggrin:

yeah ya really think his plate number was legit? not stollen?...

while crazy to do, i dont think getting the plate number would have helped
here..
good job

LOL. Its the Forum Police, you know, the KNOW IT ALLS!! Its funny THE ACTUAL Police thinks how it played out was perfect and thanked me for it. Not to mention I was on the phone with 911 and was never told to back off! And I did try to get the plate and didn't succeed until about halfway through. Our particular portion of the chase was very civilized because I did stay way back in the begining. It was my intention not to let him know I was behind him but just to follow him until the Police took over. So his decision on his speed had nothing to do with me untill the end just a minute or so before the Police took over, but thanks for the concern for the citizens of Alexandria! I'm sure the victims of the Hit & Run may have a different opinion though, as do the Police!
If you read the post, I say that I was Cali stopping and such which shows I was pretty far behind him. He didn't even know he was being followed. True, in my younger days I would have gotten caught up in the moment and handled it differently, but instead I kept my composure and helped the situation!

LOL. Its the Forum Police, you know, the KNOW IT ALLS!!

Hah..... I bet if someone here was the victim of the Miata's crime that they would have appreciated your actions.

Good job McGruff. :smile:

Yeah...I think I would have just shot him at the scene and not chased him either.

I would've done the same thing. Or would like to think I would've done it same anyway.

Good job, Greg. I'm sure the victim is very appreciative of your efforts.

I would've done the same thing. Or would like to think I would've done it same anyway.

Good job, Greg. I'm sure the victim is very appreciative of your efforts.
I know I sure would have been. When I was young I rolled an rx7 because someone cut me off. The person who cut me off fled the scene. I learned a very important lesson that day. Don't owe money on a car that you have only liability insurance on. I made payments on a dead horse for years.:frown:

What, no Pit? :biggrin:

200px-Pit_maneuver.svg.png

Good job Greg.

Lauderdale woman dragged for miles, killed after confronting hit-run driver.

By Brian Haas
Sun-Sentinel.com
Posted June 4 2007, 9:49 AM EDT

NORTH LAUDERDALE – A 44-year-old woman was struck by a van, dragged several miles and then left dead on the road Sunday night after she tried to confront a hit-and-run driver.

Detectives fanned out across Broward County into Monday morning, looking for a newer-model white van with a possible partial license plate of "C72", said Mike Jachles, spokesman for the Broward Sheriff's Office. He said that even detectives were stunned by the barbarity of the woman's death...

Regarding Comtec's post:
So does anyone here know if there is a technique for the target car to avoid a spinout? Because it seems to me that in this situation, turning the wheels to the right would give you the best chance of countering being pushed sideways like that.
I don't intend to flee the plolice, mind you. Just wondering in the name of science.

Regarding Comtec's post:
So does anyone here know if there is a technique for the target car to avoid a spinout? Because it seems to me that in this situation, turning the wheels to the right would give you the best chance of countering being pushed sideways like that.
I don't intend to flee the plolice, mind you. Just wondering in the name of science.

I once saw an episode of a bank robber who kept avoiding spinning out from the PIT. After he was caught it was found out he was a police officer and had all the proper training to avoid such.

I also wonder if had someone here knew someone that was killed because of such an action would still feel the same way. My brother was car jacked serveral years ago and I would have loved to have chased down the perpertrators but in the end insurance paid for the car and no one was hurt.

You did what you felt was right in the heat of the moment. Whether it was the right/wrong thing in hindsight doesn't matter... it was courageous and certainly more interesting than my day at work. :D

You seem to be living quite an exciting life lately, I just read about your 928 and now this!! WOW:eek: :biggrin:

Excellent Job GREG....Yes, as a cop I can agree you did good.

FYI, getting the tag isn't usually enough. Tags are often stolen or it simply comes back to another vehicle entirely, that's not reported stolen. Other times there is simply no record found (mysteriously:rolleyes: ). I don't think Greg recklessly endangered anyone. If a cop witnessed this incident, he would have chased this jerk down as well.

Also, at least here in Florida, if you witness a felony in progress, as a citizen, you are required by law to prevent the crime to occur. Granted this is a ridiculous law as most people are not going to put themselves in harm's way just because the law tells them to, otherwise, they would have gotten a badge and a gun; the law states that you must make SOME effort. Sadly in some urban areas, people just look the other way when they see someone victimized.

You did a great job Greg, I think the victim of the accident should buy you lunch :biggrin:

Back