• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Coolant Temps Above Normal on 100+ Degree SUMMER days! CTSC

Hey guys,

looking to get the general data on what you guys are seeing from your coolant temps relative to the ambient air temp. ON a typical day, 85 or below, the coolant temp while the engine is running seems to be exact, dead on "normal" operating temp on the coolant gauge.
The other day I was in and out of traffic, air temp outside was about 100, and the coolant temp on my gauge was about 1-1.5 marks from the HOT. Never once climbed past that, just maintained there. Later that evening, (Temps below 90) I tried to duplicate the temp I was reading earlier when it was hotter outside, couldn't get it to budge past the "Normal" operating temp... Fan is working, no air in the coolant, WP/TB done a few months ago.

Anyone else experience an "above" normal coolant temp when its 90-100+ degrees outside?

That seems hot. 2-3 ticks from HOT was about 215 degrees, if I remember correctly. Borrow someone's Scangauge or Ultragauge and see what the temps are.

You need to tell us what the actual temperature readings are. The "ticks" are misleading because they rise exponentially so there's no telling what your actual temps are.

I can help you if you provide actual readings. Easy to do on an OBDII car as Boostedtaco said. Heck, buy a $10 Bluetooth dongle from Amazon and download the Torque free app for your smart phone.

So I've been driving the car all week to duplicate the overheating I was seeing. Not once in 7 days has it moved past "normal" regardless of how I've driven it. Stop/go traffic, pushing it on the highway, nothing.
Seems to have been a fluke? Haha.

Back