• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Craigslist posting, 1991 Red CTSC NSX VIN: JH4NA1158MT003072 please be aware

I am not trying to be a hater in any way. Less than a year ago I was looking into getting my second NSX. There was a guy locally named Kevin that listed his supercharged NSX on here. When i test drove the car I noticed slight play in the steering wheel, you would have to move it more than an inch before you noticed the car react. I found this strange so I had the car inspected, and the shop found that some front tie rods were worn, and have been driven like that for so long, that the steering rack bushings went bad and needed to be replaced. The parts new listed for over $3800 alone which were two tie rods and the steering rack, not including labor. I passed on the car because of this.

Kevin finally sold his car, I gave him a copy of the estimate, but I guess he didnt pass it on to the new owner.

Just wanted to warn people about this car and the items that needed to be replaced.

Strange, the inner tie-rods going bad is a pretty common problem. These are actually some of the cheapest parts for the NSX.

No idea how that would wear the steering back bushings though, as more play would actually isolate the steering rack from load inputs (the slack takes up all the minor road deflections instead of forcing it into the rack and through the wheel).

By bushings I assume you mean the bronze or metal bushings that are inside the steering rack housing itself, not the rubber bushings that mount the rack to the car, correct?

Is this something that other people have had to replace? Also, I haven't checked in the service manual yet, is the steering rack supposed to be greased in certain intervals? I'm not even sure if it has a grease fitting on it.

Also, I've heard of people rebuilding the racks instead, some place near Indianapolis does a good job. Couple hundred bucks if I remember correctly.

Last edited:
I had its professionally checked and I am not sure what exactly wore, he said the steering rack was worn, figure it had to be some kinda bushings lol.

the tie rod might be the wrong part description, but it was a suspension part that was close to $480 each new, and both sides were worn

I am not sure what exactly wore, he said the steering rack was worn, figure it had to be some kinda bushings lol.

So you're posting some dude's VIN, and smearing the sale of his car, over something which you're not sure about, while guessing as to what component requires replacement?

wow.

:confused:

I looked at the car about 10 months ago, unfortunately I do not have the estimate anymore.

The only thing I am trying to do is warn the nsx community about parts that should be looked at and replaced. I believe in good karma, and selling a car with known problems but are not told to the new owner is just bad news.

I do not remember exactly what needed to be replaced, but I know the parts alone were shy of $4k plus labor, so I did not bother with the details

All I am doing is giving a heads up and looking out for people, didnt think i would get smashed for doing the right thing

I looked at the car about 10 months ago, unfortunately I do not have the estimate anymore.

Perhaps it's been repaired, perhaps the inspection was inaccurate, the diagnosis faulty, the estimate inflated; I think if one were to call out a seller over a vehicle in this fashion, they would want to ensure they're doing so with accurate information.

So without 100% accurate info, but knowing that something is faulty with the way the car steers, I should just keep my mouth shut about it and we should pass the problem on to another owner?

All I am saying is pay attention to how it feels, get the car inspected and get a second opinion if needed.

I guess Trust the seller over a third party who doesn't really care if the car sells or not

This car is now in another state and the new owner is trying to sell it yet another time. This nsx has been passed around so many times within 2 years, geez

This car has been all over the country, Current owner has had it less than 4 months, previous owner before that less than 6 months and now its on ebay... I really think the steering rack issue and the problem with the fan unit that controls the vents and air hasn't been addressed. Why else would it change hands so quick??? Potential Buyers beware, get these things checked out

NSXOWNERS.jpg

Scorp965 - I'm with you on this one

Rjwong:
dude?!, whats the matter with you? ---- are you buying a 2012 car?
Ofcourse these cars are gonna have issues! They all do!
the "fan - control - thingy - problem" : you mean maybe a CCU fix? BIG DEAL - BrianK, 80 bucks later -- fixed.
the "steering - wheel - feeling - funny -thingy - issue": BIG DEAL - get it fixed and/or rebuilt : ~$500 at most.
the "car - has - been all over the word thingy issue" - come on man, over 20yrs!, it WILL get its way around.
Get a proper PPI done and you'll know what your getting into, that's it.

Last edited:
This car has been all over the country, Current owner has had it less than 4 months, previous owner before that less than 6 months and now its on ebay... I really think the steering rack issue and the problem with the fan unit that controls the vents and air hasn't been addressed. Why else would it change hands so quick??? Potential Buyers beware, get these things checked out

View attachment 97151
Cause I have 5 cars, I want a viper. Wasting a lot of time speculating about something youre not interested in dont you think? The last few owners have been on PRime.You've had a hard on posting about this car for awhile. You bring an inflated estimate for some "needed" repairs and buyer shrugs you off then you post up here about it. I mean 3800 for a reman rack and tie rod ends that's laughable.I've also had the car for going on 8 months or more.
Scorp965 - I'm with you on this one

Rjwong:
dude?!, whats the matter with you? ---- are you buying a 2012 car?
Ofcourse these cars are gonna have issues! They all do!
the "fan - control - thingy - problem" : you mean maybe a CCU fix? BIG DEAL - BrianK, 80 bucks later -- fixed.
the "steering - wheel - feeling - funny -thingy - issue": BIG DEAL - get it fixed and/or rebuilt : ~$500 at most.
the "car - has - been all over the word thingy issue" - come on man, over 20yrs!, it WILL get its way around.
Get a proper PPI done and you'll know what your getting into, that's it.
I know just want to talk about cars....... It blows out of all vents and ive had no steering rack issues. For about a two months I was putting 1200 miles a week. Im offering the car at a reasonable price and just trying to get a decent offer and sell it to change out to another viper.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I am sorry... Please do not listen to me then. Sounds like a great deal with a good ownership history. Yes these cars are 20 years old, so hey, they should have been all around the country at one point in time. I guess my old nsx and my current one is the odd one out of the bunch, both being original Northern California Cars and stayed in Nor Cal their entire life, each owner had it about 8 years, not 8 months, but hey I must be the one that is mistaken, I forgot we are talking about a 20 year old car here. Good luck with your sale

you should see my carfax LOL my 92 use to be a little whore LOL. she has seen more states than me. LOL

Hey guys, I am sorry... Please do not listen to me then. Sounds like a great deal with a good ownership history. Yes these cars are 20 years old, so hey, they should have been all around the country at one point in time. I guess my old nsx and my current one is the odd one out of the bunch, both being original Northern California Cars and stayed in Nor Cal their entire life, each owner had it about 8 years, not 8 months, but hey I must be the one that is mistaken, I forgot we are talking about a 20 year old car here. Good luck with your sale
I mean cmon, first its 3800 then its 4000 then you can't remember what all it needed or find a receipt. You think a tie rod end and reman steering rack is 4000 in parts? Get real dude. The car isn't perfect but you sitting here following adds around like a lost puppy is stupid.

th_83B92A12-CCE7-4B17-91DE-9FE51F478C37-503-00000A87435735F8_zps5b8492ac.jpg
[/URL]

Last edited:
I mean cmon, first its 3800 then its 4000 then you can't remember what all it needed or find a receipt. You think a tie rod end and reman steering rack is 4000 in parts? Get real dude. The car isn't perfect but you sitting here following adds around like a lost puppy is stupid.

th_83B92A12-CCE7-4B17-91DE-9FE51F478C37-503-00000A87435735F8_zps5b8492ac.jpg
[/URL]

Sorry, to me $3800 and rounding to $4000 is the same thing. I do not feel like I am changing my story or making anything up about this nsx. I have no receipt bc i gave the paperwork to Kevin (the guy that originally had this for sale in alameda) after I paid for the PPI on this car. I am sorry I do not remember every part number that needed attention. I was interested in the car, paid for an inspection and when it failed that inspection I didn't feel the need to remember all the details about it. Kevin ended up selling the car and then a few months later it was re-posted for sale. I felt that as a prime member, I should give a warning to potential buyers, to get a good PPI and then make your own sound decision.

No where in this thread has anybody stated they had another PPI done and that I am wrong. When I drove the car there was a little slop in the steering; no owner has yet to deny this and state that the steering feels tight and true.

Judging from the picture you just posted it looks like none of the small stuff has been addressed. For example, I remember the clock was missing and the center console was rattle canned Red, and by rattle can I mean someone spray painted it. If some small finishes haven't been fixed on that car, I highly doubt the other items have been fixed as well.

Are you the original person that bought this from Kevin in Alameda? Or did you buy this a few months after someone else bought it? I just don't understand that if this is such an amazing well kept car, then why would two owners be selling it less than 6 months after each ownership?

Once again though guys, please make your own decision, if you feel it is a great deal, then please by all means jump on it

Sorry, to me $3800 and rounding to $4000 is the same thing. I do not feel like I am changing my story or making anything up about this nsx. I have no receipt bc i gave the paperwork to Kevin (the guy that originally had this for sale in alameda) after I paid for the PPI on this car. I am sorry I do not remember every part number that needed attention. I was interested in the car, paid for an inspection and when it failed that inspection I didn't feel the need to remember all the details about it. Kevin ended up selling the car and then a few months later it was re-posted for sale. I felt that as a prime member, I should give a warning to potential buyers, to get a good PPI and then make your own sound decision.

No where in this thread has anybody stated they had another PPI done and that I am wrong. When I drove the car there was a little slop in the steering; no owner has yet to deny this and state that the steering feels tight and true.

Judging from the picture you just posted it looks like none of the small stuff has been addressed. For example, I remember the clock was missing and the center console was rattle canned Red, and by rattle can I mean someone spray painted it. If some small finishes haven't been fixed on that car, I highly doubt the other items have been fixed as well.

Are you the original person that bought this from Kevin in Alameda? Or did you buy this a few months after someone else bought it? I just don't understand that if this is such an amazing well kept car, then why would two owners be selling it less than 6 months after each ownership?

Once again though guys, please make your own decision, if you feel it is a great deal, then please by all means jump on it
It clearly states in my add the trim is loose and I planned on replacing so just sitting there. It doesn't firm up anything minus you have no proof of anything and stating that tie rod ends and a steering rack is 3800-4000 and can't differentiate the two. I stated not even a few posts up I have no problems with the steering yet you persist on your witch hunt. It just sounds like you brought a "ppi" in to try to negotiate and it didn't work.

Last edited:
It clearly states in my add the trim is loose and I planned on replacing so just sitting there. It doesn't firm up anything minus you have no proof of anything and stating that tie rod ends and a steering rack is 3800-4000. I stated not even a few posts up I have no problems with the steering yet you persist on your witch hunt. It just sounds like you brought a "ppi" in to try to negotiate and it didn't work.
I tried to negotiate what and it didn't work? Let's put it this way, kevin offered to sell me this supercharged Nsx for only $20k flat and I still ran away from it. Contact kevin yourself and he can confirm this. BTW I did not read your ad. I'm done wasting my time with this Nsx, potential buyers good luck.

Hi,

i find amazing that a Primer try to help others with his experience/finds on a particular
NSX and everyone jump at his throat for doing so.

I mean, he was going to buy the car, had it inspected, found problems, ran away and shared
this with this community..... where the hell is the problem ?!

If i, as a buyer, go see this NSX and already know this, it's one thing i KNOW i HAVE TO check.

Nuno

Hi,

i find amazing that a Primer try to help others with his experience/finds on a particular

I mean, he was going to buy the car, had it inspected, found problems, ran away and shared

If i, as a buyer, go see this NSX and already know this, it's one thing i KNOW i HAVE TO check.

Nuno
I honestly have no idea how posting an add saying a car needs 4,000 in work yet can't provide any real information about it is "helpful" . . This car has been through more than one primer. One had it for several years and did the majority of the modifications to it.

Last edited:
Hi,

man, don't try to justify it.... the OP tested the car and felt a significant play in the steering...

and stop talking about the $4000... did you know that the OEM manual steering rack for this car is discontinued ?!
did you know that the EPS one costs $4500 with discount ?!

if i'm buying a car, i want to know how much would cost me to fix something in the worst case scenario, and not
base my budget on hack jobs....

You are the seller now, but this problem existed and was detected some owners back... so any potential buyers
from this community MUST be aware to check it if they come to see the car...

This is so obvious to me that i think i said enough and i won't reply again to this thread.

Nuno

Last edited:
Hi,

man, don't try to justify it.... the OP tested the car and felt a significant play in the steering...

and stop talking about the $4000... did you know that the OEM manual steering rack for this car is discontinued ?!
did you know that the EPS one costs $4500 with discount ?!

if i'm buying a car, i want to know how much would cost me to fix something in the worst case scenario, and not
base my budget on hack jobs....

You are the seller now, but this problem existed and was detected some owners back... so any potential buyers
from this community MUST be aware to check it if they come to see the car...

This is so obvious to me that i think i said enough and i won't reply again to this thread.

Nuno
I own the car and have no steering issues. A remanufactured steering rack is less than 500 bucks dude. LOL

Hi,

Nuno

this I agree with and this was what I was thinking reading thru this thread.

probably best to lock this thread. for those interested in the car, just do the proper DD on the issues mentioned as well as replacement costs for potential problem areas.

Back