• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

CT 9-lb Boost Kit for 3.2L

Number9

This is probably old news to some of you, but I just confirmed with Comptech that they do have a released 9-lb upgrade kit for their SC for use with 3.2L engines. (A year ago they would only say that they were working on it.) According to Joe at CT, they've only sold a handful of them so far - one of them installed in Paul Tracy's (sp?) NSX.

The kit includes new belt, pulley, injectors, and fuel regulator. If you have one of the newer CT superchargers, your previous regulator should work but will require a spring swap. Kinda pricey at about $1.3K but I ordered it anyway. Though not as cost effective as the BB kit overall, for the early SC adopters the CT SC is now just a sunk cost - hence this kit is a real cheap path to more power, ARGH, ARGH... (with apologies to Tim Allen)

Should have dyno results in about 3-4 weeks if they can ship it out by next week. Haven't seen any prior dyno results for 3.2L 9-lb boosted cars yet, so if you're aware of any please post.

Cheers,

--twc

99 NSX-Z SC
95 Dinan M3 SC
95 M3 (stock)

I just asked Shad what the #'s were for the 9PSI 3.2L kit compared to the 6PSI kit - I haven't gotten a response yet, but will post any information he gives me.

I will be very interested in your results!

------------------
David Allen
'00 Silverstone NSX-T

I emailed them about a month ago and they told me they didn't have an ETA on when it would be released. To me this meant that they had given up on it since when I purchased the supercharger a year ago they told me they would have the 9 PSI kit in a month.

I am glad to hear that they came through and produced one, I am anxious to hear about the difference in HP at the Dyno and also seat of the pants feel.

Keep us posted!

I got an EMail from Shad and he said that the 9PSI kit does not come with a warranty, but they haven't had any problems so far.

He also mentioned they're only showing an additional 10-15RWHP with the 9PSI pully. Very disappointing, and not worth it IMO. I got more RWHP out of Mark Basch tweaking my fuel settings.

Mark - if you're reading this, I'd really like to see a response to my other thread asing how you get ~40RWHP on a 3.0L with your setup than a 3.2L with a CTSC.

Thanks!

------------------
David Allen
'00 Silverstone NSX-T
Comptech SC, Headers, Intake, Exhaust & a little Mark Basch tweakage

Mark has commented on this before. To put it simply, the design is just more efficient.

Regards,
-- Chris

------------------
SoS_logo.gif

http://www.NSXClassifieds.com - free NSX classifieds site!

Originally posted by David Allen:
I just asked Shad what the #'s were for the 9PSI 3.2L kit compared to the 6PSI kit - I haven't gotten a response yet, but will post any information he gives me.

I will be very interested in your results!

In doing research for the BBSC project, I discovered that there IS a large Honda injector that fits the NSX 3.2L and has the proper connectors to fit the late model wire harness. Believe it or not, the first thing I did after building one myself, was to call Shad at CT and share with him the injectors I found and how to install them safely. Although CT did use aftermarket injectors in thier early 9psi upgrade kits, they switched to JDM injectors as soon as I shared that part number with them. (I stole the p/n from the GMCS that I recieved) CT would rather not use a/m injectors if it can be helped, just like me. I won't use a/m injectors unless I have NO choice.

Cheers,
Mark

Just got the 3.2L high boost kit today - install is scheduled for next week Thurs and will dyno either the Fri or Mon following.

Minor update, the FPR will need to be replaced and there is a core charge, so net price is in excess of $1.3K and reduces to that after you return your old FPU (plus-or-minus some shipping and tax).

VROOM...

--twc

99 NSX-Z SC (soon-to-be-high-boost)
95 Dinan M3 SC (soon-to-have-new-cam & fuel-map)
95 M3 (stock)

Great fun! I was at a local dyno shop recently and they showed me a chart from a 3.2 with CT that did 368HP. They didn't know if it had the 9lb kit, but I assume it did particularly since I am familiar with the owner and I can't imagine him doing less.

According to Joe at CT, they've only sold a handful of them so far - one of them installed in Paul Tracy's (sp?) NSX.
[/B]

I think in some car mag interview, he claims he took his nsx up to 193mph. Not too shabby.

Originally posted by David Allen:

Mark - if you're reading this, I'd really like to see a response to my other thread asing how you get ~40RWHP on a 3.0L with your setup than a 3.2L with a CTSC.
A friend of mine got these #s on his 6# CTSC Zanardi -- Dyno test was done (by DynoJet in California right after Comptech did the SC installation) with CT Supercharger, High-Flow Air Box, Headers and Exhaust.
Results: 355.4 RWHP and 241.6 ft-lb RWT.

What are the #s for a 3.2L BBSC ? Are the effects as pronounced with the C32 motor as they are on the C30 ??

Does he have a baseline dyno readout?

My mistake was not getting a baseline dyno done before I made all of my mods, so I have no idea what my 'gain' was.

------------------
David Allen
'00 Silverstone NSX-T
Comptech SC, Headers, Intake, Exhaust & a little Mark Basch tweakage

Originally posted by nsx1164:
Originally posted by cojones:
What are the #s for a 3.2L BBSC ? Are the effects as pronounced with the C32 motor as they are on the C30 ??
From the BBSC FAQ page, the beta C32 #s were as follows:
HP 406.0RWHP @ 7800RPM
T 284.0LB-FT @ 6900RPM
other mods: Comptech Cams, ARCti Exhaust, cat pipes, big throttle body, GruppeM fuel injectors

Whats up with the torque curve on the BB 3.2L, its all over the place between 4500 and 5500 RPM.

------------------
NetViper -= 100% Stock EBP 2000 Civic Si =- Still looking to get an NSX, but at least I can live life at 8,000 RPM!

Just got back from having the high-boost kit installed by a local dealer named "Foreign Affair" in Santa Clara. They do great work and are pretty tightly coupled to Comptech (the owner has a blown NSX too!).

Anyway, won't have dyno results until next week or so, but the seat-of-the-pants dyno gives a big thumbs up!!! With the 6.9 lb kit the car was already pretty zippy - but now it feels like there's a lot more punch, like a V-8. Conclusion: easily worth the incremental cost.

Well, since I'm cutting work already, might as well go out there and drive instead of sitting here typing...

[This message has been edited by Number9 (edited 17 January 2002).]

Even though we're talking about 3.2 motors, I will provide this info for comparison sake.

Mike Niday has the Comptech supercharger with Comptech headers and exhaust on his '92 NSX. The car dynoed at 340hp at the wheels. With the 9psi upgrade kit, there was a gain of approximately 20hp.

Scan's of the dyno results appear at the link below as well as a video of the dnyo run.
http://northwest.nsxca.org/mikedyno.html

Vytas

Hi Vytas!

Didn't mean to suggest that the boost kit performed miracles or anything, but the increased torque is quite noticeable. If the HP improvement at the rear wheels is 20, I'd consider it a big win at a cheap price (by NSX standards). My car is lighter than most, so 20 RWHP is a big deal.

--twc

BTW, Mike really likes the high boost kit results - in fact, it's his fault that I got hooked on go-fast crack in the first place (he gave me a ride in his car!!!).

[This message has been edited by Number9 (edited 18 January 2002).]

Just got back from the dyno shop. Executive summary is: RWHP +18HP and RWTQ +9 ft/lbs. Car has 3.2L w/9-lb Comptech kit (ONLY) and is now running 359RWHP.

I like the quiet stock header/exhaust so there's probably a few more easy HP to be had if I were willing to tolerate an extra 10dB - NOT! More interesting is that at the top of the RPM range around 7800 RPM it looks like there's just a bit of roughness and flattening that looks like timing retard kicking in because of the knock sensor. Assuming that theory is correct, it appears that there might be an extra 5-10 RWHP available just from getting higher octane gas (I ran standard pump 91). Also, for my car the air/fuel curve could clearly be improved but at >5.5K it's pretty much spot on. Optimizing that could give more low/mid punch. Anyway, now to find a good Vortech FPR tuner...

Back