• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Cutting freight costs from US

Curious to know if anyone has found a way to get larger freight items imported from US at reasonable rates. For small & medium parcels that aren't heavy the US Postal Service (USPS) is fantastic But as soon as the USPS limits are exceeded the (30kg / 1.1m) costs and extra charges through freight companies (eg FEDEX, DB Schenker) become ridiculous, with extras like "brokerage" (WTF?) really adding up.

For anyone who's interested I've attached a small Excel file showing USPS limits & prices.

Attachments

• USPS sizes & costs.pdf
    8.6 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Yes, I don't think there is a cheap option, other than fill a container & sea freight it to Oz.

But you need to fill it to make it viable.

I've got a friend that's filling a container in The States to ship back to OZ later in the Year, I could probably get some space.

Is anyone recieving a container from SOS in Brisbane?

I am hoping to be able to provide this service for my fellow primers soon. I was at a logistics/freight forwarder where I was able to, but just started my own business and am working on necessary memberships (IATA).

Hopefully I'll be able to provide pricing on my own soon. I should be able to provide something now, but the rate would be a bit higher as I'd have to go through another party.

Chad

Its not just he freight costs themselves, its the freight forwarder costs here in Australia, clearance costs etc and if over $1000 customs and GST. I just paid over $600 to clear a delivery into Adelaide *** on top of *** the $430 freight costs !! and this for items that only cost US $1000....

the really annoying bit was when I paid the exchange rate was over 1.00 so I paid less than A$1000 for the US$1000 goods, BUT the customs rule is based on exchange rate at date of shipment , not date of payment! At shipment date exchange rate had moved under 1.00 meaning over A$1000, so I had to pay customs and GST which added about $250 into that $600 !!! ... sooo expensive, a real turn off. Ridiculous rule!

So $1000 purchase became over $2000 .... :mad::mad:

Its not just he freight costs themselves, its the freight forwarder costs here in Australia, clearance costs etc and if over $1000 customs and GST. I just paid over $600 to clear a delivery into Adelaide *** on top of *** the $430 freight costs !! and this for items that only cost US $1000....

the really annoying bit was when I paid the exchange rate was over 1.00 so I paid less than A$1000 for the US$1000 goods, BUT the customs rule is based on exchange rate at date of shipment , not date of payment! At shipment date exchange rate had moved under 1.00 meaning over A$1000, so I had to pay customs and GST which added about $250 into that $600 !!! ... sooo expensive, a real turn off. Ridiculous rule!

So $1000 purchase became over $2000 .... :mad::mad:

They havent charged me for all my parts when bringing them in, guess I got lucky. I brought in wilwood's, coilovers and various other parts. Lucky for me!

In regards to freight, have you tried calling a car importer, they would have crates that come in, I think you might find a company that advertised in Unique Car mag that did this for old mustangs.

They havent charged me for all my parts when bringing them in, guess I got lucky. I brought in wilwood's, coilovers and various other parts. Lucky for me.

you probably received them by US Postal Service which is by far cheapest and least risky. But USPS has size & weight limits, after that it's a freight company and $$$$$. my stuff wasn't heavy, just too big for USPS

The only reason I asked is, I ordered a front gt shine lip from SOS, and thay sent it in a container to someone in Brisbane, and he will send it to me so we cut freight costs from us. So...... I thought it could be someone from here.

The only reason I asked is, I ordered a front gt shine lip from SOS, and thay sent it in a container to someone in Brisbane, and he will send it to me so we cut freight costs from us. So...... I thought it could be someone from here.

There is a really big S2000 club up in Brisbane with I think a lot guys tracking their car. These guys deal with SOS a lot as well. I wish I had known as I would have got some stuff ordered if I knew there was a container comming!

I thought you were joking! Doh!!

Do they have a forum?

I ve already found it. Thanks anyway. yes it is the s2k club. He imports every 6 to 8 weeks. I should have my lip on monday. U should contact him if you want staf from Shine.:smile:

I'm working a temp job right now for a freight company called BAX Global/DB Sheneker. When I had my CF hood shipped to me from california (a few years ago), it was shipped with them and was about as cheap as a greyhound.

I see alot of stuff in the warehouse awaiting shipment to australia. BIG stuff too. You may want to check them out.

Ok I'm bumping this thread...

Does anyone know of an automotive transport company or someone where they then ship containers or cars and car part to Australia?

A regular service every 1-2 months would be ideal...

I would like to know of this too. I was just quoted $850 for freighting a set of wheels from US to Adelaide !

I use DHL for everything oversized.

Quickest and best rates.

FedEx and UPS are shocking.

I may have a solution. My mate has a best friend who family runs a shipping company / import company of US classic cars. He just throws wheels n everything into the cars he imports, so free freight.

Last edited:
I use Fedex, EMS and GLS mostly.
UPS and DHL are generally more expensive or charge more brokerage fees.

If any of you would like to consolidate orders from us that isn't a problem, we do it all the time saves a lot of money especially on JDM shipments.
a 50x50x50cm box 25kg would cost $150 AUD to Fedex Holland > Australia.
That's quite/very large you could get quite a lot of parts in there.

Back