• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Cylinder Head Flow Tested

Hi everyone,

I had the chance to pick up a junk 3.0 cylinder head and had it flow tested in various conditions. My sequence of testing went:

1. stock (with 35 mm intake valves)
2. stock sized valves + valve job
3. mild port job
4. with +1 mm intake valves + new valve job
5. with combustion chamber work
6. with +2 mm intake valves + new valve job

Testing was done on a Superflow 1000 at 28 inches of water, and we tested from 0.050" lift up to 0.600" of lift in 0.050" increments. Upsized valves were Manley units.

My data will be kept proprietary for now, but I can tell you that the best configuration the 3.0 heads likes is #4. I am choosing to ignore the data from 0.500 to 0.600" of lift since there aren't any cams that come close to offering that much lift.

Data from #4
0.050: 55.0% over stock
0.100: 18.4% over stock
0.150: 12.9% over stock
0.200: 3.4% over stock
0.250: 0.9% over stock
0.300: No change
0.350: 3.0% over stock
0.400: 8.8% over stock
0.450: 13.5% over stock

Take home message: The 3.0 cylinder heads really like a +1 mm intake valve and a good valve job.

A thank you goes out to connectorman who was going to scrap that head. Instead, it was used in the name of research.

Last edited:
i have been following your threads and i must say :encouragement:.

Have you clayed this motor? I would like to know the P2V clearance.

I figure some 36mm valves and a lift of .455 .470 would pair up rather nice.

i have been following your threads and i must say :encouragement:.

Have you clayed this motor? I would like to know the P2V clearance.

I figure some 36mm valves and a lift of .455 .470 would pair up rather nice.

No, the testing was done on a spare/junk cylinder head.

I would also like to know the P2V as well as the V2V clearance.

Yes, they outflow the Honda B-series, but not by much.

The K-series and F-series (S2000, not Accord LOL) both outflow the C-series, and since those motors are used a lot in all sorts of competitive racing, there are variants that really put out some nice numbers.

That being said, the head I had tested put out some really impressive numbers at 0.500 to 0.600" lift.

If I had some Toda Cs and 12+ compression, I would definitely want/need the 36 mm valve with port work and valve job.

Were you able to benchmark your values with other engine heads just to see how well the NSX heads really flow?

comptech included a mild extrude hone port polish on thier iem package

comptech included a mild extrude hone port polish on thier iem package

I believe Comptech hand-ported the cylinder heads.

From a 1990's Comptech NSX catalog: "NSX enthusiasts looking to improve overall engine performance should consider the Comptech High-Velocity Cylinder Head option, a component of our highly successful Internal Engine Modification Package ("IEM Package"), the results of which feature an increase of up to 100hp! In developing the High-Velocity Cylinder Head, our race engineers have worked hard to gain additional top-end power without sacrificing low and mid-range torque. We accomplished this by keeping the port as small as possible and removing material in selected areas, with painstaking attention being given to the valve and seat pocket area. Our special design and engineering allows for the port volume to remain small, while increasing air velocity. The results produce a harmonious balance for street and track applications. If you desire more power for racing purposes, check with us regarding our Full Race Porting option (excellent for track use, but low-end drivability is sacrificed)."

When I had Comptech carry out work on my engine, I spoke with them about their "High Performance Intake Manifold". Again from their catalog: "Simply send us your original factory intake manifold, less all hoses, electronics, etc. We will then port and polish the manifold to our exacting specifications, utilizing the same equipment used to prepare our race team vehicles." They recommended, if I didn’t mind the extra cost, that I send my intake manifold to Extrude Hone instead since that yielded an even better result.

Based on that, I believe Comptech hand-ported the cylinder heads and did not have them Extrude Honed.

..............ahhhh .....so thats why i paid so much:eek: hand rubbed by artisans...:wink:

I believe Comptech hand-ported the cylinder heads.

From a 1990's Comptech NSX catalog: "NSX enthusiasts looking to improve overall engine performance should consider the Comptech High-Velocity Cylinder Head option, a component of our highly successful Internal Engine Modification Package ("IEM Package"),

do you remember who you talked to? Don Erb? who was their engine builder? Shad must know something about this.

john ......his last name sounded like serimaly....something like that...now this was over 10 years ago.

Your best bet is to give Shad a call. It's been 19 years since I had Comptech port my cylinder heads, modify my airbox, etc. I spoke with Jonsie regarding their high-volume oil pump and I also noted that I spoke with Don, Bob, Curt, and Chris, but I didn't note who ported the cylinder heads or who their engine builder was.

I just had Port Flow do my spare heads they enlarged the intake valve by 1mm to the 3.2 spec installed brass guides and gave them a tidy up look real nice in the photos havent got them back yet as all the new valves and valve train is off being WPC treated

PortFlow Design 1.jpgPortFlow Design 2.jpgPortFlow Design 3.jpgPortFlow Design 4.jpgPortFlow Design 5.jpgPortFlow Design 6.jpgPortFlow Design 7.jpg

Last edited:
I was at 298 rwhp on a 90 degree day on a dynojet....but no pre mod power level to compare.

The owner of PF - Tom Fujita, we used to work together at Nissan. He knows what he is doing.

yeah I found them very good to deal with, I attached some photos so you guys can check out their work

Back