• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Dali Carbon Brake Deflectors

Just a heads up for those of you considering the purchase of these bad boys:

http://www.daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/stop_faster/cf-air-deflector/?focus=1749

This is a great part at a great price, but please note that you might need to do some trimming in order to get these to fit without any rubbing. The description on Dali's site points this out of course, but just based on the description I didn't think I would run into any problems since my setup seems fairly common:

I have a '92 with stock shocks/springs, and I'm using stock 94+ wheels (16f/17r) with stock tires.

Turns out that I had to trim about 2.5 inches off the bottom of these in order for them to clear my wheels/tires at near full lock. Before you bolt them on and drive off with them, test fit them by hand and turn the wheels to full lock to see if they rub. Do that step and save yourself some time - don't be like me and assume that everything will work with essentially a stock suspension and wheel/tire setup :smile:

na14yu said:
This is a great part at a great price, but please note that you might need to do some trimming in order to get these to fit without any rubbing. ....Turns out that I had to trim about 2.5 inches off the bottom of these in order for them to clear my wheels/tires at near full lock. Before you bolt them on and drive off with them, test fit them by hand and turn the wheels to full lock to see if they rub. Do that step and save yourself some time - don't be like me and assume that everything will work with essentially a stock suspension and wheel/tire setup.

I had the same problem as you and made the same mistake that you did. :redface: You turned them lock to lock with the wheels in the air didn't you? Try loading the wheel to normal weight (I did this by putting a jack under the suspension - although under the tire would also work - and jacking up the side of the car until it just lifted off of the jack stand on that corner) and you will find there is hardly any interference.

The geometry changes when the wheel is on the ground compared to when it is off the ground. When on the ground everything lines up almost perfectlyand there is minimal intereference. Even when the wheel goes from lock to lock or up and down (from going over a bump) there is not any interference. As a result, hardly any trimming is necessary. I did have to trim a small amount off of the wheel end of the duct (less than 0.5") to get it to clear the anti-lock brake line when the wheels are in the straight ahead position.

Fortunately, I realized this 'problem' only after I had (like you did) trimmed off a sizable amount of material on one of the ducts. When I compared it to the other, untrimmed duct I was shocked. This did not make sense to me. Why would a part be designed that had so much interference? Even Mark J. did not appreciate the problem and suggested that trimming was necessary. But he graciously replaced the one duct for me after I had butchered it when I pointed out the change in geometry that arose once the wheel was loaded and in the operating position. I had hoped that he would post a caveat on his site or include it with the part but apparently not.

I think this is a great product. It just needs a little explanation on the correct way to install it.

Okay, turns out this was user error!! :redface:

Originally, I had these installed when I was getting some other service work done, and on my way home these rubbed at near full lock. Once I got home I took them off and started trimming and test fitting them back on the car. It never, ever occured to me that these were originally installed backwards :frown:

Today I put the car on ramps and swapped them left to right, and then turned them upside down and they fit perfectly. Because of the hack job I did in order to get them to fit backwards, these are trimmed a little too much. In the end though, they are still about 4x the size of the stockers, so I'm not too worried.

Big thanks to Hrant for helping out and looking into this :smile:

I have these on my car, there is a major clearance issue with them when you have the car up on jack stands. Make sure to keep an eye on them when you are bleeding brakes if you have Wilwood calipers, mine will hit when I turn the wheels with the suspension fully dropped. There is no issue with the car on the ground.

These things are gigantic, plus look very cool, have not done any real temperature testing but sense I installed these and changed from Wilwood rotors to Brembo, I have had no more cracking issues with my rotors. the Wilwood rotors were lasting 1 to 3 track days, and the engineers at Wilwood said that is in line with what I should expect.

Photo's and drilling advice

Hi Guys,

I have these ready to install as part of my braking upgrade/refresh.

Has anyone taking photo's of the installed items? Also, any special precautions when drilling the mounting holes?

Thanx in advance

Please see attahced b4 and after deflector pics.

Install of the CF required minimal trimming (mainly to clear ABS pipes). Did do a little whilst on the ramps. Used a coping saw and sandpaper to finish.

You will need to drill the CF to install. Make sure you use a SHARP bit to avoid damage. I needed to extend one hle slightly to give good fit.

regards, Paul

Last edited:
Back