• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Did I buy the wrong NSX, and what should I do about it... if anything?

To summarize: the more I keep modding my car, the more I wish I had a coupe.

I was at a similar point a few years ago at the bottom of the recession, when 02's were cheap (mid $40-50k range) and wondering if I should just make the move to an 02 for the 6 speed and fixed headlights as it was a far better value than adding both of those to my car. I kinda wish I would have sold so I don't have to have this debate with myself but OTOH it's a fun process and I've learned a lot along the way. I'm also kind of glad I didn't get an 02+ because my goals keep changing, though it would have been nice having a later model car with all the little updates even though my plan was to mod it up and make it mine.

I felt I wasn't getting what I wanted for my car at the time considering the amount of maintenance dollars I put into it due to the higher mileage and paintwork (like shaving the antenna). Now I've done even more maintenance (like the dreaded evaporator!) and the car is really pretty modded with quality parts and I'm not sure what it would be worth "as-is" even if I could find a serious buyer who loved it. Probably the same story, meaning I could not sell without taking a big loss despite the level of parts or care in it and I would have to deal with a bunch of rookies that don't understand how much things cost or what value they bring. The rule is return it to stock for sale purposes... and I don't make the rules! I could pretty easily return the interior carpet and seats to stock among other parts like the wheels if I had to but some things are not so easy like the non-compliance bushings in the rear beam unless I had another NSX ready to swap to and fro. Some of this stuff is hard to get now (STMPO products) or it's hard to do the labor on it so I'd actually love to take all my mods with me if I made a move. Of course I would also be disappointed by a stock NSX, though I could leave on the I/H/E/Injectors/FIC Tune which made 277 WHP (that's like 40-50 WHP more than stock)

So back to the point, I feel like I'm approaching another crossroads bc I have more mods like a refreshed manual steering rack, a 6 speed tranny w/ Type R mainshaft (which would need a new high HP clutch for future turbo), and a full 02 conversion/repaint planned soon. I know if I put those on that there's really no going back so they need to go in a car I want to keep. The longer term plan was/is to then build the engine (keep it 3.0L) and do a small/fast spool custom turbo system to create a more usable powerband.

There are multiple advantages I see for my current goal to build a more lightweight/powerful/02 Type R inspired project car out of a coupe instead of a targa- chief among them being the lower starting weight, rigid chassis, and easy tune-ability with OBDI/ECU/throttle body/cable. The NSX really needs every last HP and every last pound of weight off it to keep up with today's fast cars IMO. Just look at the NSX-R power-to-weight ratio compared to the original NSXs which is already ~25% better, so I would shoot for 35-50% improvement with a medium turbo build.

The weight reduction on my car has made a huge difference (estimating 200 lb reduction right now with another 100 planned) and I can't help thinking that if I had a coupe I could achieve 2650 lbs which would make the car very lively. First I was dying for ITBs and thus kicked myself for having an OBDII car and no throttle cable. Then I did the RDX injectors and tune and hit ITB power levels so those became essentially irrelevant for me but I still wanted to do the BBTB to finish off my NA mini-project which again, the DBW throttle body calibration issue of 95+ roadblocked me. Now it's the same story with the 6 speed tranny bc I wanted to use the 4.23 final drive.

The 6 speed seems like a waste of money if the plan is turbo but the fact remains the 1-2 shift sucks with USDM 5 speed and the JDM gears just don't seem that appealing to me bc a 5 speed is still pretty old tech. I shifted a 6 speed and it's so much smoother, so I really liked it, and the ratios are just so much better since here in TX it's basically all highway driving. I actually wanted to get just the 4.23 final drive installed with it but it adds cost and won't work with 95+ diff, which then adds even more cost and then makes sense to just buy the OSG 4.4+LSD combo at that point. If I had an old coupe the 4.23 would have been an easy go. Plus, I rather like the idea of a 6 speed coupe as you could not buy that from a dealer here except in rare circumstances as we all know... and if you do it with an early coupe you get manual steering. On the flip side it feels dumb to put the 6 speed in a targa bc they are readily available as 97+ cars so nothing special about that.

One thing is for sure: I have grown tired of the pop-ups and no matter what I would either buy an 02 conversion or do the R conversion myself if I bought another NSX. What do you guys think? Should I make a move now or forever hold my peace? I don't think I can ever be a concurrent two NSX guy so trying to think long term happiness here with NSX-monogamy. There are a lot more variables that come into play that are unknown or TBD but this is already a mouthful so let's get the ball rolling! Thought it would make for a fun discussion at least, hopefully I will get some new insight along the way.

Last edited:
I cant comment on the other stuff. But, i think your gonna miss the pop ups. I have a set of frog eyes brand new in the box waiting to get installed, but in my mind i keep flipping back and forth about the two styles. Its just something about thr pop ups tbat belongs on the nsx. Just my thoughts!!

I've been staring at them for 6 years... I've had my fill and my front end is looking tired compared to the rest of my mods so it's a mix of factors ;) I used to love the pop ups and hate the fixed headlights but as the car keeps aging I want to keep renewing it. Plus the real beauty is a 30 lb weight reduction off the front end when combined with the type R hood the downforce is greatly increased (and the R hood with the frog eyes is a great looking combo). It was part of my ~100 lb car diet plan along with manual steering rack, lighter battery, and possible ABS system delete.

Last edited:
A lot of differences are exaggerated on this site and are not as big a deal as people like to make them
Personally after owning an nsx with forced induction at the same time as one without, I prefer a normally aspired nsx. A proper Honda should rev freely and run like a sewing machine. My 1992 gsr was the best Honda engine I've owned and a 3.2 liter with the six speed is as close to this as the nsx ever got
I also think the 02 front, nsxr hood, with post 2001 lighter and quicker abs is the way to go, both looks and performance wise
The 6 speed tranny is the way to go
Manual versus power steering. Not that big of deal to me and exaggerated on the forums.
Coupe versus targa not that big of deal to me
So I would enjoy your current car and not go through the hassle and tax associated with starting over, unless these items that are often exaggerated are really important to you! Stated another way if you read the boards to much and drive your car too little you get a distorted view and under appreciate what you have and overly fixate on what you don't have.
Go drive your car

Last edited:
Having a 92, I have owned it is now say 14 years. second owner. I've gone from NA--BBSC--NA--Comptech-- NA-- to Turbo. The best thing I could have changed on the car being NA was the 6-speed conversion. This is after the BBSC. I have also converted to the 02 headlights with all OEM parts except for the headlamp clips and hood from downforce. I made my choice solely for the weight savings with this.

I have to say over these years. I have always wanted a "T" but a 02-05. But with all the changes I have-- 02 interior, 6-speed, headlights, tail lights. I'm thinking why pay ..now...top dollar for the my top to come off. There are other cars out there but if I did get another one, I would keep my 92 and get a 97-up and keep it stock...ish :biggrin:

Last edited:
Completely left field question - but do you really just want a more modern car? The NSX is a superb car, but it is a 20 year old car and technology has marched forward. I am not sure you can mod your way out of that basic bit of reality.

Rather than continuing to pour money in to mods, perhaps consider picking up something more modern that has the raw power built in? With intelligent buying/selling you can avoid too much of a loss on the transaction and utilize low finance rates to spend someone else's money rather than yours. Say for example you buy a $60k GTR, that is $1000/month. Drive it for 6 months ($6000) and see if it scratches the itch that the NSX is not. If so, put your NSX on the market and happily drive the GTR. If you find that it simply doesn't do it, resell the GTR and use the proceeds to pay off the auto loan.

In the long run, it may be more fiscal than dumping money in to the NSX and may give you the answer you were looking for. Just a wild alternative to think about.

A lot of differences are exaggerated on this site and are not as big a deal as people like to make them
Personally after owning an nsx with forced induction at the same time as one without, I prefer a normally aspired nsx. A proper Honda should rev freely and run like a sewing machine. My 1992 gsr was the best Honda engine I've owned and a 3.2 liter with the six speed is as close to this as the nsx ever got
I also think the 02 front, nsxr hood, with post 2001 lighter and quicker abs is the way to go, both looks and performance wise
The 6 speed tranny is the way to go
Manual versus power steering. Not that big of deal to me and exaggerated on the forums.
Coupe versus targa not that big of deal to me
So I would enjoy your current car and not go through the hassle and tax associated with starting over, unless these items that are often exaggerated are really important to you! Stated another way if you read the boards to much and drive your car too little you get a distorted view and under appreciate what you have and overly fixate on what you don't have.
Go drive your car

This is perfectly put ^^!!!

You already have a clean car, you've started to mod. Absolutely no point in starting over. Enjoy it.

I do think the 02+ will be a great upgrade for you, not only in styling but it will make it feel like a whole new car again. I would hang onto your OEM pop up front end though. Not worth selling off the parts for next to nothing and IF you do decide to sell the car later on, you'll get just as much for your car with the pop ups in OEM form and be able to sell off the 02+ conversion for a pretty penny since everyone wants them!!

- - - Updated - - -

Having a 92, I have owned it is now say 14 years. second owner. I've gone from NA--BBSC--NA--Comptech-- NA-- to Turbo. The best thing I could have changed on the car being NA was the 6-speed conversion. This is after the BBSC. I have also converted to the 02 headlights with all OEM parts except for the headlamp clips and hood from downforce. I made my choice solely for the weight savings with this.

I have to say over these years. I have always wanted a "T" but a 02-05. But with all the changes I have-- 02 interior, 6-speed, headlights, tail lights. I'm thinking why pay ..now...top dollar for the my top to come off. There are other cars out there but if I did get another one, I would keep my 92 and get a 97-up and keep it stock...ish :biggrin:

This is basically what I did. My entire Lime green car is converted with OEM 02+ parts outside of the hood, and I went and purchased a bone stock 96 Berlina 5psd. NOT 97+, but very nice in oem form to drive and just keep in all original form.

Quite honestly, I never remove my top anyway. Synth19 and I just recently had that conversation. I probably take the Targa off 2 times per year.

I feel similar to you. I'm on the fence and feel like I should have picked up an 02+. I picked up a mint 91 with 33K about a year ago but since then have matched my roof to the car added an OEM 02+ rear valence, side skirts, door sills and wheels. The only part left on my car that is not 02+ is the front end and I'm itching to get that done. Maybe it's the mod bug and we're always looking for something more and different...

I dunno, maybe i'm in the minority. But i kinda wish I gotten a coupe instead of a targa. I can always add power but removing weight is alot harder.

ps: if you sell, i want some parts :D

too many variables to make a cause effect coralation . The biggest variable is you.I have had my 96 for 17 years and don't lust after anymore changes.I'm fine with the level of cosmetic mods and the street/track performance.

Is there a 12 step program for compulsive mod disorder? You did great work on your car. Strap yourself in the seat, take pride and enjoy it the way it is for awhile.:encouragement:

Bottom line is its human nature to want something different than what you have originally... Chicks with curly hair want straight hair, chicks with straight hair wish they had natural curls...

We have trophy wives but still gawk at the bottom feeding tramps that walk by... :D

Most of us love to dump money into our cars..nothing wrong with that. I guess my rule has always been to not do anything too drastic that you can't revert back... and if you can't revert back, then whatever drastic change you make, understand its something you can live with. Like an 02 conversion. :D

If you go widebody, phat wing, loud color, too custom interior... at some point sooner than later, you will want to go back to the car you purchased.. Going through rims, suspensions, side skirts, etc... none of that matters... from where im sitting, everything you have done that I have seen photos of is 100% legitimate. So what, you like change.. nothing wrong with that. :D

I'd have 5 sets of rims for my car if I could afford them.

Completely left field question - but do you really just want a more modern car? The NSX is a superb car, but it is a 20 year old car and technology has marched forward. I am not sure you can mod your way out of that basic bit of reality.

Rather than continuing to pour money in to mods, perhaps consider picking up something more modern that has the raw power built in? With intelligent buying/selling you can avoid too much of a loss on the transaction and utilize low finance rates to spend someone else's money rather than yours. Say for example you buy a $60k GTR, that is $1000/month. Drive it for 6 months ($6000) and see if it scratches the itch that the NSX is not. If so, put your NSX on the market and happily drive the GTR. If you find that it simply doesn't do it, resell the GTR and use the proceeds to pay off the auto loan.

In the long run, it may be more fiscal than dumping money in to the NSX and may give you the answer you were looking for. Just a wild alternative to think about.

+1!!!!!
Well stated. Maybe you just want a different car.

I feel similar to you. I'm on the fence and feel like I should have picked up an 02+. I picked up a mint 91 with 33K about a year ago but since then have matched my roof to the car added an OEM 02+ rear valence, side skirts, door sills and wheels. The only part left on my car that is not 02+ is the front end and I'm itching to get that done. Maybe it's the mod bug and we're always looking for something more and different...

I find your reply especially pertinent to my purchase process because I had serious considerations to purchase your car from the previous owner. His price was good and we even corresponded by email several times. After considering I'd have to spend money on replacing the wheels that came on the car, replace the lowering springs, tb/WP job, eventually wanting headers, I decided to buy Shawn's black '02. Despite the branded title I have no regrets spending just a little more for the newer car. There are no plans to sell and my insurance will cash me out with market replacement value should it be totaled so I'm protected there.

Back