• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Question about the which models of the Gen1 NSX has C32B engine in it

So we all know the NSX base model runs with the C30A engine, but Honda starts using the C32B engine in 1997, so does it mean the NSX-T that builds after 1997 has the C32B engine? if so, does it mean the C32B and a 6 speed manual transimisson only applied on NSX-T(NA1) and all NA2 models?

That is correct. All NSXs 1997-2005 had C32B and 6MT, except automatics, which remained with the C30 from 1991-2005.

The NSX-T actually started in 1995 when it would still with the C30A. The switchover to C32B in 1997 is actually NA2 pre-facelift and 2002 is NA2 post-facelift. NSX-T just denotes that it's a targa top so it's okay the NSX-T NA2 models with the updated drivetrain.

The NSX-T actually started in 1995 when it would still with the C30A. The switchover to C32B in 1997 is actually NA2 pre-facelift and 2002 is NA2 post-facelift. NSX-T just denotes that it's a targa top so it's okay the NSX-T NA2 models with the updated drivetrain.
so does it mean the NSX-T(NA1) that build after 1997 comes with the C32B?

yes

^ Maybe is the technically correct answer, as it would be an NA2, not an NA1 with the C32B. An AT NSX-T will always be an NA1, as all AT NSX use the C30A engine, even in 2005.
The change to using the C32B was made in February 1997, so you could have a January 1997 manual NA1 NSX-T, but I doubt if any were actually built.

^ Maybe is the technically correct answer, as it would be an NA2, not an NA1 with the C32B. An AT NSX-T will always be an NA1, as all AT NSX use the C30A engine, even in 2005.
The change to using the C32B was made in February 1997, so you could have a January 1997 manual NA1 NSX-T, but I doubt if any were actually built.
yes sir, the AT ones are all comes with the C30A and 4 speed. I saw wikipedia they said Honda started to produce C32B engine for 1997~2005 units, thats the period between some NA1s were still in production. So It makes me wonder if there's any NA1 NXS-T built with the C32B block.(Because I love the fliping headlights on the NA1 but want that 3.2L engine lol)

So It makes me wonder if there's any NA1 NXS-T built with the C32B block.(Because I love the fliping headlights on the NA1 but want that 3.2L engine lol)

Manual transmission cars 1997-2005 have 3.2 engine and 6-speed tranny. “NA2” will be in the VIN of those cars.

1997-2001 manual transmission cars have flip up headlights, 3.2 engine, and 6-speed tranny.

Last edited:
Manual transmission cars 1997-2005 have 3.2 engine and 6-speed tranny. “NA2” will be in the VIN of those cars.

1997-2001 manual transmission cars have flip up headlights, 3.2 engine, and 6-speed tranny.

Thank you for the confirmation, I'll now for sure look for the NA1 with the C32B block with it.

One more question, any coupe were made after the Targa one came out? or the targa replaced the coupe production line

Uh, no. There is no such thing as “NA1 with the C32B block.”

NA1 or NA2 designates the engine size, not the year or headlight or roof configuration.

All automatics 1991-2005 are NA1 (3.0 engine).
1991-1996 5-speed manual cars are NA1 (3.0 engine).
1997-2005 6-speed manual cars are NA2 (3.2 engine).

The NA1 or NA2 is in each car’s VIN number.

Most 1995-2001 cars are targas. Coupes could be special ordered 1996-2001.

Last edited:
Thank you for the confirmation, I'll now for sure look for the NA1 with the C32B block with it.

One more question, any coupe were made after the Targa one came out? or the targa replaced the coupe production line

You’re not the first person to be confused by the NA1/NA2 notation. Even classic.com has it wrong.

I’m traveling without my laptop, but here’s a quickie overview of the major changes by year.
IMG_2741.jpeg

As @centerpunch noted, NA1 & NA2 refer to the engine displacement - that's it (although some lump the 6-speed in with it as well.) But since so many authorities get it wrong and think it's the fixed headlights or the Targa top, here is a chart, with NA1 in orange and NA2 in green:
Screen Shot 2024-03-18 at 11.19.21 AM.png

So from the chart, if the OP wants a 3.2 and pop-ups, he wants 1997-2001. There's not much difference between the 1995/6 & the NA2's either, especially with the JDM gear set. And the 95/96's are both cheaper and more plentiful. The 6-speed is probably a bigger change, and the new ABS in 2000 definitely is. But there aren't that many 2000-2001's out there. (USDM 2001 Red on Black: 10)

Maybe we should stick this chart on a the changes by year or a Wiki page somewhere. :)

Last edited:
As @centerpunch noted, NA refers to the engine displacement - that's it, although some lump the 6-speed in with it as well. But since so many authorities get it wrong, here is a chart, with NA1 in orange and NA2 in green:

Maybe we should stick this chart on a the changes by year or a Wiki page somewhere. :)
Did you just make that? Nice!

FYI I put the headlight and roof configuration as the first items because those seem to be how people think about the cars, engine size not usually the first priority.

Last edited:
I thought it easier to emphasise what the NA code actually applies to, but as you wish :) ...

Screen Shot 2024-03-22 at 10.40.45 AM.png

I do fear gaps in my knowledge, so Prime please chime in with corrections, or if we've missed a critical line. @Honcho , please don't make me add your Type S0.

Last edited:
I thought it easier to emphasise what the NA code actually applies to, but as you wish :) ...

My only fear is that I've got something wrong in my knowledge, so Prime please chime in with corrections. @Honcho , please don't make me add your Type S0.

I confirmed with Mr. Wisner, so we should be good.

But I’d change the heading to:

Wild Turkey’s pretty redesign and slight edit of centerpunch’s
NSX major changes by year (and NA1/NA2 explained)

lol….

OMG, thank you so much @centerpunch and @Wild Turkey for the infomations, it really helps me clear out the confusion I had, I truly appreciated! NA1 and NA2 it's not based on their appearances, its for the different block they using and perhaps some other minor changes. Yes, I'll def save both of ur charts! Once again, thanks both of you for the info and charts!

So here's the final conclusion for my post:
There's still a chance for me to find a NSX/NSX-T that build between 1997 and 2001, that comes with the C32B and 6MT and popup headlights.

So here's the final conclusion for my post:
There's still a chance for me to find a NSX/NSX-T that build between 1997 and 2001, that comes with the C32B and 6MT and popup headlights.

ALL manual tranny NSX from 1997 through 2001 have popup headlights, 3.2 engines, and 6 speed tranny.

As @centerpunch noted, NA1 & NA2 refer to the engine displacement - that's it (although some lump the 6-speed in with it as well.) But since so many authorities get it wrong and think it's the fixed headlights or the Targa top, here is a chart, with NA1 in orange and NA2 in green:
View attachment 189250

So from the chart, if the OP wants a 3.2 and pop-ups, he wants 1997-2001. There's not much difference between the 1995/6 & the NA2's either, especially with the JDM gear set. And the 95/96's are both cheaper and more plentiful. The 6-speed is probably a bigger change, and the new ABS in 2000 definitely is. But there aren't that many 2000-2001's out there. (USDM 2001 Red on Black: 10)

Maybe we should stick this chart on a the changes by year or a Wiki page somewhere.
I also saw someone replaced a 1.5 way LSD and a 4.44 Final Drive, I do know about the LSD, but what exactly is the final drive, is it something to do with gear ratio?

Not to waylay this tread as i have not yet read Honcho's S threads, but from my memory there were a few years that you could special order a 3.2 6 speed COUPE. This car turned a 12.8 1/4 mile time which for the first time got the attention of the US drag race guys and didn't have the potential chassis flex of the T for track use. I do LOVE T-tops for the street and would never sway a potential T owner, but back in the day these coupes were the cats meow for the purist. I've often wondered how many of these made it into the US? I personally have gone the "fake" R/S route fully realizing that my resale value was greatly damaged. Did Larry Ellison buy all of them-he-he?, god bless him if he did. Requiring minds want to know?

Back