• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Disappointed with comptech supercher (9lbs)

Hi NSXers,
I have been running Larry's custom turbo for almost 2 months now. I have to say that I am very very satisfied with the power and response. The car hasn't been dynoed yet, and it is currently running at 6 psi. I had the opportunity to get a ride in a 9psi comptech supercharger, along with CT headers, exhaust and clutch. Here are some of my impressions....
The car is really smooth, a very gradual increase in speed and torque. However, I can't really feel the "pull" until 5500rpm or above...
My conclusion is that I am bit disappointed with the supercharger itself. I would really expect something more for something that costs over 10k. But I really respect the quality and cleaness of the unit. I will bring my car to the next NSXSC meeting, and people can give their own opinion then.

I have been in 4 Comptech SC NSXs, all of them don't feel fast straight line. Where NSX shines is on the road course where the driver can appreciate the car's balance. I would think the Comptech unit is the most reliable force induction out there. Even with a SC, I think the NSX is at similiar speed as a stock Z06 at the road course. The difference between them is the NSX feels alot better. After test drove the 02 Z06, it did not feel very well but it sure is cheap for the type of performance.

Originally posted by jackmac:
Hi NSXers,
I have been running Larry's custom turbo for almost 2 months now. I have to say that I am very very satisfied with the power and response. The car hasn't been dynoed yet, and it is currently running at 6 psi. I had the opportunity to get a ride in a 9psi comptech supercharger, along with CT headers, exhaust and clutch. Here are some of my impressions....
The car is really smooth, a very gradual increase in speed and torque. However, I can't really feel the "pull" until 5500rpm or above...
My conclusion is that I am bit disappointed with the supercharger itself. I would really expect something more for something that costs over 10k. But I really respect the quality and cleaness of the unit. I will bring my car to the next NSXSC meeting, and people can give their own opinion then.

You sort of answered your own complaint.... The CT supercharger is designed to be smooth, just like the factory torque curve of the car.

This is the same reason people coming from other turbo cars (supra, rx7, 3000gt, etc.) sometimes feel the stock NSX is slow even though it may actually be faster than their previous car. The difference is that the power is spread smoothly across a very wide RPM band as opposed to being "peaky" which you feel more but doesn't make it any faster.

Originally posted by jackmac:

I think you need to recalibrate your seat-of-the-pants dyno. I've driven several CT SC cars and have seen numerous dyno charts and to put it simply, there is no extra "pull" (by which I infer you mean torque) after 5.5K rpm - just extra noise...

In a CT SC NSX, the torque curve is like a plateau from 2.5K to redline and within that range the torque is higher than the peak torque of a stock NSX.

Incidentally, I've seen this > 5K remark before - it's not true of the stock engine and its not true of the the CT SC cars - in both, the torque doesn't meaningfully go up after 5K, it simply doesn't fall off.

--twc

99 NSX-Z SC (360 RWHP)
95 Dinan M3 SC (290 RWHP)
95 BMW M3 (Bone Stock)

Even with a SC, I think the NSX is at similiar speed as a stock Z06 at the road course.

And, based on a recent article in a major automotive magazine, the same is true of the NSX without a supercharger.

I've driven several CT SC cars and have seen numerous dyno charts and to put it simply, there is no extra "pull" (by which I infer you mean torque) after 5.5K rpm - just extra noise...

And that is also true of the NSX without a supercharger.

I've been in a Turbo NSX (Turbo was ~400RWHP I believe), and I also come from a TT Supra (years ago).

I love my SC'd NSX (only 6PSI). The pull in first is wonderful - more than my old Supra (which was ~350RWHP) - but it's 'different'. The torque makes a launch in 1st much more impressive, but it doesn't have the 'high RPM kick-in' like the Supra/RX7, etc. does.

I think a simple solution is to get a dyno chart of both cars. Numbers don't lie, and the graph will visually tell you what you're experiencing.

------------------
David Allen
'00 Silverstone NSX-T
Comptech SC, Headers, Intake, Exhaust & a little Mark Basch tweakage

I think the boost on the BaschBoost SC rises exponentially compared to the Comptech SC which should have nearly constant boost over the same RPM range. So the BB SC feels more like a turbo.

Bryan Zublin

------------------
Zublin Engineering
http://www.zublin.com

Back