• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

DIY CHEAP Alternative 02+ NA2 Tail Light Conversion?

Just a thought, considering how 02+ tail lights are pretty bank, im one of those who would like to update my 96 rear end to a 02+ but budget is a factor.

I've been thinking lately about a DIY 02+ style lens using a pre 01 lamp.

visually and physically the only difference is the amber turn signals ovals which are 3d indented with a curve.

i want to share the idea of perhaps

Option 1: modifying my 96 lens with a oval cutout and install a curved amber replacement.

Option 2: Simply an add-on piece to place over the existing lens

Just a thought.

Honestly, I think that is a horrible idea. In the spirit if being nice I will say this in a very calm way.....dont hack up a NSX please. If you dont want to spend the money on 02 tail lights then do what the rest of us poor folks do an embrace NA1 tail lights. Just lie and tell people you think it looks better.

If you think you can do it, do it! You never know it might come out nice. It's all about skills and you have to know what you are doing too :smile:

Honestly, I think that is a horrible idea. In the spirit if being nice I will say this in a very calm way.....dont hack up a NSX please. If you dont want to spend the money on 02 tail lights then do what the rest of us poor folks do an embrace NA1 tail lights. Just lie and tell people you think it looks better.

pre 02 tail lights look better :)

Well like any set up, it all comes down to your own preference.... I will not plan on doing this modification my self on my own car... If I do get my hands on a used any side taillight I may just try to rig it up... I personally do not have the skill in hacking this up... I will bring the lens to my local plastic fabrication (tap plastic). That way everything will be done precisely and accurately.... This is definently not a simple dremel project... I wish I can say money is no object but it is.. Lol and I honestly say I like the 02 lights because I can then convience myself that I spent 30k on a 2002 car haha.. And not a 15 yr old.... I get that quite often... A lot of random strangers think the Nsx is some cheaply priced car.. Untill I tell them the price I paid and blue book value. I always end up with the same response.. " you spend how much on a 20 year old car?, you could've gotten a __________ lol"

pre 02 tail lights look better :)

Given that I've liked the NSX since its release, I'm partial to the pre-02 versions

All debates herein eventually arrive at... its yours man, do whatever you want

My recommendation - buy a spare set off a salvage and hack that up and keep your OEMs

Here is a cheap solution for your project:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-Self-Adhesive-Amber-Yellow-Round-Circular-Trailer-Caravan-Reflectors-60mm-/280786734482?pt=UK_Trailers_Transporters_Parts&hash=item4160318d92#ht_1536wt_1163
kgrhqyokjwe45ykurnebogo.jpg

Just remove its back reflector part so it becomes transparent again, and fit it over the oem lens with a double tape and send us some pictures :biggrin:

Back