• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

DMV denied my plate

So I shortened my forum handle from "bengl3rt" to "bngl3rt" thinking that, of course, BNGL3RT would be the perfect license plate for my NSX.

I just got a letter from the DMV that my request for the vanity plate has been denied on account of the fact that it uses a number in place of a letter and this could be confusing to the police when they run the plate to check if I have an arrest warrant or a suspended license.

They also say that I can send them a letter contesting the denial. Now, bengl3rt has been my internet handle forever, on Twitter and a hundred other services (Soundcloud, every forum, etc...). Do you think if I include a few URLs in the letter demonstrating that this is (and has been) my online identity for some time, they will reverse the denial?

I always thought it meant your name is Ben with "alert" at the end, I have no idea why the letter "g" is in their. What does bengl3rt mean anyways?

Do you think if I include a few URLs in the letter demonstrating that this is (and has been) my online identity for some time, they will reverse the denial?
I don't know, but I bet nobody else will know for sure, either. Not until you try doing so, anyway.

In your letter, you might also explain what the name means, just so they know it isn't anything undesirable.

uhh, what does benglert mean?

I always thought it meant your name is Ben with "alert" at the end, I have no idea why the letter "g" is in their. What does bengl3rt mean anyways?

It's my full name mashed together into a single word... my name is Ben and my last name also starts with En (my parents sure have a sense of humor). The second E becomes a 3 and whoomp, there it is.

It's all how you justify in the description, thats how I got HERRO lol

I just got a letter from the DMV that my request for the vanity plate has been denied on account of the fact that it uses a number in place of a letter and this could be confusing to the police when they run the plate to check if I have an arrest warrant or a suspended license.

We can't have you confusing our law enforcement!! They have a hard enough time keeping track of their crayons and knowing when to stop shooting you. We can't expect them to know the difference between numbers and letters of the alphabet.

I would contest your denial by telling the DMV you are voluntarily giving up your right to own any guns and common sense.

Last edited:
We can't have you confusing our law enforcement!! They have a hard enough time keeping track of their crayons and knowing when to stop shooting you. We can't expect them to know the difference between numbers and letters of the alphabet.

They sure can't seem to remember my rights when they pull me over...

Anyway, if you are around the Silly Valley on 1/5 please come to the meet! I would looooooove to see some GC-07s in person.

I was turned down for JAP4RE for slang not numbers though. I had to abbreviate to fit it on the plate.

My letter caused them to reconsider! Yay! I'm 18 weeks or less away (LOL) from putting BNGL3RT on my car.

If you're interested, here is the letter I sent them:

To whom it may concern,

I understand the primary concern with the “BNGL3RT” license plate is the use of “3” in place of the letter “E”. However, using the plate search function on dmv.ca.gov, I have confirmed that the potentially conflicting plate, “BNGLERT”, has not yet been issued. Perhaps the DMV would consider issuing the BNGL3RT plate, and preventing the subsequent issue of the BNGLERT plate in order to allay any confusion.

The specific importance of the “3” in place of the “E” comes from “bengl3rt”, which is my online pseudonym on a large number of online services. Here are a few web addresses as an example:

http://twitter.com/bengl3rt
https://soundcloud.com/bengl3rt

Therefore the use of a number in place of a letter, in this instance, is not arbitrary but rather an attempt to approximate an existing nickname.

I hope this information will be of use in your continued review of my request.

Thanks, and happy new year!

I would contest your denial by telling the DMV you are voluntarily giving up your right to own any guns and common sense.

I was just about to get off this "time wasting" topic (for me of coarse :smile:) but then I read the quote above and said "Thank you Lord for letting me read this topic, I have just read something that I will be using to cheer me up for years to come" My wife was in thge background wondering what I was talking about and joined me in the laughter... Great stuff!!

PS my vanity plate is my "forum handle" too. I thought about using an 3... but didn't

I was just about to get off this "time wasting" topic (for me of coarse :smile:) but then I read the quote above and said "Thank you Lord for letting me read this topic, I have just read something that I will be using to cheer me up for years to come" My wife was in thge background wondering what I was talking about and joined me in the laughter... Great stuff!!

PS my vanity plate is my "forum handle" too. I thought about using an 3... but didn't

Sigh.... I think it was lost on most, glad you enjoyed it! It's sad but true.

Back