• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Does Waxing hurt the paint

Is there any chemical that I need to look out for to insure that Waxing my car will not damage the paint? Or should I stay away from wax altogether? I saw online that "By using a wax/polish that contain abrasives, the top oxidized layers of the colorants/pigments of enamel paints are removed, which exposed the fresh unoxidized colorants/pigments with the original gloss"(From http://www.carspace.com/guides/Should-I-use-a-wax-or-polish-to-remove-oxidized-paint)

I don't know if I am misinterpreting the information but I wanted to make sure I will not be damaging the paint if I use wax.

They're simply telling you not to use a wax/polish that contains abrasives.

The best procedure you can use on your car is, after washing the car, to then use a cleaner (either a paint cleaner like Zymol HD-Cleanse, which does not contain physical abrasives, or a clay product like Clay Magic, or both), before applying a wax or protectant in a separate, final step. This applies no matter what brand of detailing products you are using.

There are also one-step "cleaner-wax" or "wax-polish" products on the market that will not give you the same quality results. Some of these contain physical abrasives.

Physical abrasives (including fine ones such as swirl mark removers as well as coarser ones such as polishing compounds) wear down the paint. They have their place in detailing, primarily when the finish is severely damaged with swirl marks, scratches, etc. But they need to be used with care and not on a regular, routine basis.

I didn't look at the link, but just from reading your post, it sounds a lot like they're talking about single stage paint.

On most cars newer then then late 80's they are applying clear coats, there's not any more colored coat on top so you can't harm that part. It's a clear coat on top of a colored coat.

Abrasive polishes are designed to be used with a machine polisher and not by hand so if you do it by hand it can dull the finish. The abrasives need the friction and heat to break down to refine the finish, if they do not break down they will not refine but dull the finish....

Josh

On most cars newer then then late 80's they are applying clear coats, there's not any more colored coat on top so you can't harm that part. It's a clear coat on top of a colored coat.
The Formula Red NSX has a tinted clear coat.

Back