• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Does your car make sounds when its off?

I noticed my car makes a humming sound once in a while. It's completely off just sitting in my garage and sometimes it randomly hums. It hums for like 3 seconds then it stops. Can't source where its coming from since its so quick. Is this normal? :confused:

I noticed my car makes a humming sound once in a while. It's completely off just sitting in my garage and sometimes it randomly hums. It hums for like 3 seconds then it stops. Can't source where its coming from since its so quick. Is this normal? :confused:

It's normal, my car also does it. I know it's comming from the engine bay but I couldn't figure out more.

Strange, I know the car is still pulling a bit of juice when it shutoff to power small things like the clock, factory alarm and keep the settings in the ECU. I didn't know it could turn on a fan or maybe a pump when its off. Can anyone confirm what it is?

Yes, normal. Both of ours do this. I recall a past thread about it, but no time to search for it right now.

Fan's are a common noise.
If you have a aftermarket intake, (some stock ones do it as well certainly with a intake scoop)
Cars will blow off as the vacuum neutralizes in your intake.
Although on my daily it sounds more like a toilet flushing, i have heard cars blowing off like shotguns.

After a drive short or long mine makes a pinning type of noise for 30 to 50 seconds. Is that normal? I never heard it hum before.

^ I think the "pinning" noise your hearing is from the heatshields on the exhaust on headers expanding and shrinking from rapid cooling once you shutoff the engine. This is common on all cars.

Hmmm, good to know this humming noise normal. Mine sounds like one of those submerged aquarium pumps.

Last edited:
^
Hmmm, good to know this humming noise normal. Mine sounds like one of those submerged aquarium pumps.

Exactly what it sounds like, Coconut. It cycles on for 2-7 seconds, then off. I notice it even 3-5 hours after flogging the NSX. No worries, it's a Honda! :biggrin:

Great catch and link, Mike.

Not many of those guys posting in it are around any more.

Could be pressure releasing with the fuel pressure regulator? This happened with me and it drove me nuts until I finally changed it out. No rhyme or reason to time frame either.

Mine does this on occasion as well. Sounds like a humming fog horn, or some sort of boat horn you would hear near a bay. Never have been able to source the cause either, but it comes from the rear end of the vehicle.

Back