• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Dolphin Abduction - This is Insane!

Can't we as a species find something else to entertain ourselves with. "Sick!"

http://www.saddestdolphins.com/captive/captive.html

Keeping dolphins in captivity shows a lack of intelligence in humans. Your thoughts?

Please send an e-mail to Resorts World, Sentosa. These beautiful creatures, need your help. Tell your friends.

Keeping dolphins in captivity shows a lack of intelligence in humans. Your thoughts?

Please send an e-mail to Resorts World, Sentosa. These beautiful creatures, need your help. Tell your friends.

This isnt even the worst thing that happens to dolphins. Take a look at what the Japanase whalers do to them =(

There's a documentary film called "The cove" made in 2009 that talk about the Japensese dolphin hunting culture.

The location the documentary talks about is in Taiji, Wakayama, Japan.

Here's a wiki link

When they lure the dolphins into the cove for slaughter, the whole cove's sea water truns blood red. It's sad just thinking about it and typing this... :mad:

This isnt even the worst thing that happens to dolphins. Take a look at what the Japanase whalers do to them =(

that's true, but look at what Americans do to other countries with their guns ablaze.......

Oh, not to mention contribute to our economic demise.....

How are dogs, cats or any other "pets" different. :confused:

They are "not" as intelligent and don't have flippers........

some are intelligent.

OK, so if invading a soveriegn country, unprovoked, under false pretense by our government, killing over 30,000 innocent women and children (just like your own family) and so many of our young patriots makes you feel good about freedom, what would make you feel bad? Stupid question! Obviously, it would be slavery (all we had to do was kill each other to stop that)?

Are we talking about America being founded?

thread-direction.jpg

Finkle is Einhorn....
<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nx3-sxhewlo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Just a gentle reminder boys and girls from your friendly neighborhood Moderator to please keep this on topic and avoid political rhetoric.

tumblr_kvlu5vVlMx1qauqdqo1_500.jpg

This is a tough subject. In some aspects I think its a good thing. The dolphins are well fed and are safe from being hunted. Then the down side they are in a confined tank and taking away from their family. I think I will lean more to its a good thing on the subject. I would be hypocrite if I said its a bad thing because I have saltwater fish in a confined tank. Am I a horrible person for collecting fish?

This is a tough subject. In some aspects I think its a good thing. The dolphins are well fed and are safe from being hunted. Then the down side they are in a confined tank and taking away from their family. I think I will lean more to its a good thing on the subject. I would be hypocrite if I said its a bad thing because I have saltwater fish in a confined tank. Am I a horrible person for collecting fish?

Yes:tongue:

I guess all you have to do is put yourself in their place. You were born free in a great big world, then someone gets you, puts you in confines and trains you to act in an unnatural way. :eek: Hey, wait a minute, that sounds like my life.
What's for supper Honey? Cow, chicken, fish, pig, lobster, deer, goose, duck, etc.? Our menu of edible animals is almost endless. I don't think we eat porpoise though (dolphin is actually a fish and the post subjects are mammals), lucky them!

How are dogs, cats or any other "pets" different. :confused:

Really? Dogs and cats are "domesticated" animals, a dolphin lives in the ocean. Put your dog outside and he will want to come back in within 20 minutes. Let a dolphin go into another dolphin family in the ocean and you will never see it again. There is no comparison at all.

If you have a shitty tank, then yes. If your tank is large, well maintained, and contains smaller fish, then less so. You can't compare the intelligence level of a dolphin to that of a typical saltwater fish (although even most of them are more intelligent than we give them credit for as many owners can attest to).

This is not a tough subject at all. Here is how you tell whether the capitivity of an animal is right or not. Give IT the choice. Like I said above, a dog will come back. So will a cat. If you release a dolphin that has been captive its whole life, it may come back too, simply because it is afraid. Even some humans that have spent most of their life in prison actually find the outside world rather freightening. And these are HUMANS. But if you release that dolphin into another family of dolphins, it will most likely never come back.

The short of it is that we shouldn't be making the decision for an intelligent animal as to what is best for it. Nature has always done a great job at that. The less we fool with it, the better IMO.

Last edited:
The point of this thread was to find out how you felt about capturing and using dolphins for pure entertainment.

Much has been written and discussed regarding the hunting and killing for food, oil, fertilizer and other products. As well as contamination of their environment. Or killed by fishing driftnets, damming, boat traffic, shoreline developement, swallowing man-made objects, etc. Or being used to find tuna or bait for crab pots. Or even taken into captivity for research purposes to better understand and help the species.

But again, this thread regarded capture and containment of the mammal for entertainment purposes only. There have been references made to keeping pets such as cats, dogs and fish tanks, etc. Not the same. Batmans post was as close to completely understanding the difference here. This is an extremely social and intelligent mammal much like the chimp or even the human. Removing it from it’s natural habit is devastating and we seem to be fooled by it’s friendly nature and that, in some sick way, justifies it to us. Not forgetting there is money to be made as well.

Please read the article again and staying on topic in regard to capture for entertainment only, post your thoughts.

Does it matter whether it is for "entertainment" or for some other stupid reason? Or do you think the only stupid reason is entertainment and all other reasons are justified?

What abouit elephants in circuses? Elephants are some of the most intelligent creatures on the planet, form strong family bonds, and have extremely long term memories. They actually hold grudges and remember who was good to them and who was not. They visit and pay a sort of respect to their dead. They put their own lives at risk to save another.

Does an African lion belong in a 20x20 metal cage at a zoo? There are lions in hotel lobbies in Vegas. I was at a local zoo watching a beautiful snow leopard in a 10x20 cell pace back and forth and back and forth like an insane person for 30 minutes straight, clearly distressed and clearly in pain.

I find your post to be an intelligent, and thought provoking one. I also agree with you that keeping any of these animals for entertainment purposes is a rather heinous act. I just think that the issue is not limited to a dolphin at Resorts World. You asked for sharing of thoughts, so that is what I am doing here.

Really? Dogs and cats are "domesticated" animals, a dolphin lives in the ocean. Put your dog outside and he will want to come back in within 20 minutes. Let a dolphin go into another dolphin family in the ocean and you will never see it again. There is no comparison at all.

How did they become "domesticated"? :rolleyes:

Does it matter whether it is for "entertainment" or for some other stupid reason? Or do you think the only stupid reason is entertainment and all other reasons are justified?

What abouit elephants in circuses? Elephants are some of the most intelligent creatures on the planet, form strong family bonds, and have extremely long term memories. They actually hold grudges and remember who was good to them and who was not. They visit and pay a sort of respect to their dead. They put their own lives at risk to save another.

Does an African lion belong in a 20x20 metal cage at a zoo? There are lions in hotel lobbies in Vegas. I was at a local zoo watching a beautiful snow leopard in a 10x20 cell pace back and forth and back and forth like an insane person for 30 minutes straight, clearly distressed and clearly in pain.

I find your post to be an intelligent, and thought provoking one. I also agree with you that keeping any of these animals for entertainment purposes is a rather heinous act. I just think that the issue is not limited to a dolphin at Resorts World. You asked for sharing of thoughts, so that is what I am doing here.

All points well taken. Never said elephants or snow leopards were justified. There is clearly pain there as well. Trying to keep it limited to the dolphin for now or this topic and thread could go on forever. Kinda like supporting your favorite charity.

Back