• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

downshift 5th to 4th

I have 91 NSX 5 speed manual, 52,000 miles. Lately I've ground gears a few times downshifting from 5th to 4th. Wasn't doing anything fancy at the time. First time I thought maybe I had somehow screwed up. But a couple times since I was consciously pretty careful and still got the grinding. Doesn't happen every time; I've also made the shift OK a few times. What is probably going on and what is the prognosis?

If it also crunches when you upshift from third to fourth, then it could be the synchros (as DONYMO mentions) or, more likely, the hub selectors.

However, if it's only doing it on downshifts, my money says that it is grinding because you are not matching revs accurately.

W said:
Double clutching will take care of your crunching woes.

It'll stop the symptom, but it won't cure the problem. Start with blipping the throttle to match revs on the downshift. But if your problem is present on the 3-4 upshift as Ken asks, it could be synchros or hub selectors, and should be fixed.

As another member mentioned, its sounds as if you are not matching RPM's properly since it only occurs during high downshifts.

If there is no problem with shifting technique, my vote is for a worn hub selector.

I had a similar problem with my hub selector going into 4th (upshifting).

brahtw8 said:
If there is no problem with shifting technique, my vote is for a worn hub selector.

I had a similar problem with my hub selector going into 4th (upshifting).
And you probably had the hub selector replaced by the same mechanic who did mine. :D

no i think your issue was that you were granny shifting and not double clutching like you should.:biggrin:

And your issue is that you didn't look at the date on this thread.... :wink:

Back