• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Driving Pet Peeves

I did a search but the closest I could find was this one:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/129774-Pet-Peeves?highlight=peeve

I thought it might be fun to list our Driving Pet Peeves. I'll start (yes, I have been musing on this for quite a while. I have a long commute, gives me time to think about all sorts of inane stuff). Post your contributions!

Driving Pet Peeves

Drivers:
- Drivers who are making a left turn across a divided road, who don’t know where their cars start and end, pull out, leave 15 or 20 feet between their front bumper and the lane of traffic they’re trying to turn left into, and have the back half of their cars blocking the left lane of the direction they’re trying to cross. PLEASE, get all the way into the median!!!
- Drivers who wait until the last minute to get into the right lane to turn right.
- Worse, Drivers who come out from behind you in the right lane, pass, and at the last second dive in front of you to make a right turn.
- Drivers who get out of a lane of traffic and use a highway entrance merge lane to pass.
- Drivers who pass on the right when there is an open left lane.
- Drivers who don’t use turn signals. (When did turn signals become optional equipment on cars sold in South Florida? “You know how I knew that car was going to turn? Didn’t have its turn signal on.”)
- Drivers who either don’t know or don’t care about the “move over law” for emergency vehicles.
- Drivers who flash bright lights at slower cars in the left lane, when NOT on limited access highways. Ya know, that slower car might actually need to turn left.
- Drivers who are like remora fish on sharks: hang on your bumper, regardless of what speed you go. You speed up, they speed up. You slow down, they slow down. Have no mind of their own.
- Worse, remora fish in the lane to the left of you, just off your rear bumper, especially if on a four-lane limited access highway, blocking the left fast lane.
- Still worse, remora fish in the lane to the right of you, just off your rear bumper, squarely in the blind spot.
- Speaking of blind spots, Drivers who don’t know how to set their side view mirrors so that there really ISN’T a blind spot. (Why show in the side mirrors what you can already see in the rear view mirror? Position them further OUT so you eliminate most if not all of the blind spots on both sides of the car!)
- Left Lane Bandits (OK, this one had to be there.)
- Drivers who don’t yield to pedestrians in cross-walks.
- Drivers who either don’t hear or don’t care about emergency vehicles with sirens blaring, and don’t get out of the way.
- Worse, drivers who honk at you for not going on a green light when there is an emergency vehicle that you have heard and seen but they have not because they are playing their radio too loudly.
- Drivers who don’t let a semi-truck make a lane change, making a lane change of their own to pass the truck which is displaying a flashing turn signal.
- Drivers who hit the brakes on the highway when they see a state trooper, even if they are already at or below the speed limit.
- Drivers who hit the brakes on the highway when they see a state trooper – only about 100 feet ahead of them. Where are these people looking when they drive? At their own hood ornaments? Oh, yeah, I forgot, they are looking at their phone.
- Of course, anyone talking on their cell phone or, doubly of course, anyone reading or writing a text.
- Drivers reading a newspaper or a book at highway speeds in rush hour traffic. Yes, I have seen this many, many times.
- Drivers who weave in and out of traffic, excessively changing lanes, don’t look beyond the two or three cars blocking their way, and get stuck back behind you eventually anyway. “I’m in front of you again. HOW DOES THAT HAPPEN?!?!?” 
- Drivers who rubber neck and cause a traffic slowdown or stoppage when there’s a traffic jam or accident ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE HIGHWAY.
- Drivers who turn right on red even when there is a sign “NO RIGHT TURN ON RED”.
- Worse, Drivers who honk at you for not turning right on red even when there is a sign “NO RIGHT TURN ON RED”.
- Drivers who don’t know that in many states it is legal to make a left turn on red from a one-way street onto a one-way street.
- Drivers who blow through active school zones. In my experience, the biggest school zone offenders are mommy-box mini-vans turning into schools to drop off their own kids, or especially, drivers turning into the employee parking lots of schools.

Roads:
- Traffic signals that are not synchronized: Get a green light, accelerate normally to the speed limit, drive 200 yards (or less), and get caught by the next traffic light turning yellow. Repeat at the next stop light. And the stop light after that. And . . . you get the idea.
- Temporary orange construction zone “lane ends, merge (right or left)” signs that are not taken down when the lane doesn’t really end, teaching drivers to ignore the merge sign and always wait until the last possible second to merge.

Other:
- Fifteen-to-20-year-old vans and pickups (mostly old Chevies for some reason) spewing eye-burning, stinky exhausts.
- Gravel trucks barreling down the highway, hitting transitions between the regular road and bridges, and coating the road with gravel. PING-PING-PING, there are three more rock chips!
- Garbage trucks that absolutely stink. And you have your top off and can’t avoid it. How long can you hold your breath?
- Driving past landfills or waste disposal processing centers (we call them “poopy plants”).

Wow that is a lot...but I can still add a few.

People leaving the blue handicap parking tag hanging from the mirror while driving - ITS BLOCKING YOUR VIEW AND IS NOT SUPPOSED TO THERE WHILE DRIVING.

Passengers with their FEET on the dashboard.
Anyone dumping anything out of the window
Anyone that can't change their own tire.

Pretty good list.. I like the one above and want to take it a step further.
- Drivers who overly yield to pedestrians in cross-walks.

Here in CA we have 6 and 8+ lane highways and I've seen drivers wait for a pedestrian to make it from one side of the street all the way to the other curb before beginning their turn (the guy is 8 lanes away!!!). While I believe this is completely legal (and actually the law), I think it's a HUGE waste of people's time, especially if the light changes red immediately after they make it across.

Another one that just happened to me this Christmas Eve,

- Drivers that hook or flash their highbeams when you turn into their lane signaling that's you're too close, yet there's over 4+ carlength's of space!!

And one that happens almost daily by my work
-Making a right hand turn from a two lane road to a 3 lane road, the driver in the 1st lane always swings wide (swinging into me, or cutting me off) to go into lane 2 and sometimes in lane 3.

Last edited:
People leaving the blue handicap parking tag hanging from the mirror while driving - ITS BLOCKING YOUR VIEW AND IS NOT SUPPOSED TO THERE WHILE DRIVING.

Which reminds me: people with no obvious handicap parking in the handicap spots. I'll give most people the benefit of the doubt, but we have friends that have a handicap tag, and use it when parking lots are full. But the person to whom the placard was issued, while having been legally issued the tag, can walk literally MILES with no problems. . . .

--Making a right hand turn from a two lane road to a 3 lane road, the driver in the 1st lane always swings wide (swinging into me, or cutting me off) to go into lane 2 and sometimes in lane 3.

Oooh, yes, there's another one. Drivers in the left lane of a double left turn lane, who need to turn RIGHT into the first driveway . . . . or drivers in the left lane of a double left turn lane who DON'T turn into the far left turn lane, but drift across into the middle lane of the street turning onto. The former are usually just d*ckheads, the latter usually cotton-tops (aka q-tips aka lizard skins aka nearly-deads . . . . )

Last edited:
Next time leave a few for us to post.....

I thought it might be fun to list our Driving Pet Peeves. I'll start (yes, I have been musing on this for quite a while. I have a long commute, gives me time to think about all sorts of inane stuff). Post your contributions!

Driving Pet Peeves

Drivers:
- Drivers who are making a left turn across a divided road, who don’t know where their cars start and end, pull out, leave 15 or 20 feet between their front bumper and the lane of traffic they’re trying to turn left into, and have the back half of their cars blocking the left lane of the direction they’re trying to cross. PLEASE, get all the way into the median!!!
- Drivers who wait until the last minute to get into the right lane to turn right.
- Worse, Drivers who come out from behind you in the right lane, pass, and at the last second dive in front of you to make a right turn.
- Drivers who get out of a lane of traffic and use a highway entrance merge lane to pass.
- Drivers who don’t use turn signals. (When did turn signals become optional equipment on cars sold in South Florida? “You know how I knew that car was going to turn? Didn’t have its turn signal on.”)
- Drivers who either don’t know or don’t care about the “move over law” for emergency vehicles.
- Drivers who flash bright lights at slower cars in the left lane, when NOT on limited access highways. Ya know, that slower car might actually need to turn left.
- Drivers who are like remora fish on sharks: hang on your bumper, regardless of what speed you go. You speed up, they speed up. You slow down, they slow down. Have no mind of their own.
- Worse, remora fish in the lane to the left of you, just off your rear bumper, especially if on a four-lane limited access highway, blocking the left fast lane.
- Still worse, remora fish in the lane to the right of you, just off your rear bumper, squarely in the blind spot.
- Speaking of blind spots, Drivers who don’t know how to set their side view mirrors so that there really ISN’T a blind spot. (Why show in the side mirrors what you can already see in the rear view mirror? Position them further OUT so you eliminate most if not all of the blind spots on both sides of the car!)
- Left Lane Bandits (OK, this one had to be there.)
- Drivers who either don’t hear or don’t care about emergency vehicles with sirens blaring, and don’t get out of the way.
- Worse, drivers who honk at you for not going on a green light when there is an emergency vehicle that you have heard and seen but they have not because they are playing their radio too loudly.
- Drivers who don’t let a semi-truck make a lane change, making a lane change of their own to pass the truck which is displaying a flashing turn signal.
- Drivers who hit the brakes on the highway when they see a state trooper, even if they are already at or below the speed limit.
- Drivers who hit the brakes on the highway when they see a state trooper – only about 100 feet ahead of them. Where are these people looking when they drive? At their own hood ornaments? Oh, yeah, I forgot, they are looking at their phone.
- Of course, anyone talking on their cell phone or, doubly of course, anyone reading or writing a text.
- Drivers reading a newspaper or a book at highway speeds in rush hour traffic. Yes, I have seen this many, many times.
- Drivers who weave in and out of traffic, excessively changing lanes, don’t look beyond the two or three cars blocking their way, and get stuck back behind you eventually anyway. “I’m in front of you again. HOW DOES THAT HAPPEN?!?!?” 
- Drivers who rubber neck and cause a traffic slowdown or stoppage when there’s a traffic jam or accident ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE HIGHWAY.
- Drivers who turn right on red even when there is a sign “NO RIGHT TURN ON RED”.
- Worse, Drivers who honk at you for not turning right on red even when there is a sign “NO RIGHT TURN ON RED”.
- Drivers who don’t know that in many states it is legal to make a left turn on red from a one-way street onto a one-way street.
- Drivers who blow through active school zones. In my experience, the biggest school zone offenders are mommy-box mini-vans turning into schools to drop off their own kids, or especially, drivers turning into the employee parking lots of schools.

Roads:
- Traffic signals that are not synchronized: Get a green light, accelerate normally to the speed limit, drive 200 yards (or less), and get caught by the next traffic light turning yellow. Repeat at the next stop light. And the stop light after that. And . . . you get the idea.
- Temporary orange construction zone “lane ends, merge (right or left)” signs that are not taken down when the lane doesn’t really end, teaching drivers to ignore the merge sign and always wait until the last possible second to merge.

Other:
- Fifteen-to-20-year-old vans and pickups (mostly old Chevies for some reason) spewing eye-burning, stinky exhausts.
- Gravel trucks barreling down the highway, hitting transitions between the regular road and bridges, and coating the road with gravel. PING-PING-PING, there are three more rock chips!
- Garbage trucks that absolutely stink. And you have your top off and can’t avoid it. How long can you hold your breath?
- Driving past landfills or waste disposal processing centers (we call them “poopy plants”).

People who came from [insert state here] who are absolutely convinced that people in [insert your city here] are terrible drivers in [snow, rain, other weather condition]. Only people like them know how to handle such conditions.

I get irritated by the ones that dive to the shoulder every time they have to brake in traffic. If you're following them, all the dirt, gravel, etc. they stir up ends up on your car.

Pretty good list.. I like the one above and want to take it a step further.
- Drivers who overly yield to pedestrians in cross-walks.

Here in CA we have 6 and 8+ lane highways and I've seen drivers wait for a pedestrian to make it from one side of the street all the way to the other curb before beginning their turn (the guy is 8 lanes away!!!). While I believe this is completely legal (and actually the law), I think it's a HUGE waste of people's time, especially if the light changes red immediately after they make it across.

Another one that just happened to me this Christmas Eve,

- Drivers that hook or flash their highbeams when you turn into their lane signaling that's you're too close, yet there's over 4+ carlength's of space!!

And one that happens almost daily by my work
-Making a right hand turn from a two lane road to a 3 lane road, the driver in the 1st lane always swings wide (swinging into me, or cutting me off) to go into lane 2 and sometimes in lane 3.

If there is a center median present as long as the pedestrian is on the other side of it you are clear to make a right.

- - - Updated - - -

Drivers in cars with DRLs during dusk/evening/dawn who cannot tell the difference between DRLs and real headlights.

The drivers at night in the city that think DRLs are their headlights.

I hate it when dudes drive with their pants off. They seem to get confused and think the stick shift is their dick.

One more:

- Drivers who start slowing down on a major highway before they get to the exit deceleration lane, even if that lane is straight and 1/2 mile or even 3/4 mile long.

How about the a$$hole in front of you hitting the brakes when trying to merge onto the highway. Jackass, the gas pedal is on the right!

When there is right turn only lane into a new lane directly from the turn lane and the idiot makes a full stop, even when there isn't a stop light or sign.

- Speeding up to get in front of me ... Only to hit the brakes.

- Almost everything I experience while driving through China Town or Korea Town.

- Most Toyota Prius's

I hate when I'm the last car (or only car) approaching a semi in the other land, and the truck driver just cannot wait for me to pass before changing into my lane. I'm approaching with a 20+MPH advantage, and he wants to pass the semi in front of him even though his max speed is only 1mph faster than the truck he's trying to pass.

I hate being taligated.

I HATE being boxed in (drivers who accelerate up to a position along side my car and then match speed, seemingly oblivious to the fact that there is another car next to them).

I hate when drivers in other-than-the-right-lane refuse to drive at the prevaling speed of traffic, blocking multiple lanes from "braeking free" of the crowd of cars all piled up behind them.

I hate when a driver refuses to let me merge onto the freeway (speeding up, moving alongside me), and then when finally get in, he switches to the exit lane I just left).

Last edited:
I hate when people drive slow only to speed up at a yellow light and you wind up getting caught at the red.

I hate people that goes straight on turn only lanes.

Okay, I'll go. Another form of this...pull up to red light in right turn lane behind another car. Car in front makes no attempt to turn right or even check traffic to do so. Instead, d-bag uses this red-light time to eat McDonalds, send a text or make a call. A light tap on the horn rewards you with the finger or worse.

I hate the people "multi-tasking" while driving, you know the one's. The guy shaving in his rearview or the gal applying makeup, or worse yet, seemingly getting dressed while driving and unable to stay in their lane. Or my major peeve is all the day labor pickups with trailers running around the highways. The one's with lot's of loose building/construction material which always seems to fall off when you are behind them!

I hate being on a back road behind a pick up that thinks 15 under is acceptable, hits the brakes for every turn and almost engages the abs when going past a cyclist. To top it off when I go to pass said pick up the driver suddenly finds their balls/ ego and punches it thus resulting in them doubling their speed in an attempt to not have me pass them.

I would like to say that I hate BACK SEAT DRIVERS. They distract the driver, they try to tell the driver how to drive when he/she's the one actually looking at the road and mirrors, and generally seem to have control issues.

Just about anything I'd post here seems to involve drivers thinking only about themselves...driving offensively in all senses of the word and not one bit defensively. When not iphoning or texting it seems very few drivers think to glance around their mirrors every few moments to take inventory of what other drivers are doing, what's ahead, what's approaching from behind, to the sides, etc, before making any certain maneuvers...

Other than hopefully pissing off fewer drivers than average, I also think I've avoided countless accidents by taking an almost subconscious inventory of what's going on all around and in my mirrors at all times every moment or so...looking first in the rearview mirror before any significant braking, etc... Something stuck hard with me 20 years ago when a fellow Ford engineer flew us in his Cessna from Canton, Michigan to Sharonville, Ohio for a meeting at a transmission assembly plant rather than us driving down. I was really intrigued for some reason how was less concerned with taking in any awesome scenery or what was in front of us (um...empty airspace) and instead he'd constantly search for fields or highways in case a bail-out landing was needed, almost subconsciously flipping between that & the control readouts the entire time. I hope to teach my nephews to constantly take subtle inventory of their surroundings when driving and I refuse to use my phone when driving them, hoping to lead by example....they'd be ahead of 99.9% of their peers safety-wise...

Fav peeve tho is when in the middle or front of a pack of cars merging onto a highway where the lead car is merging in behind a truck going 5mph under the limit. Some yahoo usually in a BMW towards the back of the merging pack thinks his trip is the most important so he whips into the passing lane first as soon as he can making everyone in front of him wait to pass the truck instead of letting one of the front cars go first so many can get to pass together. Even better is when other cars from the rear of the pack follow his lead and then take their sweet time passing the pack & the truck, boxing in the lead cars behind the truck. Echoes of the Ohio Turnpike, the very absolute worst for this phenomena. :)

I agree with all but this one. The Interstate system was designed for slower traffic to use the right lane. To help drive the point home there are signs conspicuously posted that state "slow traffic keep right". If there is no traffic a driver should get right because they are the slowest traffic. If I'm in the far right lane cruising along and come up on a car in the middle lane I'm not gonna make two lane changes to go to the far left lane to pass, I'm gonna stay in the right lane and continue on about my business. Basically if I can get around you on the right you should have been right.

Obviously cars hogging the fast lane but especially cars with handicapped placards hogging the fast lane. Makes me wonder akin to the chicken and the egg- "do you drive like that because you are handicapped or are you handicapped because you drive like that?"

Touched on above but cars that don't get into the correct lane when executing a turn. Turn right, turn into the far right lane- not the middle or far left. Turn left, turn into the far left lane not the middle or far right. Establish yourself in the correct lane then signal to get to the lane you want.

Otherwise lazy or uncommunicative maneuvers...

Back